Topic: Wishbone to Axle '39

hardtop25    -- 03-16-2010 @ 4:57 PM
  I had new shackle bolts pressed into the spring perch on the wishbone, now they seem to interfere when trying to assemble it back to the axle. Did I make a mistake by installing them? Do they have to be installed AFTER the wishbone is mounted to the axle? The king pins & spindles are installed so the whole thing is kind of heavy and difficult to maneuver working alone. thanks.

supereal    -- 03-17-2010 @ 6:06 AM
  The spring perch bolts, which also secure the wishbone, are installed with the axle out of the car. Be sure the correct bolts were used, and are facing the right direction. You didn't say how they were interfering with reassembly.

hardtop25    -- 03-17-2010 @ 8:19 AM
  Thanks. Entire assembly is out of the car. The threaded portion of the shackle bolt located on the upper 'arm' of the wishbone protrudes into the C or U like portion of the wishbone and gets hung up on the axle itself thus preventing the holes from lining up that will allow the large 5/8 bolt (shock mount) to slip through and mate up the wishbone & axle. I

supereal    -- 03-17-2010 @ 8:39 AM
  I suspect you may not have the correct perch bolt. The '39 uses the 78-3032. One of the parts that don't fit almost every Ford are the perches. I've attached a copy of the drawing.

hardtop25    -- 03-17-2010 @ 9:43 AM
  Thanks. Entire assembly is out of the car. The threaded portion of the shackle bolt located on the upper 'arm' of the wishbone protrudes into the C or U like portion of the wishbone and gets hung up on the axle itself thus preventing the holes from lining up that will allow the large 5/8 bolt (shock mount) to slip through and mate up the wishbone & axle. I

hardtop25    -- 03-17-2010 @ 9:50 AM
  The interfering part I am referring to is #5464 on the drawing. I can maneuver one side of the wishbone onto the axle but then cannot get the opposite side to line up because the threaded end of #5464 gets hung up on the axle and there is no give. My set up is exactly like that of the drawing.

supereal    -- 03-17-2010 @ 11:08 AM
  As I understand your problem, the spring shackle bolt (5464) is hanging up on the axle, preventing the assembly of the wishbone to the axle. The shackle bolt can be removed from the perch bushing to allow installation of the wishbone, then reinserted.

hardtop25    -- 03-17-2010 @ 12:08 PM
  Thanks super... can the spring shackle bolt (5464) be driven out easily? They were installed by a professional spring shop and I thought they had to be hydraulically pressed in and therefore hydraulically pressed out. I do have an extra new set on hand.

42wagon    -- 03-17-2010 @ 1:14 PM
  Just took a look at the spring shackle pins on my 42. It would appear that there should be clearance to install the wishbone if they are properly installed. But a 42 may be different from your car.

I don't believe the pins can be driven out and then reinstalled as Supereal is suggesting. They have ribs on them that are in a molded bushing in the metal sleeve that was press fit into the wishbone. I think the only way to replace them is to press them out and then either press them or replacement ones back in.
Ted

supereal    -- 03-18-2010 @ 9:01 AM
  Removing the shackle pins depends on how they were made, and installed. We use the Teflon type, and the pins can be driven out by protecting the threads with a couple of nuts. As you have the axle out, it would seem that a press could be used. Pins that are so tight that they can't be turned will bind the shackles, affecting ride and handling.

supereal    -- 03-19-2010 @ 7:41 AM
  As said, the shackle pins must turn in the bushings. That is why they have square ends.

hardtop25    -- 03-20-2010 @ 4:58 PM
  That makes sense. They don't turn easily if at all. I'll just knock them out and start over. You've been a big help, thanks. Are radius rod (wishbone) bolts 78 3032 strictly a swap meet/junkyard item? The threads are shot and a die won't start clean/straight. After markets are all 32-36 or some other but no 39-40.

supereal    -- 03-21-2010 @ 10:08 AM
  I don't know of anyone selling repro bolts. The nuts are available thru places like C&G. In many cases, the bolts are damaged from the efforts to remove them. Usually, they are not replaced unless the shackle holes are worn thru or broken. If they are not broken, a good shop can probably repair and rethread them. Don't worry about the shackle pins turning hard. They hold lots of force from the springs as the shackle bars move.

trjford8    -- 03-21-2010 @ 7:33 PM
  Try to save the axle pins if possible. They are not reproduced. Once in a while you can find used ones at swap meets or you can buy new from Chassis Engineering. They are a pin only and do not have the mount for the stock shocks. If not using the stock shocks the pins from Chassis Engineering would work for you.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=951