LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Lacquer Botsford Blue Green Advice

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Lacquer Botsford Blue Green Advice

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

presidentsamito
06-13-2010 @ 4:58 PM

Hello Friends, well I'm at the (hopefully) end of bodywork on my '46...and am using lacquer. Yes, I know there are those who love it and not Well, I am sanding between coats, but am having trouble now that I am coming up on the "final" coats. When I sand the Botsford Blue Green with 600 between coats, the color is different when "dull", that is, it appears significantly more "green" than blue, and so that when I re-coat it with the next spray, where I sand through it you can clearly see the difference in color. Paint is the same color, same batch, mixed correctly etc. It is just different color when sanded.

I can't see any way to avoid it other than sanding all the way up to 2000 and buffing out (this makes it the correct blue green) but if I leave it anything less than full polish, the next coat shows different color when I sand through it.

Any thoughts?

This message was edited by presidentsamito on 6-13-10 @ 4:59 PM

presidentsamito
06-13-2010 @ 5:00 PM

Here is the color as sprayed, not sanded. Compare with the first

37RAGTOPMAN
06-13-2010 @ 5:20 PM
Senior

are you adding retarder to the paint ?
About a shot glass to a 1 qt cup,
this will stop the moisture from getting in the paint,
lacquer from drying to fast,
are you painting inside or outside
do not spray lacquer in the sun,it drys to fast,and leaves it dull,it should have a little shine,and you pictures look like it is very dull,
this might be the problem,
it seems this might be your problem,youy said you made sure you mixed the paint and thinned it the same exact way every time you sprayed a coat,
what grade paper are you using between coats,?
give more info,
37RAGTOPMAN,,,,,,,,, KEEP ON TRUCKIN,,,,,

parrish
06-13-2010 @ 8:14 PM

My suggestion is to stop sanding your color base...too much work! Simply spray a final color base and then (within 24 hours) spray a few (3-4) coats of clearcoat lacquer (with 15 minutes or so flash time in between coats). The clearcoat is then wet sanded starting with 800 to 1000 to 1500 to 2000. The more smoothly you lay down the clearcoat, the easier the wet sanding. Just take it down to a smooth, dull finish as you've experienced with your base color. Then buff the clearcoat with a random orbit sander (or DA) and you will be happy...

presidentsamito
06-16-2010 @ 3:45 AM

Thanks! No, I am not adding retarder...just lacquer thinner thinned 1:2.

Trouble is when I spray and sand between coats (which seems to be necessary with lacquer) the color of the sanded product changes when sanded...that is, the coat becomes dull as in the shot. When I spray on top of it and color sand again, I burn through to some places with the previous coat and the difference in coat color is obvious from the sanding.

I realize this is a tough question, and thanks for all help from all.

I'll spray clear lacquer if I need to, but I wanted to see if there is anything else wrong.

37RAGTOPMAN
06-16-2010 @ 5:40 AM
Senior

parrish
has a good idea if you want a wet look, which is a little overkill to me,but you have to get the color right first.,I never sprayed a clear coat,a lot of new cars shed the clear coat in time,if the laquer dulls out, you can polish it year after year,and do nothave to worry about going though the clear coat,just the paint,I painted a MODEL A back in the 1968 with black laquer and it still looks good, yes, it has rubbed though in a few spots on the rear fender, buy I have the option, of spraying in a few areas,on the coating changing color,if it is hot and damp, you should add retarder, and spray inside out of sun light,you can keep the garage door open and use a fan to exit the fumes, and by all means use a special mask
This will make the paint dry slower,you might trying applying paint a little heavier,and shake the spray gun a little, so the paint stays mixed,
sand very lightly using 320-400 between coats using WATER.and just enough sanding to make the next coats stick,just flatten out the paint so it is dull and all the same color, some painters use the scotch pads for this,just wipe down the surface before applying more coats make sure it is fully dry,
once the car is fully painted [ and color matches,you can make you mind up if you want to apply the clear laquer. it leaves a wet look,
I would not, it does not look original at least to me as the car left the factory, ,nice on motorcycles, but that is my 3 cents,you could just polish out the paint and see if you are happy with it, and then if not apply more paint till you are,you can keep going till you are happy with it,
hope this helps and good luck,
KEEP ON TRUCKIN 37 RAGTOPMAN

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 6-16-10 @ 5:59 AM

TomO
06-16-2010 @ 7:15 AM
Senior

You should not have to sand in between coats of lacquer, unless you are waiting more than 24 hours between coats.

Back in the day, we used to shoot 5 coats in one day, just allowing time for the previous coat to flash over. The recommended number of coats for acrylic lacquer is four wet coats, with about 10 minutes between coats.

If you are waiting more than 24 hours between coats, you are more likely to have crazing of the finish later. You also stand the chance of not having a good match on all of the parts sprayed.

If you have already sprayed more than 3 coats, just try rubbing out the top coat, without sanding.
Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 6-16-10 @ 7:18 AM

presidentsamito
06-16-2010 @ 8:14 AM

Ok, I'll try adding the retarder...that would make sense, it does seem to be drying way too quickly and not "flowing out."

I'll sand down with 600, clean, shoot 4 wet coats waiting 20 minutes between each for flash. Then I'll give it a week and wet sand and polish out.

Stay tuned...

TomO
06-16-2010 @ 6:31 PM
Senior

If the paint is drying too quickly, you may not have your gun set up properly or you are too far from the surface when spraying or moving the gun too fast.

I don't know how much paint you have on the car, but be careful to not get the coating too thick, it will crack and start to chip off in a couple of years. Check with your paint supplier for the optimum paint thickness.

Tom

parrish
06-16-2010 @ 7:18 PM

One additional advantage of clearcoat is that you can "freshen up" your paint job years down the road without creating a color mis-match.

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org