LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Best places to buy 36 ford parts?

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Best places to buy 36 ford parts?

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

philmco
05-08-2010 @ 12:12 PM

Hello V-8er's ! First post for this O.F. from Chambersburg, PA.
Just bought a 36 Tudor Sedan and would like to hear from folks that have had good experiences with replacement parts suppliers and insurance companies that insure classic cars.
My 36 is stock but I'm thinking of adding an exhaust kit from Red's Headers that include the headers, pipes, mufflers and hardware. Anyone with experience with Red's would be helpful, too.

Thanks alot!

Phil

This message was edited by philmco on 5-8-10 @ 12:14 PM

ford38v8
05-08-2010 @ 12:55 PM
Senior

Hi Phil, Welcome to our Forum, and to the EFV8CA. Good to start here with all your questions, we're glad to point you in the right direction.

Red Hamilton is a straight shooter, no doubt about that. Red sold his "Reds Headers" business, but I don't have any negative feedback about the new owner, so go for it if that's what you want.

In my humble opinion, though, I think you might reconsider putting on headers if you consider that they are for looks only, and won't affect the sound or performance of your car. Your car looks great now, and you may want to check out one of our National Meets and the cars on our Concourse before making any decisions about modifying your car.

With regard to parts, old Fords are probably the easiest to find parts for, but beware the re-pops if you can, unless you verify that they are made in USA. Imports have always been problematic, whether from Asia today, or from South America some years ago.

Some venders are listed in the vender section of this website, and many also advertise in the V8 Times, our Club magazine. If you haven't joined yet, you can't go wrong, as the cost of membership includes the magazine which is worth its weight in gold.

Consider also, our club has published a fine restoration manual on your car, a must for any '36 owner, available for sale here also.

For insurance, you have choices, but a couple of things to consider are "Declared Value", and "Allowed Usage", and "Annual Mileage allowed". Some companies will not recognize your car's true value if you have a serious accident or if it is stolen. Most will not pay up if you accept money for anything, including use for a wedding or in the making of a movie. Some have a cap on mileage also. Wherever you insure, be sure you understand those limitations.

Alan

supereal
05-08-2010 @ 5:25 PM
Senior

Most of us have favored vendors, based upon quality of merchandise and the ability to properly advise buyers who are unsure of what the need. Most are listed here on this site, such as C&G, Bob Drake, Dennis Carpenter, etc. As for headers, They are usually a headache to install, and really don't provide much, if any, benefit. Many of us have dual exhaust on our cars because we just like the sound. Be aware that most exhaust kits don't just bolt on a car, but require adjustments to clear running gear, particularly on the left front side. If you have a good (non-franchised) muffler shop near you that can bend pipes, I'd start there. As for insurance, as my friend Alan points out, there are a number of items to be covered. I cover my cars with Hagerty, obtained by my local agent, and opt for "agreed value". It is quite important to use a specialty company for old cars for many reasons, not just adding them on your other car insurance.

37RAGTOPMAN
05-08-2010 @ 5:54 PM
Senior

I put dual exhausts, seems to me it runs better down the road,[ BREATHES BETTER ] seems faster and gets better gas milage and sounds cool.
I think it is worth the trouble.
this is after driving the car for 25 years the old way,
I bought the headers and had the rest of it made
by a muffler shop, that does custom exhaust. they
used a heavy duty pipe, better than the original and is coated with aluminum.and one baffle in the muffler.
it all depends what you want, if you want have your car judged, stay original , and not drive it.or if you want to drive the car and have fun,go for the
dual exhausts,
remember if you restore it and drive it,it will get dirty under the car, and the guy that trailers his car will get the awards. this is the way it is,
my 3 cents worth, 37RAGTOPMAN,,, KEEP ON TRUCKIN,,

trjford8
05-08-2010 @ 8:52 PM
Senior

Phil, I don't think anyone has mentioned to you about joining the Early Ford V-8 Club. Many who come to this site are not familiar with the club magazine, The V-8 Times.You get 6 issues a year and it's all about 32-53 Fords. There's tech articles, history articles, stories about local tours, and many parts sources. You can join by signing up on the front page of this site or by calling toll free 1-866-427-7583.Thie club also sells a book on the 35-36 Fords that is a must have for an owner of one of these cars.
I might add two insurance companies for you to check out. One is J.C. Taylor and the other is Grundy. Both have good rates and usually will insure the car for stated value.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 5-8-10 @ 8:54 PM

philmco
05-09-2010 @ 3:42 AM

Thank you, folks for the friendly advice! I have become a dues paying member and look forward to receiving "Ford Times". I appreciate the advice on the exhaust kit and it makes sense that I shouldn't expect a " bolt on and go " installation. I did get a quote from Grundy, Taylor and Haggerty and Grundy is the lowest @ $ 145.50 and they are in PA, too. I'm not a complete stranger to early ford V-8's, having had a 40' sedan and coupe but it's been 31 years since that time. Never thought I'd have a 36' sedan but this one caught my eye and it was only 25 miles from home.

Phil

trjford8
05-09-2010 @ 8:05 AM
Senior

Phil, welcome to the club. You'll find that the V-8 Times will be a big help in finding good parts vendors. There's also lots of club members listed in the club roster who live in Pa. plus there are four V-8 Club regional groups in Pa.

philmco
05-16-2010 @ 12:30 PM

From Sullivan's garage in NH came a "Bob Drake Quality"
36 Ford Hood Ornament. So I proceed to install it and find it isn't the best fit into the trim pieces on the hood sides and grill. I look at the box again and see in small letters "made in Taiwan". Thought I was buying a USA made, Ford Licensed, Bob Drake part. I guess it's time to start paying my dues again..Dang it.

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org