LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / 1940 Ford Discussion / Brake system lock-up issue

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Brake system lock-up issue -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

Drbrown
07-29-2023 @ 8:08 AM
Senior

Couple days ago, after driving a small ways and returning home, I sensed the brakes groaning (engaged) when parking and noticed the brake lights stayed on, even after turning the car off. So disconnected elec system to avoid a dead battery and it sat for several days. Today all back to normal. I see not leaks and doubt such given the brakes are activating. I've had the car 10 years, understood system was rebuilt then, only put about 1000 miles on it and been thinking I should have the system flushed. Question: How do I tell which DOT fluid is in system ? (i.e. color ?) I should know this before having system flushed or working on it. Thought: If system pressure was not releasing, is it likely a problem with the master cylinder ?

trjford8
07-29-2023 @ 8:41 AM
Senior

First make sure your brake pedal return spring is attached and working. From there I would look at the master cylinder. Remove the cap and see if fluid is returning after the pedal returns. You will see some bubbling of the fluid at the return port in the cylinder. If all looks O.K. then go to the wheel cylinders. Have a second person push on the pedal and release it. Then see if you have a wheel that does not want to move. If all four wheels lock up I suspect it's your master cylinder. As a general rule if you have fluid with a purple tinge it usually means you have silicone fluid. Regular brake fluid will lift paint, so you could test it by putting a drop or two on a sample piece of painted metal.

kubes40
07-29-2023 @ 8:43 AM
Senior

Most likely one of two issues. Perhaps both.
1) Master cylinder rod is adjusted too long. That causes a delay or even a stop in the fluid being allowed back into the master. the brake pedal will become harder each time you press it down. Let it sit overnight and most likely, the pedal will feel fine.

2) Brake shoes are adjusted too close to the drums. Shoes heat up and drag.

I'd start at the master rod.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

Drbrown
07-29-2023 @ 8:56 AM
Senior

Thanks to all. The brake system had been working fine; good solid pedal and even stopping. I wonder to myself if the lock up was a fluke i.e. the pedal or MC rod didn't properly return .... at the incident I didn't look at or feel the pedal for any free-play. I'll look at the items suggested and jack the car to make sure each wheel is braking. I found Tom'Os old post with copies of factory manual on how to do adjustments.

This message was edited by Drbrown on 7-29-23 @ 8:58 AM

Drbrown
08-08-2023 @ 12:50 PM
Senior

Concern regarding my apparent system lock-up event remains unexplained. Had system inspected and flushed. Installed self-bleeding fittings at wheel cylinders. Master cylinder looks and functions fine. Pedal and master cylinder rod freeplay were and are at what they should be. Wheel cylinders function and no leakage found. Brake shoes still set at proper positions. The system had not been flushed in 12 years or more. The brake pedal now feels stronger than before.

kubes40
08-08-2023 @ 2:55 PM
Senior

It would have been prudent to disassemble each wheel cylinder. After twelve years, there's a great chance that one or more are "gummed up".
Although the issue you had has not reoccurred, my money is on "it will".
You might be amazed at how corroded the cylinders can become.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

RAK402
08-08-2023 @ 7:23 PM

DrBrown, I have to ask-What are self-bleeding brake fittings?

Drbrown
08-09-2023 @ 11:03 PM
Senior

RAK402: As best I can describe ..... With stock air bleeder fittings at the individual wheel cylinders, it takes two persons to bleed air out of the brake system through the individual wheel cylinders ..... one person to apply and keep a steady pressure at the foot pedal and one person under the car to open and close the bleeder valve to release any trapped air out of each wheel cylinder. If the fluid runs low during this procedure or foot pressure is removed from the pedal, air can get sucked back into the cylinder thru the open valve. By replacing the stock bleeder valves with the so-called self-bleeder valves only one person is needed to do the operation. The self-bleeder valves at the cylinders have an internal valve that closes when foot pressure is removed thus preventing air from being sucked back in. SO one person can open the self-bleeder fitting at a wheel cylinder then go top-side and apply pressure on the foot pedal to force air out the bleeder. The master cylinder must be kept full at all times when doing this. So as normal, start at the wheel furthest from the master cylinder and attach a drain hose to the valve to collect the fluid in a container. Apply pressure to foot pedal enough to assure that all air at the wheel cylinder has been forced out. Keep master cylinder full. Tighten valve fitting at wheel when done. You should have a good solid feel when applying the brake pedal. I bought the self-bleeder fittings (two to a package) several years ago from one of the Ford suppliers. Be sure to get the ones with the correct tread size.

This message was edited by Drbrown on 8-10-23 @ 10:05 PM

Drbrown
08-09-2023 @ 11:09 PM
Senior

kubes40: I agree. We did collect the fluid individually from each wheel cylinder and inspect it. To the good, the fluid did not show any moisture or decoloring.

kubes40
08-19-2023 @ 7:31 AM
Senior

The fluid will most likely not show any issues. The pistons are where the issue shows up. Ya can't know until the wheel cylinder is disassembled. I'd place a healthy size bet; the cylinders are not "healthy".
There may very well be a lot of white corrosion built up at the cylinders. That hinders the travel of the piston. As it gets worse, the piston will be forced out (hydraulic pressure) but will be unable to retract properly.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 8-19-23 @ 5:21 PM

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org