LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Stumbly 36...carb??...or ign??

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Stumbly 36...carb??...or ign?? -- page: 1 2 3 4 5

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

avrotom
06-14-2015 @ 10:12 PM

At the risk of unduly extending this thread, I did not see any mention of the exhaust system. I have had plugged/restricted exhaust create strange symptoms, notwithstanding the faults and repairs you had to make on the fuel and ignition systems. Just a thought.

TomO
06-08-2015 @ 6:46 AM
Senior

Here's the Merc

Tom

TomO
06-08-2015 @ 6:39 AM
Senior

I had my 53 Lincoln at Springfield, I will ne taking my Merc to Brainerd.

Tom

VT/JeffH
06-07-2015 @ 9:10 PM

Hi Grant, and all the other posters in this thread.

Grant, I followed you in Springfield on the tour, and remember the fun times fondly. I was driving a '36 Phaeton and had my brother Steve, with me.

I see you're all fixed, but I had something to add.

One thing I didn't see suggested for the 'cylinder out' test is to use a long handled screwdriver to short the spark plug to the head. Of course don't let your finger touch the metal shaft!

That takes out a cylinder without removing the plug wire or plug. (I realize your tests did a little better than this one, as you could observe the condition of the spark.)

Just trying to help.

Another point of failure I didn't see come up is the rubber hose between the firewall and the fuel pump. Sometimes they get pinholes that don't leak fuel but suck air.

Props to the fellas that have helped. TomO I think I met for the first time in Springfield (Isn't that Merc gorgeous?), and I've known Ken for several years. Good people!

Grant
06-02-2015 @ 6:03 PM
Senior

Thanks very much, Tom.

I managed to find time today to get under the car and tighten all connections in the fuel line, as well as all vacuum connections for the Columbia rear end.

The bubbles are gone from the see-through in-line filter.

Acceleration is excellent again, and the engine is running beautifully.

Looks like the distributor is probably okay.

It's hard to understand why the ring clamps would have noticeably loosened off during seven months of winter storage, but that appears to be what happened.

TomO
06-01-2015 @ 7:48 AM
Senior

Grant,

The one thing that comes to mind that could cause your problem is bugs in the distributor. I had a similar problem with a 45 truck a few years ago. There was a spider web keeping the points from making good contact.

I would clean the points and check that the condenser is making good contact with ground and the points.

The bubbles that you are seeing in the filter is because of a vacuum leak in the connections of the filter. The electric pump is pushing gas through the filter and the mechanical pump is trying to suck gas from the tank.

If you are still having problems, a new topic would be in order. This one is very long and hard to read.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 6-1-15 @ 9:01 AM

Grant
05-29-2015 @ 2:00 PM
Senior

Henry's Revenge has struck again..........

In my last post on this thread, on 31 October 2014, after almost three months of trying to get our '36 running properly, I thought that the various problems had all been resolved and said:

"Performance is vastly improved. The car has never run this well."

Since getting it out of storage three weeks and approximately 100 miles ago, pretty much the same misbehavior from last year is happening all over again:

1. gutless from a standing start as soon as it warms up

2. not bad performance in 2nd, but really poor acceleration in 3rd

3. a sensation of "chugging" sometimes

4. black soot coming out of the tail pipes, more on the right than on the left

Today I discovered that the three nuts which hold down the carburetor were somewhat loose, so I tightened them up and took the car for another drive.

It is now running much worse, could barely make it up the hill just before our farm laneway, and had one big backfire about 100 yards before I made it home.

In the garage, before shutting off the ignition, I opened both sides of the hood and took the air cleaner off before checking the operation of the accelerator linkage and the throttle linkage. There is no apparent binding in those metal components. Removing the air cleaner made no difference to the choppy idle and near-stalling.

Curiously, there is one new symptom which has never appeared before.

In the see-through plastic fuel filter which is mounted between the mechanical fuel pump and the metal line on the firewall, there are now lots of bubbles. Turning on the electric fuel pump switch fills up the see-through filter, and eliminates most of the bubbles ............ but the engine still runs poorly and acts like it wants to stall.

There is no evidence of dirt or grunge or small foreign matter particles in either of the see-through plastic filters (the other one is mounted in the line which connects the mechanical fuel pump to the freshly rebuilt carb).

So ...... what are the flathead gods up to this time?

Why did this '36 perform so well before going into winter storage, and then revert back to its old totally unreliable state?

Is there maybe some sort of pinholing in the steel gas line under the car somewhere?

Before being put away for six months, the car had a full tank of gas with a can of Seafoam poured in first.

ken ct.
10-31-2014 @ 3:51 AM
Senior

Bubba and I thank you for your good words. I would have sweared you said something about a cracked Columbia plate some where in your replies (which would cause a vacume leak) Maybe im wrong on that but glad its finally running right. ken isidor ken ct.

Grant
10-31-2014 @ 3:32 AM
Senior

I have now managed to put about 60 miles on the '36.

Performance is vastly improved. The car has never run this well. Acceleration is snappy and at 70 mph there is still lots of room between the accelerator pedal and the floor.

For any fellow member needing a rebuild done on an early Ford distributor or carburetor, I have no hesitation in recommending Jim "Bubba" Linder or Ken Isidor. High quality workmanship, fast turn-around time, and very reasonable prices.

TomO
10-13-2014 @ 2:47 PM
Senior

Thanks for the update. I am glad that it is finally running right.

I hope to take my 40 Mercury to the 2015 CNM in Brainard, MN, next year. It is quite a hall for an old guy and I need to check out the Minnesota Air-force. If it is a damp spriing, they will be flying all day.

Tom

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3 4 5

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org