Topic: '33 -'34 radiator hose scripts

Jim Krack    -- 10-21-2014 @ 10:48 PM
  Back in the 70's vendors were selling radiator hoses with not only a red stripe, but also a "Ford (script) USA" on the other side of the hose from the stripe. I highly questioned the authenticity of the script since I never saw one on any old hoses "way back then." Thus, I took lacquer thinner and removed the script, leaving me with just the red stripe, which I had determined was accurate.

Today, it's the same situation. Carpenter's catalog says they sell them both ways, but when I tried to order red stripe only, they said their supplier quit offering them. So I bought their only available option. Drake also sells the Script and stripe combo, I believe. C&G has stripe only, but the stripe is not very straight.

So,what is authentically correct? Stripe only (as I think,) or the script-stripe combo that is readily available? Thanks for your input.

1934 Ford    -- 10-28-2014 @ 5:27 PM
  A good, fair question that has gone unanwered for over a week now. The 1933-34 Ford Book, Restoration Manual (Early Ford V8 Club of America publiction) shows them both ways. I've done it both ways and the Ford Script is a little showy for me, but I've never been into judging.
Are there any judges out there?

1934 Ford's since 1972

3w2    -- 10-28-2014 @ 5:31 PM
  The production hoses lacked the script at least through the '37 model year (according to the original engineering releases at the Benson Ford Research Center). Break out the lacquer thinner.

Don Rogers    -- 10-29-2014 @ 1:25 PM
  Here's a copy of an article that I wrote for the V-8 Times back in 2011

Henry Didn’t Always Follow The Script
Don Rogers 1/4/11

Ever since I have been in the Early Ford V-8 hobby, the question has always risen regarding whether or not authentic Ford parts are marked with a Ford script. The most accurate answer has been..”It Depends”. High on the discussion list has been the question of radiator hoses. Did radiator hoses have a Ford script on them? Was it on only replacement hoses? Was it on production hoses and replacement hoses? If so, what years had script?... The debate went on.

While at the Benson Ford Research Center last summer doing research on a variety of subjects, I got distracted (as often happens to me) and decided to look into the radiator hose issue. It soon became evident that the engineering drawing collection on upper (8260) and lower (8286) radiator hoses was confusing and certainly not complete. Looking for specific information on one model year or another became very frustrating. When I would look up a specific number such as 18-8250 or 18-8286 I would find nothing or if I did find a drawing such as B-8260, It would be dated 2/2/1944 and have been revised many, many times.
Returning the next day, I decided to take a different approach and look at any drawing ending in 8260 or 8286 and sort the results by the last revision date on the drawing. I was surprised at the results.

In general, any hose drawing dated prior to late 1941 indicated no Scripting or manufacturers markings. From late 1941 till early 1944 (War Years) there were notes on the drawings about manufacturers I.D. markings, but no Script. From early 1944 till late 1949, drawings indicated a Ford Script & U.S.A. markings as well as manufacturers I.D. markings. A 19A-8286 drawing dated 12/12/1947 calls for a Ford Script & U.S.A. as well as Mercury in block letters along with a note on manufacturers I.D. markings. In October of 1949 most hose drawings began to call for FOMOCO inside an Oval on each hose.
While not 100% conclusive, I feel that it makes sense to say that radiator hoses made during the 1932 to 1940 model years were not Scripted. Hoses made for the 1941 and 1942 model years may have had manufacturers markings but no Script. Models coming out after WWII most likely had Ford Script on the hoses as well as manufacturers markings until 1949 when the Ford Script gave way to FOMOCO. Replacement hoses made in later years for earlier cars most likely would have been marked to reflect the standards in place at the time of manufacture.

Don Rogers    -- 10-29-2014 @ 1:40 PM
  PS There was also no indicated requirement for a stripe on the hose. The stripe was probably specific to a particular supplier indicating burst or pressure rating.

1934 Ford    -- 10-30-2014 @ 6:22 AM
  Now that's the kind of research and answer that makes this site so informative, Thanks Don Rogers & 3W2. I remember the article in the V8 Times, but not the details.
I hope Jim Krack (Original question) comes back to read the answer and joins the Early Ford V8 Forum and the club. Now I know my non-script hoses where not just cheaper, but more correct.

1934 Ford's since 1972

TomO    -- 10-30-2014 @ 7:25 AM
  I hope that Jerry Windle will incorporate Don's answer in the V-8 Times. That is valuable information that should be published somewhere that will survive.

Thanks Don, for doing the research and sharing it with us.

Tom

Don Rogers    -- 10-30-2014 @ 8:05 AM
  TomO, As I pointed out above, This information was written by me and published in the V-8 Times back in 2011.

Thanks for the kind comments TomO and 1934 Ford

TomO    -- 10-30-2014 @ 9:55 AM
  Don, I need to take a remedial reading course. I missed that.

Tom

Jim Krack    -- 11-20-2014 @ 11:57 AM
  Don,

I've been away from my computer for some time, so didn't read your excellent commentary until today. Thanks so much for your very informative reply!

Like the first respondent said, "Break out the lacquer thinner," which is what I'd have done if no one replied.

This was my first post. I am quite pleased to know there are still purists out there who really want to "do it right" on the early cars, so I am sure I will post again sometime.

Like they say down in old Mexico, "Muchas Garcias."

kubes40    -- 11-21-2014 @ 11:20 AM
  My research has been nearly spot on with Don Rogers. I only researched the 39 - 40 Fords but those, for certain, had no identifying marks on the factory installed hoses.
Mike Kubarth

39 Ken    -- 11-22-2014 @ 4:56 AM
  Mike, Did the 39-40 hoses have the metal brace on the
factory installed units?

kubes40    -- 11-22-2014 @ 6:23 AM
  !939 did NOT have external braces on the upper hoses. 1940 DID have external braces.
In '39, the hoses were reinforced internally.
All of the 39 - 40 upper hoses you see offered by the typical repop stores were fashioned after later - service replacement parts.
Mike Kubarth

39 Ken    -- 11-23-2014 @ 4:58 AM
  Thanks Mike.

Jim Krack, Apology for hijacking your thread.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7842