LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Engine Run-On problem with electric fan

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Engine Run-On problem with electric fan

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

47coe
10-11-2009 @ 9:55 PM

I posted this on Fordbarn as well...maybe I can find some more expertise here.

I have a 47 Ford COE with an aftermarket electric fan (which I intend to remove once I obtain all the parts to install the engine driven fan). The truck is mostly stock and I recently rewired the ignition circuit to work through the original steering column switch. Previously, the truck had a modern key start with an accessory position. Since I don't have an accessory position on the original switch, I wired the fan and coil together so that the fan only runs when the engine is running. Now when I shut off the engine, it will run for about 3 seconds with slowly dwindling rpm. If I disconnect the fan, the engine dies instantly when the ignition switch is opened...this is the desireable condition.

My questions are:
1) can an electric fan cause run-on problems because the spinning fan generates electricity (the motor becomes a generator briefly as no power is applied but the blades are spinning) which feeds back into the coil?
2) Obviously, I've identified the fan as the problem...how are other folks wiring electric fans when using only the original ignition switch?
3) Do I need a reverse-current relay, diode, or a separate fan relay (to isolate the coil)?

Any response would be appreciated...

Dan

TomO
10-12-2009 @ 6:56 AM
Senior

You should be using a relay to feed the fan. The ignition switch was not designed to handle the high current of the fan.

Tom

supereal
10-12-2009 @ 8:29 AM
Senior

Yes, the fan can generate enough power to feed the coil if it is turning after the ignition is turned off. There are a couple of ways to prevent this. First, an electric fan should always be operated with a relay to prevent overloading the ignition switch, as Tom says. That will physically disconnect the fan when the relay is de-energized. You can install a diode in the line to the fan, but due to the high current requirements of low voltage electric fans, the relay is a better choice. Run on is also aided by failure to completely close the throttle, and a too high idle speed.

47coe
10-12-2009 @ 11:09 AM

Thanks guys, appreciate the advice. I didn't mention it for simplicity but I am using a relay for the ignition switch. The original switch is only carrying enough current to close the relay. The relay I'm currently using for that purpose is a 60A relay and my total current draw through the relay is about 30A tops.

I've got the stock flathead and idle is set around 400 rpm. The engine is running a bit rich after I rebuilt the carb so maybe the extra gas is adding to the run-on.

I'm inclined to add another relay for the fan. Although it will increase the number of wires required, it is more reliable than a diode. I was planning on using the diode from an alternator application so I can guarantee the current carrying capacity but I think I'll go with the relay.

Thanks again...

supereal
10-12-2009 @ 12:17 PM
Senior

As long as you have the ignition and fan tied together on the output side of your relay, you will have the problem. You need a separate reply for the fan only. Just parallel the relay coil with the one for your ignition, but don't interconnect the relay points. If you have a double throw relay now, use a separate set of points on that relay for the ignition and fan, using those contacts to separate the fan and ignition. We prefer to use a thermostatically controlled relay for fans so it comes on and off as needed.

47coe
10-12-2009 @ 12:40 PM

Thanks again. I plan to go with a relay in parallel to the ignition relay. I don't need a thermostatically controlled relay since I have a thermocouple and temperature rheostat downcurrent from the ignition relay now. I'll just isolate the +12V from the coil and work the problem that way. Then I can be certain of eliminating any run-on issues.

TomO
10-13-2009 @ 7:29 AM
Senior

If you intend to change back to the standard fan, why don't you just use a toggle switch capable of handling 30 amps to control the fan? It will require that you remember to turn it on and off, but it is less expensive and less complicated than a relay.

Tom

47coe
10-13-2009 @ 5:44 PM

Tom...good idea. But I don't know how long that swap will take. I need an original 42-47 COE radiator (same as big trucks) and a COE-unique fan shroud. The truck has a 53 radiator which doesn't fit well (sits 3 inches forward of the original radiator) and there is too much distance between the fan and radiator.

So, I'm going to go with the relay and avoid any forgetfulness on turning on the fan.

Dan

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org