LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / '46 Ford serial number myster

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: '46 Ford serial number myster -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

wmsteed
07-15-2015 @ 8:54 AM
Senior

I recently sold a '46 Ford Deluxe V8 2dr sdn to a man in Washington State..The car was a very nice unmolested car.
When the new owner attempted to transfer the ownership it was found that the serial number on the frame was not a '46 number..
According to all of the published material, a '46 Ford Deluxe V8 is supposed to be a 69A-650xxx. The number stamped into the frame and the trans bell is 99A-761xxx.
Since there is no such thing as a series 99A in any of the early Ford V8's, I think the Ford employee inverted the first "6" in his stamp set, thereby making it a 9..
Anybody have any thoughts on this subject, Input/comments will be appreciated.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

This message was edited by wmsteed on 7-15-15 @ 8:56 AM

40 Coupe
07-15-2015 @ 11:18 AM
Senior

According to what published material....The 46 V8 is Model 69A, The serial or VIN numbers range from 99A-650280 to 99A-1412709 This is in Mac VanPelt's transmission book.

len47merc
07-15-2015 @ 12:07 PM
Senior

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_serialnumbers.htm

40 Coupe is on the mark. Not sure what the problem is here - ?

Steve

wmsteed
07-16-2015 @ 8:54 AM
Senior

Evidently there are some poor readers out there.
In my original posting I listed the correct sequence range for the serial number on a '46 Ford Deluxe V8 69A-650XXX.
The problem I am trying to find a solution to is the 99A-761XXX number that is stamped into the frame and the transmission bell on the '46 Ford that I sold to the man in Washington State.
Washington State DMV will not accept the 99A number on the chassis and title because it is not correct for a '46 Ford.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

cliftford
07-16-2015 @ 9:47 AM
Senior

I also live in Washington. I had a '48 coupe sitting on a chassis with a '46 6 cyl vin #. Here we have a process called registration only, ownership in doubt. Using this method, you get a registration in your name, and after 3 years, if no claim is made against the car DMV will send you a title in your name. Meanwhile. you can sell or trade the car. I used this method on my '48 and everything worked out fine. Check with you local licensing agent, many of them are not too well informed on this.

len47merc
07-16-2015 @ 11:49 AM
Senior

Bill - sorry to have offended you. Fundamentally all the documentation I have (4 sources), including the link to Van Pelt Sales 40 Coupe referenced and I provided to you in my earlier reply, indicate '46s to have the serial number sequence as 40 Coupe states, so on the surface it would seem Washington DMV is somehow confused. It is doubtful, IMHO, the serial number is incorrectly referenced on the car, particularly given it is consistent on both the frame and the bell housing.

I have a '47 Merc - 79M - that has all date stamps under the dash of late December, '46 but the window bugs and other documentation show the car to have been completed in January of '47. The matching serial numbers on the frame and bell housing are 99A-1,3xx,xxx, so note the model number is not incorporated in the serial number, and the late '46 carryover into '47 serial number starts with '99', not '69'. These reference docs and listings are not absolute, particularly with respect to end-of-year/start-of-year builds, and I have seen and heard of many variances.

I did a bit of research and found the following - please look down toward the bottom of the page just after the 1948 serial number listing and you will find a reference/clue to what may be at play here:

http://www.wnyrg.org/tip.html

Wish I could help more - good luck!

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 7-16-15 @ 12:08 PM

TomO
07-17-2015 @ 7:41 AM
Senior

Bill,

I understand your frustration in dealing with someone not familiar with Ford serial numbers.

Some of the confusion comes from the fact that the serial numbers were not model dependent, they were assigned to the engine and stamped on the frame as the engine was installed. The government changed the rules in 1946 and Ford was required to identify the model year in the serial number.

I don't know which published material is being used by the state of Washington, to determine the correct serial number format, but all of the material that I have shows the format for the 46 Ford and Mercury starts with 99 xxxxxx.

My material includes Motors Auto Repair Manual fourteenth edition printed in 1951, The V-8 Album, published by the Early Ford V-8 Club and several web sites. If you need me to scan the Motors page, I will do that for you.

Tom

42wagon
07-17-2015 @ 8:36 AM
Senior

Bill
Just to add to what Tom says I have a book by Chilton published in 1955 called Fix Fords Illustrated that gives the model for a 1946 Ford with a V8 as 69A and the serial number as starting with 99A-650280. This is no different from what they did earlier when they assigned a 42 Ford with model 21A and a serial number starting with 18-.
42 Wagon

wmsteed
07-17-2015 @ 9:57 AM
Senior

Thank you Steve & Tom.. Your information cleared up the mystery regarding the serial/ID number (s) on the '46 Ford.
In the following is the rest of the story:
The publication that I use, which is readily accepted by most DMV's is The Standard Catalog of American Cars.(SCAC) This publication is readily available through many book dealers, where-as old Motor Manuals, etc., are not.
On page 318 SCAC, under the tile 1946 Ford:
"Deluxe V8 series I.D. Numbers, Deluxe V8 powered models begin with the designation, "69A", with production numbers beginning at 650280 and going to 1412707"
** Therein this implies that the serial number for a '46 Ford V8 should be "69A761XXX" not the 99AXXXXXX stamped into the frame.
Through-out the entire description (s) of the '46 Ford's, there is no mention of 99A, only 6GA or 69A.
The vehicle in question has a Idaho Title which was issued in 1980. The serial number shown on the title is 70B761XXX, which is incorrect because "70B" is the number for a 2dr sdn., which the vehicle is. The number stamped into the frame and transmission is 99A761XXX.. A correct number for a V8 powered Deluxe vehicle.
In all likelihood it will never be known why the vehicle was titled as "70B761XXX". I do know that the vehicle originally came from up State New York before it arrived in Idaho.
Of course the problem (s) we have encountered will never surface until a vehicle is transferred to another state and the numbers stamped into the frame do not match the numbers on the title/registration. etc..
Another fact of life is computers and the information highway available therein, and the number of stolen vehicles that have surfaces after having been un-recovered for over many years.
Based on the info that I have uncovered, I am going to make out a new Bill of Sale for the vehicle using the numbers stamped into the frame with a statement of facts attached. The new owner of the vehicle will then apply for a new title/registration with correct numbers.
Again.. Thank you everyone for your help..

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

40 Coupe
07-19-2015 @ 5:05 AM
Senior

It would seem to me the problem lies with the title having the incorrect prefix (not the vehicle). This should have been corrected by any of the previous owners. Now it seems to have grown to even a larger problem. In Ohio if an error is made on an old title and the owner wants to have the error corrected, it is necessary for the state highway patrol to inspect the vehicle serial or vin number. The patrol fills out paperwork for the auto title bureau to change the title serial number. Also in Ohio if the vehicle is from out of state and an in state owner wants the title in their name it again has to be inspected, but this can be done by any business with the proper certificate from the state. They only make sure both the title and vehicle numbers match and certify this.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org