LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Bad Optima 6V battery?

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Bad Optima 6V battery? -- page: 1 2 3

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

42guy
03-04-2011 @ 8:17 PM

I have an Interstate battery in mine and it's about 5 years old.
No problem with leakage or corrosion and it cost $52. I did have a NAPA battery that only lasted 2 years.

39 Ken
03-04-2011 @ 12:33 PM

Bob, Your '46 originally had a model #2H, 6v battery. The earlier cars used a 2L which is shorter. I used old original 2L battery cases for my '39, cleaned out and modified to accept an Optima. I had to cut a diagonal hole thru the bottom of the case, in the shape of the Optima. I did a top in a similar fashion as you did. Both of these have been in service more than 10 years. Optima has increased the height of the battery by about 3/8th's of an inch which almost makes it unusable in an original 2L case as I have described here. The new Optima will still fit an original 2H case. The price of the Optima is far less than the amount I had to spend to remove, repair, paint and replace an inner fender panel because of a regular battery that boiled and spewed acid. And yes, the water in the battery was just covering the top of the plates as directed by the manufacturer and the charging system was in proper operating condition. When these go, I will replace with another Optima. How I will modify the battery tray will be addressed when that happens. JMO Ken

keith oh
03-04-2011 @ 12:28 PM

Good heavens, $209 for a Optima and have to have special chargers plus hide the ugly thing. You can buy three group 1 or group 2 batteries from Tractor Supply or Batteries Incorporated for that money and I have never had one last less than four years. I guess I am just to practical.

supereal
03-04-2011 @ 10:12 AM
Senior

That is what I did. I routed the top to resemble the cells and straps, made the sides fron "bead board" and placed the Optima "catty corner" in the box. With 3 caps on top, and with a coat of black semi gloss paint, most people don't see that it isn't really an old battery. It was sized to use the existing tray and hold down, of course. If someone does catch on, I usually tell them that "wood batteries were common in old cars". That usually produces a good laugh.

37RAGTOPMAN
03-04-2011 @ 4:55 AM
Senior

Build a wooden box and paint it black to take up the slack,
just a idea, 37RAGTOPMAN
ALSO
here is a web site for BATTIERES made for OLD FORDS A B 32 33 34-35 36.37,38,39,40,41,42,46.47,48,,plus much more,
if you want the FIT and LOOK RIGHT, and FORD POINT SHOWING,
http://www.turbostart.com/ NEW CASTLE BATTERY, PA
Hope this helps 37 RAGTOPMAN
this might end some peoples problems,
I have used these and last 5-7 years,
like anything , you take care of it it takes care of you,

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 3-5-11 @ 12:18 PM

BigBlockFord
03-04-2011 @ 3:44 AM

I just purchased the Optima for the '33. Didn't like the cost but was recommended by several other members. The biggest concern I have with it, is it's design. The cells protrude about an inch below the case, in a diagonal position thus preventing the battery from laying flat in the frame. The battery will rock side to side. Very poor design!!!!

Keith Smith
03-04-2011 @ 3:38 AM

Thanks for the information. I'll look into an Optima for the 36. As much as I would like to drive it on Sunday afternoons, there always seems to be something that makes me have to leave it sitting in the garage. Hopefully, that will change now that I've bought a place that I can keep it with me and take it out whenever the mood hits me.

supereal
03-03-2011 @ 3:28 PM
Senior

One of my Optimas lasted 7 years, and I have it on my bench now to test 6 volt stuff. The main, and probably only, way to ruin an Optima battery is to hook it up to a conventional charger. Like all "glass mat" batteries, the Optima must be charged very slowly with no more than about 7 volts. At our shop, we sell Interstate batteries, and they are very high quality. I have one in my own truck. However, a conventional lead-acid battery will be lucky to last 2 years in seldom driven vehicles. Each charge-discharge cycle reduces the capacity. It boils down to ":it ain't what you pay, but how often you pay it"!

Keith Smith
03-03-2011 @ 2:35 PM

Sorry to open this back up, but I'm replacing the 6 volt in my 36 about every 2 years. I get them from O Riely's or Autozone for about $80. I only get to drive the car about 4-5 times a year. It's a pain that, after the first year, I have to start charging the battery just to enjoy the car. Then I'm always worried about getting stranded or jumping it off a 12v jump box. Is there some other problem I should look for in my system, or is it from lack of use? I'm finally going to get to store the car at my home, where I can run the car more frequently. I hope that helps.

37RAGTOPMAN
08-04-2010 @ 8:02 AM
Senior

I am with KEITH OH,
WHY SPEND that kind of money on a OPTIMA for a part time use,
after driving my 37 since 1979, and have NO problems with the battery tray,if the battery is sulfating, it needs to be checked and maybe changed,because it is too old,or charging voltage is set to HIGH,causing boil over,
37RAGTOPMAN KEEP ON TRUCKIN,,,!!

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org