LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / '33 -'34 radiator hose scripts

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: '33 -'34 radiator hose scripts -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

Jim Krack
10-21-2014 @ 10:48 PM

Back in the 70's vendors were selling radiator hoses with not only a red stripe, but also a "Ford (script) USA" on the other side of the hose from the stripe. I highly questioned the authenticity of the script since I never saw one on any old hoses "way back then." Thus, I took lacquer thinner and removed the script, leaving me with just the red stripe, which I had determined was accurate.

Today, it's the same situation. Carpenter's catalog says they sell them both ways, but when I tried to order red stripe only, they said their supplier quit offering them. So I bought their only available option. Drake also sells the Script and stripe combo, I believe. C&G has stripe only, but the stripe is not very straight.

So,what is authentically correct? Stripe only (as I think,) or the script-stripe combo that is readily available? Thanks for your input.

1934 Ford
10-28-2014 @ 5:27 PM
Senior

A good, fair question that has gone unanwered for over a week now. The 1933-34 Ford Book, Restoration Manual (Early Ford V8 Club of America publiction) shows them both ways. I've done it both ways and the Ford Script is a little showy for me, but I've never been into judging.
Are there any judges out there?

1934 Ford's since 1972

3w2
10-28-2014 @ 5:31 PM
Senior

The production hoses lacked the script at least through the '37 model year (according to the original engineering releases at the Benson Ford Research Center). Break out the lacquer thinner.

Don Rogers
10-29-2014 @ 1:25 PM
Senior

Here's a copy of an article that I wrote for the V-8 Times back in 2011

Henry Didn’t Always Follow The Script
Don Rogers 1/4/11

Ever since I have been in the Early Ford V-8 hobby, the question has always risen regarding whether or not authentic Ford parts are marked with a Ford script. The most accurate answer has been..”It Depends”. High on the discussion list has been the question of radiator hoses. Did radiator hoses have a Ford script on them? Was it on only replacement hoses? Was it on production hoses and replacement hoses? If so, what years had script?... The debate went on.

While at the Benson Ford Research Center last summer doing research on a variety of subjects, I got distracted (as often happens to me) and decided to look into the radiator hose issue. It soon became evident that the engineering drawing collection on upper (8260) and lower (8286) radiator hoses was confusing and certainly not complete. Looking for specific information on one model year or another became very frustrating. When I would look up a specific number such as 18-8250 or 18-8286 I would find nothing or if I did find a drawing such as B-8260, It would be dated 2/2/1944 and have been revised many, many times.
Returning the next day, I decided to take a different approach and look at any drawing ending in 8260 or 8286 and sort the results by the last revision date on the drawing. I was surprised at the results.

In general, any hose drawing dated prior to late 1941 indicated no Scripting or manufacturers markings. From late 1941 till early 1944 (War Years) there were notes on the drawings about manufacturers I.D. markings, but no Script. From early 1944 till late 1949, drawings indicated a Ford Script & U.S.A. markings as well as manufacturers I.D. markings. A 19A-8286 drawing dated 12/12/1947 calls for a Ford Script & U.S.A. as well as Mercury in block letters along with a note on manufacturers I.D. markings. In October of 1949 most hose drawings began to call for FOMOCO inside an Oval on each hose.
While not 100% conclusive, I feel that it makes sense to say that radiator hoses made during the 1932 to 1940 model years were not Scripted. Hoses made for the 1941 and 1942 model years may have had manufacturers markings but no Script. Models coming out after WWII most likely had Ford Script on the hoses as well as manufacturers markings until 1949 when the Ford Script gave way to FOMOCO. Replacement hoses made in later years for earlier cars most likely would have been marked to reflect the standards in place at the time of manufacture.

Don Rogers
10-29-2014 @ 1:40 PM
Senior

PS There was also no indicated requirement for a stripe on the hose. The stripe was probably specific to a particular supplier indicating burst or pressure rating.

1934 Ford
10-30-2014 @ 6:22 AM
Senior

Now that's the kind of research and answer that makes this site so informative, Thanks Don Rogers & 3W2. I remember the article in the V8 Times, but not the details.
I hope Jim Krack (Original question) comes back to read the answer and joins the Early Ford V8 Forum and the club. Now I know my non-script hoses where not just cheaper, but more correct.

1934 Ford's since 1972

TomO
10-30-2014 @ 7:25 AM
Senior

I hope that Jerry Windle will incorporate Don's answer in the V-8 Times. That is valuable information that should be published somewhere that will survive.

Thanks Don, for doing the research and sharing it with us.

Tom

Don Rogers
10-30-2014 @ 8:05 AM
Senior

TomO, As I pointed out above, This information was written by me and published in the V-8 Times back in 2011.

Thanks for the kind comments TomO and 1934 Ford

TomO
10-30-2014 @ 9:55 AM
Senior

Don, I need to take a remedial reading course. I missed that.

Tom

Jim Krack
11-20-2014 @ 11:57 AM

Don,

I've been away from my computer for some time, so didn't read your excellent commentary until today. Thanks so much for your very informative reply!

Like the first respondent said, "Break out the lacquer thinner," which is what I'd have done if no one replied.

This was my first post. I am quite pleased to know there are still purists out there who really want to "do it right" on the early cars, so I am sure I will post again sometime.

Like they say down in old Mexico, "Muchas Garcias."

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org