LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / 1940 Ford Discussion / 40 Coupe Fuel Tank:

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 40 Coupe Fuel Tank:

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

fortyford
06-24-2017 @ 5:38 PM

I keep getting some sediment in the bottom of my fuel pump bowl.Besides pulling the tank and having it cleaned or replace it is there anything else I could do to maybe flush it out without removing?Just asking,I figure tank is shot!

kubes40
06-25-2017 @ 6:15 AM
Senior

There is a drain plug at the very bottom of the tank. I suppose you could rid the tank of some containments via that route. However, my gut tells me this would not provide enough of a fix to cause any sustainable repair.
If you suspect the tank is "shot", it most likely should be removed and cleaned / sealed properly.
There are services that do this type of work.
Me? I prefer to have the tanks professionally acid dipped which removes all of the rust. I then seal the tanks with a product specifically designed for this purpose. I prefer the sealer available from Bill Hirsch.

It may be cheaper to purchase a reproduction tank but be forewarned, regardless of the advertising, they (tanks) are not "made to exact factory specifications". Not only will your original sending unit not fit, the repop tanks are too wide to install without lifting the body a bit.
While you can certainly purchase a repop sending unit, any quick search of forums will find these units rarely work even reasonably well.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

len47merc
06-25-2017 @ 6:35 AM
Senior

Don't count your tank to be 'shot' too soon. Follow Mike's advice - a quality radiator shop typically can perform a complete cleaning, repair (if necessary) and sealing with a quality (red) product. Agree that draining it 'ain't gonna get it done'. Mine sat for 40 or so years and had about 7 gals of muck and crud inside, but after cleaning professionally it was found to still be solid and required no repairs, only sealing, so you very well may be ok.

EDIT - on my '47 I never even tried cranking the car upon receipt, but pulled the tank as the first order of business and ran it through the process noted above. Conversely, and to reinforce the notion that draining your tank will not do the trick, back in the day I had a daily driver '68 International Travelall that the glass bowl began to show sediment in and so I siphoned the tank, drained it repeatedly, removed it and tried flushing it out myself, and sediment continued to show and ultimately both the fuel line clogged as did the mesh filter in the top of the fuel pump. Bottom line was the top of the tank interior was rusting and all that my cleaning efforts did was bandaid the problem and not fix it. After having it professionally cleaned and acid dipped I did have to have a couple of repairs performed in the top before having it sealed. Was told had I not tried to milk it like I did and brought it to them immediately that perhaps no repairs may have been required. It ran without any further problems for an additional 100K miles before the fenders started falling off the (beach) truck. You, though, may likely only have to have it cleaned and any scale that has yet to release removed before having it sealed. Good luck!

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 6-25-17 @ 10:41 AM

TomO
06-25-2017 @ 9:11 PM
Senior

I strongly suggest that you follow Mike's advice. The re-pops are not as good as a rusty original tank.

You may not be able to remove the drain plug. They sometimes rust in place and only come out after the tank is boiled out.

To drain the tank, run the car until you have less than a quarter tank. Try to remove the drain plug, if it will not come out, jack up the left side of the car to make the fuel stay on the right side of the tank. Disconnect the fuel line and slowly lower the car so the fuel will empty into a 5 gallon container. You can use a short piece of 1/4" copper tubing with a fitting to have more control over the flow. This will get out most of the fuel, you can plug the line hole and remove the tank, then drain the rest of the fuel.

Tom

fortyford
06-26-2017 @ 7:47 AM

Yes,I have been reading all kind of stories about the repo tanks and the worst is the sending units which none of them seem to work.I am scared to even mess with the drain plug!I think pulling the tank I have and have it cleaned and sealed is my best bet.I was hoping this sediment thing would go away but it keeps on showing up.Thanks, Men for all the help.My gas gauge also seems to work pretty good that I have now.

kubes40
06-26-2017 @ 8:59 AM
Senior

When the sending unit is out, check the float for leakage. I trap it beneath water for 24 hours and see if any water entered the float. Great time to replace it if necessary. If you find you need to replace it, check the new float for leaks (get a brass one for certain). Many of the repop floats are poopy.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

TomO
06-27-2017 @ 6:24 AM
Senior

Easy way to check the float is heat a pan of water to boiling, turn off the heat and submerge the float. If you see bubbles coming from the float, it is leaking. You can solder a leak without affecting the buoyancy of the float.

A short pipe wrench or 10" vice grips are the best tools to use for removal of the drain plug. I replace the plug witha brass plug and paint it black. Brass will not seize like iron. If you do go with the iron plug, use anti-seize compound on it and refresh it every year.

Tom

thunder road
07-13-2017 @ 5:20 PM

Thiers's a company called Tank Re-New, I think they advertise in Hemming's, that cleans and reseals the gas tanks. My friend has had two done with no problems, one was done in his 1959 Chevrolet belair in 1994, and the other in his 1959 Oldsmobile 2010. They guarantee their work for life. Each tank is given a number for the company to keep track of it. They claim to have never had one fail to date. Now the bad: They have to cut open a section on the top of the tank to properly deal with it, and then weld it back together, after it's coated on the inside and on the "outside", So after they coat the outside, it will not look correct from 4ft. away . Gas these days gets old fast and because I don't run the cars that much, I only put a I/4 tank of gas at a time with the red "stable" It's not great to add new gas to old gas." Now " I going to switch to the Stable that "coats" the upper part of the tank, for the old cars. Domenic

This message was edited by thunder road on 7-15-17 @ 5:46 AM

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org