LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / 1941 convertible backfire to carb, with video

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 1941 convertible backfire to carb, with video -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

durk
10-07-2020 @ 3:15 AM

Hi,

I am new on this forum and i am from the Netherlands so sorry for my bad english.

i just bought a 1941 ford in america. The owner said it ran perfectly.
I think he and I have a different view on that.

The engine idles well. When I accelerate slowly, the engine also runs reasonably well. when I kick the gas I sometimes get a backfire or the engine throttles.
I've already turned the air nozzles and the engine will not run better because of this.

Below is a video. It is not very easy to hear.
If it is not good enough I can make another movie. (let me know)

(the rattling is the license plate holder)

https://youtu.be/LPnzcfypPlU

37RAGTOPMAN
10-07-2020 @ 7:29 AM
Senior

HI durk
welcome to the club,
with the ENGINE OFF !
take the air cleaner off, open the choke all the way.,
look down the carb throat, use a small flash light
now push or pump the throttle linkage to full throttle,
do you see a stream of gas ,coming out of the spray jet ? you should
if not the accelerator pump is not working
you might have to replace the accelerator pump, or it maybe clogged,
the photo should be for your carburetor part number 9642 is the pump. the leather may be worn, or broken ,or dried out?
it is a fairly easy fix, to replace the accelerator pump
hope this helps 37Ragtopman Maine
do you have a FORD REPAIR MANUAL ? will make your life easier,

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 10-7-20 @ 7:32 AM

TomO
10-07-2020 @ 8:01 AM
Senior

Welcome to the Forum.

Backfire through the carburetor is due to a lean mixture. It can be the accelerator pump, power valve or a vacuum leak.

Check to make sure that the vacuum hose to the wind shield wiper switch is not cracked at either end or disconnect it at the intake manifold connection and plug the connection.

Use carburetor cleaner or propane gas around the base of the carburetor, around the vacuum fittings for the windshield wipers and the distributor vacuum brake to check for a vacuum leak. The engine speed will increase slightly when the cleaner or propane is aimed at a leak.

If the problem is not the accelerator pump or a vacuum leak, the carburetor needs to be rebuilt. Daytona Parts sell a kit with quality parts.

https://daytonaparts.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwhLHaBRAGEiwAHCgG3u7nnmZGE5zNW2bf03GMKp4NJMGepuewjC_60Nk-LNP-UyMO_WbIOxoCNE0QAvD_BwE

Tom

51woodie
10-07-2020 @ 11:55 AM
Senior

durk. Here is a link to rebuilding a carb that should be very similar to yours. There are several parts to the rebuild.

http://myflatheadford.com/charlie-price-1-of-4-holley-94-disassembly-and-inspection/

supereal
10-08-2020 @ 11:02 AM
Senior

Backfire through the carb can also be due to a cracked or loose distributor cap, or a carbon path inside the cap which can often be difficult to see. As engine speed increases, the system power also goes up, and the increased spark can follow the path to, or between, the terminals to the plugs, causing backfire. I discovered this many years ago when I worked for a Ford dealer.

durk
10-08-2020 @ 12:08 PM

thank you for your answer.
But if the cap is cracked or loose then the engine should run badly at full throttle right?
The engine idles perfectly and also full throttle.

The engine throttles when I suddenly go full throttle.
If I accelerate gradually, it is no problem.

The engine also wants to start very badly warm or not at all.
Know that flatheads suffer from this, but this is very extreme. If it runs for 5 minutes, it doesn't work anymore.

durk
10-08-2020 @ 12:10 PM

just an update on this side of the ocean.

Thank you all for thinking along.

I did the following today. I was allowed to borrow parts from someone with a well-running 1940 pickup.

I transferred the spark plugs, complete ignition, fuel pump and carburettor to my engine.

And guess what. Still the same problem.

TomO
10-09-2020 @ 8:16 AM
Senior

Theoretically you eliminated all but a vacuum leak or a cracked or loose distributor cap.

Tom

37RAGTOPMAN
10-12-2020 @ 8:34 AM
Senior

HI 1941 CONVERTIBLE
you never said if the back fire is in the carburetor ?
or the exhaust system,?
do you have any exhaust leaks ?
you might have a intake manifold leak, you should check this also,
also take a compression test to see if the cylinders are equal, and have no valve problems,
like a broken valve spring, or sticking valves,
hope this helps, 37Ragtopman

durk
10-14-2020 @ 3:21 AM

thanks for the comments.
The backfire is due to the carburettor, I had put this in the title, maybe not that obvious from me.

we're getting a little closer.
I currently have 3 holley 94 carburettors.

-an old loose one that was on the shelf. (the engine will not run properly on this one)

-an completely brand new one (the engine will not run properly on this one)

-a used one of a 40er v8. (with Ford logo)
(with this one he runs perfectly)

with 50 jets.

the new carburettor had 51 jets. So I thought I found the problem. Then I put 50 jets in here, unfortunately the problem was still not over.

the compression is between 70 and 110

the new carburettor is mine and the 40er is from someone else so can't leave it on the engine: D

This message was edited by durk on 10-14-20 @ 3:23 AM

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org