LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Stalls when turning corner, bucks at 15mph

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Stalls when turning corner, bucks at 15mph -- page: 1 2 3

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

murphy1936
06-27-2014 @ 2:40 PM

PROBLEM WAS CARBURATOR THKS TO ALL

Super Deluxe 41

murphy1936
06-13-2014 @ 10:09 PM

Thank you all for assistance. Final conclusion is, not enough gas in bowl. So it sloshed to one side when turning and stalled out

Super Deluxe 41

TomO
06-05-2014 @ 8:00 AM
Senior

Did you check fuel delivery? did you plug the extra vacuum port on the carburetor?

Do you have a vacuum gauge? If not, I would invest in one, they are very handy for normal maintenance and trouble shooting. Here is a link to instructions on how to use and interpret one.

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/186.cfm

The idle problem sounds like a leaking power valve gasket or float too high. Look down the throat of the carburetor when the engine is idling. You should NOT see gas coming out of the nozzles.

Tom

murphy1936
06-03-2014 @ 9:27 PM

This is a follow up to my problem, which in part still exist: checked and corrected all possible vaccum leaks. Cleaned all carburator parts , checked float level, plugged off wiper vaccum as I believe a leak exists in the line or switch somewhere. Made sure no leak occurred in the intake manifold.a test in the car was better but not entirely as the idle stinks, it goes up and down and eventually stalls. Car ran better cool but when heated up the idle seems worst. Turning corners was better and seemed to be running better after turn and/ not shutting off. It does hesitate a little after turn. Maybe pump is acting up? this is using the carb that came with car. Coil rebuilt .barrowed a good distributor with new coil rebuilt for testing . Need mor advice.. John

Super Deluxe 41

TomO
05-30-2014 @ 8:12 AM
Senior

It sounds like you may have the 49-53 type carburetor on your car. The additional connection is for the distributor advance and should be plugged for your application.

The correct carburetor has 91-99 cast into the float bowl, but a 21-29 or a 59 marked carburetor will perform satisfactorily on your engine.

The sediment bowl should be full after running the car and should stay full while running the car. The bowl gasket (9364 in the drawing) needs to be soft and compliant so it can seal. The thumb screw (9387)needs to be finger tight, using pliers can warp the housing (9354) and cause vacuum leaks. You should check your fuel delivery, as it seems to be the problem.

To check fuel delivery, you need a graduated 16 ounce or larger container to determine the amount of fuel delivered in a measured time. Disconnect the fuel pump line from the carburetor and direct it into a graduated container. Crank the engine long enough to get 2 ounces of gas in the container and then continue cranking for 15 more strokes of the pump. The pump should have delivered 6 more ounces of gas.

Causes of insufficient fuel delivery are, vacuum leaks in the supply side of the fuel pump or plugged lines in the supply side or a weak fuel pump and rarely a worn fuel pump push rod.

The stromberg carburetor was not designed for your engine and they usually do not perform as well as the correct 91-99 when both carburetor have been correctly rebuilt. Charlie has a good reputation and I would trust his rebuilt carburetor.

Let us know how you make out.

Tom

murphy1936
05-29-2014 @ 8:09 PM

Removed fuel filter went for test drive. Went about 35-40 and came to immediate stop, car stalled. Checked vaccums hose tighten one clip. Still no difference stalling occurs. Spoke to Charlie he wants carb back and will not allow me to pay any postage either way he will assume cost. He runs a class act business in my opinion. Btw, I emptied the gas out of the bow, it was slightly more than 1oz? Seems such a small amount. I read that a Stromberg carb would be better for my car as it has the least affect on vaccum leaks etc. Thank you for the great response to all. For the time being, I will use the carb that was on th car, it's not for my car as it does not have throttle connection. It a 1936 or 38 maybe? Besides the inlet for the gas from the pump, it has on the passenger side,w another inlet hole !? Could this be a vaccum connection?? Anyone? John

Super Deluxe 41

ken ct.
05-28-2014 @ 2:34 PM
Senior

Im sure 100% Charlie checks for leaky floats when he rebuilds,hes top notch in the fhe field. ken ct.

supereal
05-28-2014 @ 1:45 PM
Senior

Years ago, we chased a problem similar to this one, It happened when the vehicle turned only one direction, then would resume operation. It was a head scratcher until we observed a loose notor mount. The movement of the engine flexed the wire between the firewall and the distributor until it finally had a gap where it couldn't be seen inside the insulation. We found it with an ohmmeter while we moved the wiring.

ford38v8
05-25-2014 @ 10:40 PM
Senior

Murphy, It seems that we are at a disadvantage here with your problem. We don't know the year model of your car, what carburetor you are running, and your pump can be one of several, each having different characteristics. Without specifics, and without pictures, it becomes apparent that our guesses are not worth much.

Alan

murphy1936
05-25-2014 @ 9:53 PM

The filter is within a fuel pump I should have made that clearer john

Super Deluxe 41

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org