Topic: Bad Optima 6V battery?

Flatbob    -- 01-13-2010 @ 9:28 AM
  After being fully charged the battery shows 5.97V, is this an an indication of a weak battery? Have been told it should show around 6.7V. Checked a new 12V in another vehicle and showed 12.3V Really don't want to buy another 6V Optima but will if necessary.

supereal    -- 01-13-2010 @ 9:44 AM
  Just putting a voltmeter across a battery doesn't mean much. A good battery tester has a built in calibrating resistance. Most voltmeters have a very low resistance, and can't accurately measure the battery's condition. With the battery in the car, and the engine running at a fast idle, you should see about 7.2 volts. more or less. If less, the charging system may be faulty. If more, the battery may have developed a high internal resistance. If your Optima battery fails in less than several years, it is likely it has been damaged by overcharging, either in the vehicle, or by a charger. It is also possible that you have one or more poor connections in the system, or defective/undersized cables.

Flatbob    -- 01-13-2010 @ 10:56 AM
  Thanks for the opinion Bob, my battery is 5+ years old so will probably get a knew one, at fast idle I only get 6.2 V. My amp. meter gauge shows a plus charge when driving; I would like to believe charging system is ok.

TomO    -- 01-14-2010 @ 8:20 AM
  Flatbob, have your battery checked with a modern load tester. Most places that sell batteries will check it for free. The Optima battery must be charged with a slow charge and may take as long as 2 days to reach full charge after being discharged. My Optima lasted 7 years and would still start the car, but was getting slow in cranking.

Tom

Flatbob    -- 01-14-2010 @ 9:15 AM
  TomO, will take it to nearest Auto Zone & get it checked.

t35    -- 01-14-2010 @ 1:32 PM
  i bought a new optima in 2006 and had trouble from the start. it would not hold a charge for more than 2 days.
interstate tested and verified it was defective, and replaced it.
it was a world of difference. it can sit for weeks with barely no discharge in 10-20 degree weather.
i've had the replacement over 2 years.
if you get a good one, you'll love it, but i've heard there are a lot of rejects.
tom

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 01-14-2010 @ 1:35 PM
  is the Optima battery worth it,?
I just relaced a battery, in MB,it was in there for 6 years,it was a DURALAST from AUTOZONE,
how much longer would a OPTIMA LAST,?
is it worth 2 times the price ?
just my 2 cents 37RAGTOPMAN
I see the prices on the OPTIMA starts $169.95 and went up to $209.95
I guess it up to the individual, what works best for them,

BERTHA    -- 01-14-2010 @ 7:01 PM
  I have never had good luck with the optama's. They never worked very well in the RV or the Ford. Replaced the RV's with two Lifeline AGM's and used a Ford logo from Mac's in the Ford. They both have a Battery Tender which works very well keeping them topped-up.

http://batterytender.com/automotive/battery-tender-junior-6v-at-0-75a.html

TomO    -- 01-16-2010 @ 8:45 AM
  I like the Optima for its ability to keep a charge, and cold cranking power. I also like the fact that I don't have to refinish the battery tray and frame every year due to corrosion from the lead acid battery. There is very little difference in price between the script lead acid battery and the Optima. You can buy them on Amazon for as low as $115, including shipping. Right now they are priced at $136 but they have sales regularly.

Tom

supereal    -- 01-16-2010 @ 10:31 AM
  If you are having, or have had, problems with the Optima battery, there can be several causes. The charging system in your vehicle may be set too low or too high. This is often seen with three brush systems. You may be using an inappropriate charger. The Optimas require a slow charge due to the spiral mat design. The battery may be defective. We have seen several, but not many. Be sure you retain the necessary documents for warranty replacement. We have sold Optimas almost from the first time they were offered, and found them to be ideal for old cars and trucks. They also have the benefit of being able to be mounted in any position, and they prevent the common rot seen from the overflow of ordinary lead-acid batteries. They are a bit pricey, but what really good thing isn't?

51f1    -- 01-16-2010 @ 12:05 PM
  If your conventional battery is not overfilled or overcharged, you shouldn't have trouble with corrosion. I use a battery pad under my battery and felt washers under the cable connections and my battery and tray are as clean and new looking as they were when I installed the battery.

Richard

37 Coupe    -- 01-16-2010 @ 2:56 PM
  Definitely worth it especially in a 37 Ford where your battery tray is also your firewall,even if they were not as efficient the no battery acid makes them worth it. No trouble with mine 5 years keep it on a maintainer when not in use.

Stroker    -- 08-03-2010 @ 10:27 AM
  This is sort of a dead topic, but a recent article by Bill McGuire in the September issue of Hot Rod
Magazine shares some good information on absorbed glass mat batteries like the Optima. If you think yours is dead, and won't take a charge, you might consider charging it in parallel with a fully charged battery of the same rated voltage. Apparently an Optima can become so thoroughly discharged that there isn't enough voltage for the charger to "sense" as a load. After about a hour, you can
disconnect the second battery and finish charging the Optima.

35gal    -- 08-03-2010 @ 6:01 PM
  I purchased an Optima battery and after a year while I was working on the battery box, the battery fell to the ground and a chip broke off the side. Did not think much about it but within a few weeks the battery would not hold charge. Took it to a dealer and they said the broken chip let mostiure in and damaged the battery. I was stil able to get a new one for just $10 exchange. To me, Optima is the only way to go. A strong and clean battery. Just don't drop it.

keith oh    -- 08-03-2010 @ 6:28 PM
  My last wet cell battery has gone 6 years, cost $5l, the one befor lasted 7 years, cost $45. Lets see, that's 13 years for total of $96. How does that match up to Optima?

40guy    -- 08-03-2010 @ 7:12 PM
  I vote for the Optima. I can only speak for myself. After 12 years of use, I'm satisfied.

BrianCT    -- 08-04-2010 @ 6:06 AM
  No one has picked up on the fact that your meter seems to read low on the 12v battery also. have you calibrated it or set the zero?

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 08-04-2010 @ 8:02 AM
  I am with KEITH OH,
WHY SPEND that kind of money on a OPTIMA for a part time use,
after driving my 37 since 1979, and have NO problems with the battery tray,if the battery is sulfating, it needs to be checked and maybe changed,because it is too old,or charging voltage is set to HIGH,causing boil over,
37RAGTOPMAN KEEP ON TRUCKIN,,,!!

Keith Smith    -- 03-03-2011 @ 2:35 PM
  Sorry to open this back up, but I'm replacing the 6 volt in my 36 about every 2 years. I get them from O Riely's or Autozone for about $80. I only get to drive the car about 4-5 times a year. It's a pain that, after the first year, I have to start charging the battery just to enjoy the car. Then I'm always worried about getting stranded or jumping it off a 12v jump box. Is there some other problem I should look for in my system, or is it from lack of use? I'm finally going to get to store the car at my home, where I can run the car more frequently. I hope that helps.

supereal    -- 03-03-2011 @ 3:28 PM
  One of my Optimas lasted 7 years, and I have it on my bench now to test 6 volt stuff. The main, and probably only, way to ruin an Optima battery is to hook it up to a conventional charger. Like all "glass mat" batteries, the Optima must be charged very slowly with no more than about 7 volts. At our shop, we sell Interstate batteries, and they are very high quality. I have one in my own truck. However, a conventional lead-acid battery will be lucky to last 2 years in seldom driven vehicles. Each charge-discharge cycle reduces the capacity. It boils down to ":it ain't what you pay, but how often you pay it"!

Keith Smith    -- 03-04-2011 @ 3:38 AM
  Thanks for the information. I'll look into an Optima for the 36. As much as I would like to drive it on Sunday afternoons, there always seems to be something that makes me have to leave it sitting in the garage. Hopefully, that will change now that I've bought a place that I can keep it with me and take it out whenever the mood hits me.

BigBlockFord    -- 03-04-2011 @ 3:44 AM
  I just purchased the Optima for the '33. Didn't like the cost but was recommended by several other members. The biggest concern I have with it, is it's design. The cells protrude about an inch below the case, in a diagonal position thus preventing the battery from laying flat in the frame. The battery will rock side to side. Very poor design!!!!

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-04-2011 @ 4:55 AM
  Build a wooden box and paint it black to take up the slack,
just a idea, 37RAGTOPMAN
ALSO
here is a web site for BATTIERES made for OLD FORDS A B 32 33 34-35 36.37,38,39,40,41,42,46.47,48,,plus much more,
if you want the FIT and LOOK RIGHT, and FORD POINT SHOWING,
http://www.turbostart.com/ NEW CASTLE BATTERY, PA
Hope this helps 37 RAGTOPMAN
this might end some peoples problems,
I have used these and last 5-7 years,
like anything , you take care of it it takes care of you,

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 3-5-11 @ 12:18 PM

supereal    -- 03-04-2011 @ 10:12 AM
  That is what I did. I routed the top to resemble the cells and straps, made the sides fron "bead board" and placed the Optima "catty corner" in the box. With 3 caps on top, and with a coat of black semi gloss paint, most people don't see that it isn't really an old battery. It was sized to use the existing tray and hold down, of course. If someone does catch on, I usually tell them that "wood batteries were common in old cars". That usually produces a good laugh.

keith oh    -- 03-04-2011 @ 12:28 PM
  Good heavens, $209 for a Optima and have to have special chargers plus hide the ugly thing. You can buy three group 1 or group 2 batteries from Tractor Supply or Batteries Incorporated for that money and I have never had one last less than four years. I guess I am just to practical.

39 Ken    -- 03-04-2011 @ 12:33 PM
  Bob, Your '46 originally had a model #2H, 6v battery. The earlier cars used a 2L which is shorter. I used old original 2L battery cases for my '39, cleaned out and modified to accept an Optima. I had to cut a diagonal hole thru the bottom of the case, in the shape of the Optima. I did a top in a similar fashion as you did. Both of these have been in service more than 10 years. Optima has increased the height of the battery by about 3/8th's of an inch which almost makes it unusable in an original 2L case as I have described here. The new Optima will still fit an original 2H case. The price of the Optima is far less than the amount I had to spend to remove, repair, paint and replace an inner fender panel because of a regular battery that boiled and spewed acid. And yes, the water in the battery was just covering the top of the plates as directed by the manufacturer and the charging system was in proper operating condition. When these go, I will replace with another Optima. How I will modify the battery tray will be addressed when that happens. JMO Ken

42guy    -- 03-04-2011 @ 8:17 PM
  I have an Interstate battery in mine and it's about 5 years old.
No problem with leakage or corrosion and it cost $52. I did have a NAPA battery that only lasted 2 years.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=598