Topic: Dennis Carpenter Rear Window Seals

len47merc    -- 07-05-2016 @ 12:55 PM
  Following are a few pics of Dennis Carpenter's rear window seal on my '47's rear glass prior to install into the car. DC states all of their seals currently in inventory have these attributes and they are working with their manufacturing group on a solution. Holding off on installing in the car until a better option is available. Their current seals exhibit two negative attributes:

1) Inner seal against the headliner has a bulge in it where the seal is fused together (1st photo here). Everything in stock has this attribute and they've no solution for it - statement coming back to me is '...that's just the way it is...' with the manufacturing process

2) At the right and left sides of the window the outer seal's surface that mates to the window - all of which is supposed to be sealed to the glass prior to installation in the car - stands proud 1/4" - 1/2" off the glass at rest, making sealing with window adhesive virtually impossible. This returns to this same position whether rolling the edge around the window or trying to rotate the seal to a new position around the window

Carpenter went through their inventory and selected the 'best one of the lot' to send me as a replacement but that even that will have some degree of this problem with the inner seal.

FYI for anyone looking to purchase this seal from DC. They have been fine to work with on this and the relationship with them is very positive. Just posting this to save anyone else from having to deal with the issue until a solution is found and inventory is corrected.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 7-5-16 @ 1:11 PM

len47merc    -- 07-05-2016 @ 12:57 PM
  Same pic properly rotated. The glass is in the seal in all pics.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 7-5-16 @ 12:59 PM

len47merc    -- 07-05-2016 @ 1:08 PM
  Second pic.

Steve

len47merc    -- 07-05-2016 @ 1:09 PM
  Third pic.

Steve

42merc    -- 07-05-2016 @ 5:17 PM
  I went thru this same exercise with the Carpenter group.
Bought their rear window seals for a '40 coupe, did not fit, about 1 1/2 " too long.
Lots of conversation with various folks from Carpenter. They said I had a problem, nothing wrong with their product, but they would take them back if I paid the shipping.
I kept them, cut about an 1 1/2" out of each & glued back together. A real piece of junk.
Doing the mods allowed me to drive the car until the Bob Drake seals arrived.
Do yourself a favor, buy BOB DRAKE seals, they fit.

This message was edited by 42merc on 7-5-16 @ 5:26 PM

len47merc    -- 07-05-2016 @ 5:34 PM
  Ouch. Interestingly I called Drake earlier today and had them send me pics of one of their seals from inventory. If the replacement from Carpenter is no better than the first one they shipped then both will be going back and I'll go to Drake, at least for this seal.

In contrast to your experience DC at least acknowledged the issues are theirs and inherent in their manufacturing process for this particular seal. This is the first real quality control issue for me with them.

Will follow-up with observations of the replacement seal when received.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 7-5-16 @ 5:35 PM

TomO    -- 07-06-2016 @ 8:04 AM
  You can also try Steele Rubber Products if Drake is out of stock.

http://www.steelerubber.com/rear-window-gasket-20-1668-81

Tom

trjford8    -- 07-06-2016 @ 8:26 AM
  42 merc, there's two different rear window seals for a 40. One is for the coupe and one for sedans. The sedan rear window is bigger and they may have sent you the sedan seal.

37 Coupe    -- 07-06-2016 @ 8:54 AM
  This mayby the problem but they surely have had enough complaints by now to ship the correct ones. I had this same problem in 2007 on my '37 coupe rear window seal from DC,to large for the opening,sent me another and it was the same. Ordered Bob Drakes and fit very well as did the windshield seal. Over 30 years ago I bought all Dennis Carpenter window seals for a '53 F-100 and they were great quality and fit and why I went with them first on my '37. It just must be some kind of quality control issue they have now and will not address like the floppy '37 Ford radio antennae.

42merc    -- 07-06-2016 @ 10:43 AM
  trjford8

I am aware of the sizes of seals for the '40.
The problem lies with Carpenter and their unwillingness to acknowledge that there really is a problem.

Kube was on the Ford Barn a couple of months ago carping about this same problem with Carpenter rear window seals.

Don

len47merc    -- 07-07-2016 @ 10:41 AM
  For everyone's info - I spoke with Steele Rubber Products (reference TomO's reply above) and was informed all they sell of this part is sourced from Dennis Carpenter and they do not manufacture any of these specific seals themselves.

Update on the replacement DC seal when it arrives.

Steve

len47merc    -- 07-14-2016 @ 2:53 PM
  Quick update - received the 2nd replacement seal (first sent was the wrong part number) and it is much better than the first ordered on all issues; however, DC representatives had to cull through quite a bit of inventory to find one without the problem(s) published earlier in this thread. FYI

Steve

kubes40    -- 07-14-2016 @ 4:44 PM
  Even though I would much rather purchase parts from Carpenter than ol' Drake, I have to say, Carpenter's window seals (at least 194o) are total junk. Sorry Dennis, but they are.
Drakes on the other hand do fit as they should.
The very last time I bought from Carpenter I did get jerked around. Something I did not expect from him. I was disappointed to say the least and left hoping that treatment was a fluke.

len47merc    -- 07-23-2016 @ 12:59 PM
  For those who may not have seen it and may have an interest, I mentioned earlier in this thread that Dennis Carpenter erroneously shipped a replacement '41-'48 rear window seal to me that did NOT have the groove for the stainless trim which I cannot use (part #11A-7042084). DC does not want it returned. I placed it in our classifieds for any fellow EFV8 member who can use it for the cost of shipping only. This one does not exhibit any negative manufacturing problems. If anyone can use it please contact me here or at the e-mail address listed in the classifieds - I'd hate to throw it away.

Steve

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9844