Topic: ENGINE NUMBER

Fuimus    -- 02-24-2015 @ 7:50 AM
  Hi all. I have received wonderful guidance on my recent enquiry concerning what I thought was a 1932 Open Top Pickup.

I have recently acquired a Jensen Ford, coach built in the UK and delivered new to South Africa in early 1935.I have found the number 2B5726F stamped into the sloping top rear of the block on its 1934 chassis. It is just above the bell housing inspection cover.

The aluminium heads are Made in Canada but this number does not match the Canadian numbering protocol which makes me suspect this might be a replacement block.

I would appreciate any assistance.

Thank you in anticipation.

Brian

Fuimus    -- 02-24-2015 @ 8:30 AM
  I should add that the block has 21 studs, unventilated sump and the water pumps are in the heads.

David J    -- 02-24-2015 @ 8:50 AM
  First things first . This number is actually on the transmission housing - not the block if you look closely ? " Just above the inspection cover " is the normal place for them . BUT it is the tranny housing and not the block . Second the number you posted does not conform to anything I am aware of for 32-34 Fords . That is the time frame you have narrowed the block down to so far with the not-vented statement as venting started in 1935 ,

Fuimus    -- 02-24-2015 @ 10:37 AM
  Thank you. You are correct. My error. It is on the Transmission Housing.

I understand that early Canadian engines had the bell housing cast with the block and the engine code cast into the top of the housing. These were not supplied to the UK and my block does not have this feature.

So I am thinking this might be a UK casting with imported Canadian components but I have no information on the UK serial numbers.

David J    -- 02-24-2015 @ 3:28 PM
  Can't help with UK numbers but someone here should be able to pick up the ball on this . ADDING The first part of my first reply was a question - not a dig . I have had folks tell me my keyboard manners can be lacking at times . I can see some truth in that and sorry for making it look like a dig . That said pics of the numbers and motor would help a bunch .

This message was edited by David J on 2-24-15 @ 4:51 PM

3w2    -- 02-24-2015 @ 7:42 PM
  While the Canadian engine numbers were unique, the castings were not. That some early V-8s manufactured there had fundamentally different castings than their U.S. counterparts is not borne out by the available evidence. (The photo below is of Canadian V-8 #1 and it is the same in all respects to the U.S.-produced V-8s at the same point in time.)

There were no V-8 engines produced in the United Kingdom during the subject period, only four-cylinder engines.

Fuimus    -- 02-24-2015 @ 9:49 PM
  No problem David, I am here for help and did not see it as a dig!

I will take a photo of the number and post it later in the day.

Fuimus    -- 02-25-2015 @ 6:27 AM
  Here is the photo of the number stamped on the Transmission. The second digit is not well stamped, but it is a "B"

Regards

Brian

trjford8    -- 02-25-2015 @ 7:43 AM
  If you are a V-8 club member it might help you to contact some of our members in the UK. Check your club roster. They may have some information on those numbers. Does your Jensen have a body number? Could the number on the transmission represent some form of the body number?

Fuimus    -- 02-25-2015 @ 9:30 AM
  I have been pouring thro' a lot of faded detail and info that has come with the car as well as trawling the internet.

The car has been registered from new in South Africa and Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) with the engine and chassis number 2120.

The car was fully restored in the early 1980's and it is likely now that this is a replacement gearbox, probably from the 1952 USA series, if I understand the sequencing correctly.

In its post-restoration life, the chassis number has been recorded as C18-4F-2120 which is in the Canadian style. However, the "4" is incorrect and I have today found the evidence that this is a misread of the letter "U". This makes it a late 1935 series which fits the revised timeline I am busy constructing from original correspondence.

The fourth digit F is reported to represent RHD for export.

So my query is resolved through this engagement and I thank you all for your participation.

Regards

Brian

trjford8    -- 02-25-2015 @ 5:29 PM
  Brian, when you have time it would be nice to see a photo of your Jensen on this site.

Fuimus    -- 02-26-2015 @ 12:57 PM
  It's a pleasure. Was in same family for 80 years since new, before I acquired her recently. We are commissioning her at present (usual problem removing the heads).

Picture attached

trjford8    -- 02-26-2015 @ 5:22 PM
  Thank you for the photo. Very nice car and very interesting. I did not realize they made Jensen's in 1934.

Fuimus    -- 02-26-2015 @ 9:41 PM
  By resolving the engine number, we now know it is a 1935 chassis. All we knew previously was that the car was bodied by Jensen in 1935 and so assumed it might have been a 1934 Chassis. The car was delivered in South Africa in February 1936.

The Jensen Brothers were talented stylists and coach builders who worked for WJ Smith in the UK from 1931. They took control of the business after Smith died and renamed it Jensen Motors in 1934.

The first car of this style was reportedly built in 1934 on special order for Clark Gable, whose agent sent over 2 Ford V8 Rolling Chassis to be bodied as sporting four seat tourers - one for him and one for Gable (another story!). The style attracted strong interest and so with some styling improvements, a few more prototypes were made by special order.

This car is one of those prototype cars marketed as the Jensen Ford V-8 Close Coupled Drop Head Coupe, of which just a handful were made to special order in 1935.

The first production Jensen was the restyled S Type from 1936, initially powered by a supply of Ford V-8 engines delivered in an agreement between Jensen and Edsel Ford himself.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8246