Topic: Stalls when turning corner, bucks at 15mph

murphy1936    -- 05-21-2014 @ 9:27 PM
  When turning corner she sometimes stalls out. Also, she bucks at about 15mph after turning corner when she doesn't stall out. any ideas on this would be helpful. Thank you john

Super Deluxe 41

deuce_roadster    -- 05-21-2014 @ 9:46 PM
  I would suspect a float set too high.

ford38v8    -- 05-21-2014 @ 11:00 PM
  Murphy, it is almost certain to be a fuel delivery issue. What was the last thing you did to the fuel system? Chances are that the problem is related, such as changing a fuel filter, installing a fuel pump, rebuilding the carburetor?

Alan

murphy1936    -- 05-22-2014 @ 6:36 PM
  Allen I changed fuel filter, put a upgrade fuel connection from fuel line to fuel pump. The connection was done two weeks ago the filter after that. The filter when I installed from Joes , was small when I installed then the filter swelled up which I thought was normal? If it was filter why wouldn't it act up on straight away roads? Just thinking out loud. The carb was working fine before. The stall normally occurs on a right turn at about 12 to 15 MPH. Maybe it has to be like was mentioned the float? The previous gentlemen mentioned this?

Super Deluxe 41

murphy1936    -- 05-22-2014 @ 6:39 PM
  Deuce you may be right but I got carb from Charlie in New York he was highly recommended the only thing I did on install was adjust idle. Thanks John

Super Deluxe 41

deuce_roadster    -- 05-22-2014 @ 9:43 PM
  It could have been perfect when shipped from Charlie but if the package got thrown around, I could imagine that little tab that sets the level could have been moved. (ever see the movie Ace Ventura, Pet Detective?! Jim Carrey plays a fake UPS guy)
Hope you get it figured out, the fact that turns make it happen makes me think the fuel level is too high in the bowl and sloshes over. Do you get some black smoke when it chugs and keeps running?

murphy1936    -- 05-22-2014 @ 10:11 PM
  Don't remember seeing black smoke but will see if it occurs. I remembered one thing though, when I changed the fuel line from pump to carb, one end the tubing stuck out beyond ferrule too much should be 1/8 inch and I told myself to cut it back on another day. Should have done it right away, that might be another answer? Will let you guys know when I work on it again thanks to all, John

Super Deluxe 41

flathead4rd    -- 05-23-2014 @ 7:22 AM
  I would guess either the float level is too high or the float has a small pin hole in it and is slowly sinking. I assume the engine is stock or close to it and you are not running an electric pump.

TomO    -- 05-23-2014 @ 8:48 AM
  Murphy,

I suspect that your fuel level is too low. Your fuel filter may be restricting flow and starving the engine, or you may have a vacuum leak.

Where is your filter located and what was the upgraded fuel connection?

Tom

ford38v8    -- 05-23-2014 @ 3:03 PM
  Murphy, your having replaced components of the fuel system, then the problem developed... That is your clue to solving the problem. The fuel line will suck air at imperfect connections, and will reduce flow from restrictions. The fuel line upgrade and the filter could each contribute to the problem, which will lower the fuel level in the bowl. Don't be confused about the turning corners thing, as slosh in the bowl will send a false fuel level signal to the inlet valve.

Regarding the upgrade fuel line, I suppose you installed a new flex line? Quality of flex lines varies greatly, and has been the cause of fuel restrictions for many others. One known good line is supplied by a man named Sherman? who advertises in the V8 Times. He offers two versions, one straight through and one with a check valve. My opinion is to forget about using a check velve.

Alan

murphy1936    -- 05-23-2014 @ 8:56 PM
  Fuel line was from Sherman who advertises in v8 What is your thought on fuel filter that might cause problem ?? Bad filter ? Brings me to ask ,the filter I took out had no spring under it this one has a spring? Where does it go in the bowl.? I left it out? Would that be a potential problem?
. John

Super Deluxe 41

murphy1936    -- 05-23-2014 @ 8:58 PM
  Filter is in the bowl of pump, but the spring that came with it I left it out as the filter I took out had no springL?

Super Deluxe 41

murphy1936    -- 05-23-2014 @ 9:00 PM
  Stock engine, no electric pump, thanks Flathead

Super Deluxe 41

murphy1936    -- 05-23-2014 @ 9:03 PM
  Question, spring that came with fuel filter, does it only go on certain cars ? I didn't put it in as I didn't see one when old

Super Deluxe 41

ford38v8    -- 05-23-2014 @ 10:05 PM
  Murphy, I'm not familiar with modern glass bowl filters, the original setup was intended as a sedment bowl, or had a ceramic filter, so I cannot advise you regarding the spring. ...However, the installation of the glass bowl itself is tricky to insure no air leaks. This is very likely the cause right here: The cork gasket for the glass bowl has hardened with age, and is not sealed against air leaks. Remove the bowl and cork, soften the cork in hot motor oil, reinstall it, insuring a good seal. Do this and nothing more, then take a test drive and let us know the results.

Alan

TomO    -- 05-24-2014 @ 7:19 AM
  Murphy,

As Alan said, the original design for the glass bowl is a sediment bowl. The debris from the tank would sett;e to the bottom and any that did not would be filtered by the fine screen before it got to the fuel pump.

The purpose of the spring is to hold the filter tight to the top of the housing, preventing the debris from bypassing the filter. If the filter is not held tight to the top, debris can enter the housing and go directly to the fuel pump.

The screen that should have been in your fuel pump is fine enough to catch any debris that could affect performance of the fuel pump or carburetor, making an additional filer unnecessary.

I am concerned that the filter swelled up when you installed it. It may be defective.

Tom

murphy1936    -- 05-24-2014 @ 6:35 PM
  I'll try that Allen john

Super Deluxe 41

murphy1936    -- 05-25-2014 @ 9:53 PM
  The filter is within a fuel pump I should have made that clearer john

Super Deluxe 41

ford38v8    -- 05-25-2014 @ 10:40 PM
  Murphy, It seems that we are at a disadvantage here with your problem. We don't know the year model of your car, what carburetor you are running, and your pump can be one of several, each having different characteristics. Without specifics, and without pictures, it becomes apparent that our guesses are not worth much.

Alan

supereal    -- 05-28-2014 @ 1:45 PM
  Years ago, we chased a problem similar to this one, It happened when the vehicle turned only one direction, then would resume operation. It was a head scratcher until we observed a loose notor mount. The movement of the engine flexed the wire between the firewall and the distributor until it finally had a gap where it couldn't be seen inside the insulation. We found it with an ohmmeter while we moved the wiring.

ken ct.    -- 05-28-2014 @ 2:34 PM
  Im sure 100% Charlie checks for leaky floats when he rebuilds,hes top notch in the fhe field. ken ct.

murphy1936    -- 05-29-2014 @ 8:09 PM
  Removed fuel filter went for test drive. Went about 35-40 and came to immediate stop, car stalled. Checked vaccums hose tighten one clip. Still no difference stalling occurs. Spoke to Charlie he wants carb back and will not allow me to pay any postage either way he will assume cost. He runs a class act business in my opinion. Btw, I emptied the gas out of the bow, it was slightly more than 1oz? Seems such a small amount. I read that a Stromberg carb would be better for my car as it has the least affect on vaccum leaks etc. Thank you for the great response to all. For the time being, I will use the carb that was on th car, it's not for my car as it does not have throttle connection. It a 1936 or 38 maybe? Besides the inlet for the gas from the pump, it has on the passenger side,w another inlet hole !? Could this be a vaccum connection?? Anyone? John

Super Deluxe 41

TomO    -- 05-30-2014 @ 8:12 AM
  It sounds like you may have the 49-53 type carburetor on your car. The additional connection is for the distributor advance and should be plugged for your application.

The correct carburetor has 91-99 cast into the float bowl, but a 21-29 or a 59 marked carburetor will perform satisfactorily on your engine.

The sediment bowl should be full after running the car and should stay full while running the car. The bowl gasket (9364 in the drawing) needs to be soft and compliant so it can seal. The thumb screw (9387)needs to be finger tight, using pliers can warp the housing (9354) and cause vacuum leaks. You should check your fuel delivery, as it seems to be the problem.

To check fuel delivery, you need a graduated 16 ounce or larger container to determine the amount of fuel delivered in a measured time. Disconnect the fuel pump line from the carburetor and direct it into a graduated container. Crank the engine long enough to get 2 ounces of gas in the container and then continue cranking for 15 more strokes of the pump. The pump should have delivered 6 more ounces of gas.

Causes of insufficient fuel delivery are, vacuum leaks in the supply side of the fuel pump or plugged lines in the supply side or a weak fuel pump and rarely a worn fuel pump push rod.

The stromberg carburetor was not designed for your engine and they usually do not perform as well as the correct 91-99 when both carburetor have been correctly rebuilt. Charlie has a good reputation and I would trust his rebuilt carburetor.

Let us know how you make out.

Tom

murphy1936    -- 06-03-2014 @ 9:27 PM
  This is a follow up to my problem, which in part still exist: checked and corrected all possible vaccum leaks. Cleaned all carburator parts , checked float level, plugged off wiper vaccum as I believe a leak exists in the line or switch somewhere. Made sure no leak occurred in the intake manifold.a test in the car was better but not entirely as the idle stinks, it goes up and down and eventually stalls. Car ran better cool but when heated up the idle seems worst. Turning corners was better and seemed to be running better after turn and/ not shutting off. It does hesitate a little after turn. Maybe pump is acting up? this is using the carb that came with car. Coil rebuilt .barrowed a good distributor with new coil rebuilt for testing . Need mor advice.. John

Super Deluxe 41

TomO    -- 06-05-2014 @ 8:00 AM
  Did you check fuel delivery? did you plug the extra vacuum port on the carburetor?

Do you have a vacuum gauge? If not, I would invest in one, they are very handy for normal maintenance and trouble shooting. Here is a link to instructions on how to use and interpret one.

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/186.cfm

The idle problem sounds like a leaking power valve gasket or float too high. Look down the throat of the carburetor when the engine is idling. You should NOT see gas coming out of the nozzles.

Tom

murphy1936    -- 06-13-2014 @ 10:09 PM
  Thank you all for assistance. Final conclusion is, not enough gas in bowl. So it sloshed to one side when turning and stalled out

Super Deluxe 41

murphy1936    -- 06-27-2014 @ 2:40 PM
  PROBLEM WAS CARBURATOR THKS TO ALL

Super Deluxe 41

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7348