LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Dennis Carpenter Rear Window Seals

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Dennis Carpenter Rear Window Seals -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

len47merc
07-23-2016 @ 12:59 PM
Senior

For those who may not have seen it and may have an interest, I mentioned earlier in this thread that Dennis Carpenter erroneously shipped a replacement '41-'48 rear window seal to me that did NOT have the groove for the stainless trim which I cannot use (part #11A-7042084). DC does not want it returned. I placed it in our classifieds for any fellow EFV8 member who can use it for the cost of shipping only. This one does not exhibit any negative manufacturing problems. If anyone can use it please contact me here or at the e-mail address listed in the classifieds - I'd hate to throw it away.

Steve

kubes40
07-14-2016 @ 4:44 PM
Senior

Even though I would much rather purchase parts from Carpenter than ol' Drake, I have to say, Carpenter's window seals (at least 194o) are total junk. Sorry Dennis, but they are.
Drakes on the other hand do fit as they should.
The very last time I bought from Carpenter I did get jerked around. Something I did not expect from him. I was disappointed to say the least and left hoping that treatment was a fluke.

len47merc
07-14-2016 @ 2:53 PM
Senior

Quick update - received the 2nd replacement seal (first sent was the wrong part number) and it is much better than the first ordered on all issues; however, DC representatives had to cull through quite a bit of inventory to find one without the problem(s) published earlier in this thread. FYI

Steve

len47merc
07-07-2016 @ 10:41 AM
Senior

For everyone's info - I spoke with Steele Rubber Products (reference TomO's reply above) and was informed all they sell of this part is sourced from Dennis Carpenter and they do not manufacture any of these specific seals themselves.

Update on the replacement DC seal when it arrives.

Steve

42merc
07-06-2016 @ 10:43 AM

trjford8

I am aware of the sizes of seals for the '40.
The problem lies with Carpenter and their unwillingness to acknowledge that there really is a problem.

Kube was on the Ford Barn a couple of months ago carping about this same problem with Carpenter rear window seals.

Don

37 Coupe
07-06-2016 @ 8:54 AM

This mayby the problem but they surely have had enough complaints by now to ship the correct ones. I had this same problem in 2007 on my '37 coupe rear window seal from DC,to large for the opening,sent me another and it was the same. Ordered Bob Drakes and fit very well as did the windshield seal. Over 30 years ago I bought all Dennis Carpenter window seals for a '53 F-100 and they were great quality and fit and why I went with them first on my '37. It just must be some kind of quality control issue they have now and will not address like the floppy '37 Ford radio antennae.

trjford8
07-06-2016 @ 8:26 AM
Senior

42 merc, there's two different rear window seals for a 40. One is for the coupe and one for sedans. The sedan rear window is bigger and they may have sent you the sedan seal.

TomO
07-06-2016 @ 8:04 AM
Senior

You can also try Steele Rubber Products if Drake is out of stock.

http://www.steelerubber.com/rear-window-gasket-20-1668-81

Tom

len47merc
07-05-2016 @ 5:34 PM
Senior

Ouch. Interestingly I called Drake earlier today and had them send me pics of one of their seals from inventory. If the replacement from Carpenter is no better than the first one they shipped then both will be going back and I'll go to Drake, at least for this seal.

In contrast to your experience DC at least acknowledged the issues are theirs and inherent in their manufacturing process for this particular seal. This is the first real quality control issue for me with them.

Will follow-up with observations of the replacement seal when received.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 7-5-16 @ 5:35 PM

42merc
07-05-2016 @ 5:17 PM

I went thru this same exercise with the Carpenter group.
Bought their rear window seals for a '40 coupe, did not fit, about 1 1/2 " too long.
Lots of conversation with various folks from Carpenter. They said I had a problem, nothing wrong with their product, but they would take them back if I paid the shipping.
I kept them, cut about an 1 1/2" out of each & glued back together. A real piece of junk.
Doing the mods allowed me to drive the car until the Bob Drake seals arrived.
Do yourself a favor, buy BOB DRAKE seals, they fit.

This message was edited by 42merc on 7-5-16 @ 5:26 PM

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org