LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / ENGINE NUMBER

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: ENGINE NUMBER -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

Fuimus
02-24-2015 @ 7:50 AM

Hi all. I have received wonderful guidance on my recent enquiry concerning what I thought was a 1932 Open Top Pickup.

I have recently acquired a Jensen Ford, coach built in the UK and delivered new to South Africa in early 1935.I have found the number 2B5726F stamped into the sloping top rear of the block on its 1934 chassis. It is just above the bell housing inspection cover.

The aluminium heads are Made in Canada but this number does not match the Canadian numbering protocol which makes me suspect this might be a replacement block.

I would appreciate any assistance.

Thank you in anticipation.

Brian

Fuimus
02-24-2015 @ 8:30 AM

I should add that the block has 21 studs, unventilated sump and the water pumps are in the heads.

David J
02-24-2015 @ 8:50 AM

First things first . This number is actually on the transmission housing - not the block if you look closely ? " Just above the inspection cover " is the normal place for them . BUT it is the tranny housing and not the block . Second the number you posted does not conform to anything I am aware of for 32-34 Fords . That is the time frame you have narrowed the block down to so far with the not-vented statement as venting started in 1935 ,

Fuimus
02-24-2015 @ 10:37 AM

Thank you. You are correct. My error. It is on the Transmission Housing.

I understand that early Canadian engines had the bell housing cast with the block and the engine code cast into the top of the housing. These were not supplied to the UK and my block does not have this feature.

So I am thinking this might be a UK casting with imported Canadian components but I have no information on the UK serial numbers.

David J
02-24-2015 @ 3:28 PM

Can't help with UK numbers but someone here should be able to pick up the ball on this . ADDING The first part of my first reply was a question - not a dig . I have had folks tell me my keyboard manners can be lacking at times . I can see some truth in that and sorry for making it look like a dig . That said pics of the numbers and motor would help a bunch .

This message was edited by David J on 2-24-15 @ 4:51 PM

3w2
02-24-2015 @ 7:42 PM
Senior

While the Canadian engine numbers were unique, the castings were not. That some early V-8s manufactured there had fundamentally different castings than their U.S. counterparts is not borne out by the available evidence. (The photo below is of Canadian V-8 #1 and it is the same in all respects to the U.S.-produced V-8s at the same point in time.)

There were no V-8 engines produced in the United Kingdom during the subject period, only four-cylinder engines.

Fuimus
02-24-2015 @ 9:49 PM

No problem David, I am here for help and did not see it as a dig!

I will take a photo of the number and post it later in the day.

Fuimus
02-25-2015 @ 6:27 AM

Here is the photo of the number stamped on the Transmission. The second digit is not well stamped, but it is a "B"

Regards

Brian

trjford8
02-25-2015 @ 7:43 AM
Senior

If you are a V-8 club member it might help you to contact some of our members in the UK. Check your club roster. They may have some information on those numbers. Does your Jensen have a body number? Could the number on the transmission represent some form of the body number?

Fuimus
02-25-2015 @ 9:30 AM

I have been pouring thro' a lot of faded detail and info that has come with the car as well as trawling the internet.

The car has been registered from new in South Africa and Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) with the engine and chassis number 2120.

The car was fully restored in the early 1980's and it is likely now that this is a replacement gearbox, probably from the 1952 USA series, if I understand the sequencing correctly.

In its post-restoration life, the chassis number has been recorded as C18-4F-2120 which is in the Canadian style. However, the "4" is incorrect and I have today found the evidence that this is a misread of the letter "U". This makes it a late 1935 series which fits the revised timeline I am busy constructing from original correspondence.

The fourth digit F is reported to represent RHD for export.

So my query is resolved through this engagement and I thank you all for your participation.

Regards

Brian

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org