LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Wishbone to Axle '39

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Wishbone to Axle '39 -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

trjford8
03-21-2010 @ 7:33 PM
Senior

Try to save the axle pins if possible. They are not reproduced. Once in a while you can find used ones at swap meets or you can buy new from Chassis Engineering. They are a pin only and do not have the mount for the stock shocks. If not using the stock shocks the pins from Chassis Engineering would work for you.

supereal
03-21-2010 @ 10:08 AM
Senior

I don't know of anyone selling repro bolts. The nuts are available thru places like C&G. In many cases, the bolts are damaged from the efforts to remove them. Usually, they are not replaced unless the shackle holes are worn thru or broken. If they are not broken, a good shop can probably repair and rethread them. Don't worry about the shackle pins turning hard. They hold lots of force from the springs as the shackle bars move.

hardtop25
03-20-2010 @ 4:58 PM

That makes sense. They don't turn easily if at all. I'll just knock them out and start over. You've been a big help, thanks. Are radius rod (wishbone) bolts 78 3032 strictly a swap meet/junkyard item? The threads are shot and a die won't start clean/straight. After markets are all 32-36 or some other but no 39-40.

supereal
03-19-2010 @ 7:41 AM
Senior

As said, the shackle pins must turn in the bushings. That is why they have square ends.

supereal
03-18-2010 @ 9:01 AM
Senior

Removing the shackle pins depends on how they were made, and installed. We use the Teflon type, and the pins can be driven out by protecting the threads with a couple of nuts. As you have the axle out, it would seem that a press could be used. Pins that are so tight that they can't be turned will bind the shackles, affecting ride and handling.

42wagon
03-17-2010 @ 1:14 PM
Senior

Just took a look at the spring shackle pins on my 42. It would appear that there should be clearance to install the wishbone if they are properly installed. But a 42 may be different from your car.

I don't believe the pins can be driven out and then reinstalled as Supereal is suggesting. They have ribs on them that are in a molded bushing in the metal sleeve that was press fit into the wishbone. I think the only way to replace them is to press them out and then either press them or replacement ones back in.
Ted

hardtop25
03-17-2010 @ 12:08 PM

Thanks super... can the spring shackle bolt (5464) be driven out easily? They were installed by a professional spring shop and I thought they had to be hydraulically pressed in and therefore hydraulically pressed out. I do have an extra new set on hand.

supereal
03-17-2010 @ 11:08 AM
Senior

As I understand your problem, the spring shackle bolt (5464) is hanging up on the axle, preventing the assembly of the wishbone to the axle. The shackle bolt can be removed from the perch bushing to allow installation of the wishbone, then reinserted.

hardtop25
03-17-2010 @ 9:50 AM

The interfering part I am referring to is #5464 on the drawing. I can maneuver one side of the wishbone onto the axle but then cannot get the opposite side to line up because the threaded end of #5464 gets hung up on the axle and there is no give. My set up is exactly like that of the drawing.

hardtop25
03-17-2010 @ 9:43 AM

Thanks. Entire assembly is out of the car. The threaded portion of the shackle bolt located on the upper 'arm' of the wishbone protrudes into the C or U like portion of the wishbone and gets hung up on the axle itself thus preventing the holes from lining up that will allow the large 5/8 bolt (shock mount) to slip through and mate up the wishbone & axle. I

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org