LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / NAPA Thermostat

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: NAPA Thermostat -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

Steves46
01-10-2010 @ 2:41 PM

Even here in Florida, my 46 is running way too cool without them. Since I understand the NAPA thermostats seem to be the best suited, does anyone have the P/N? Thanks.

37RAGTOPMAN
01-10-2010 @ 4:05 PM
Senior

steve46
I put a NAPA thermostat in a 4 cylinder Jeep F HEAD,and ALL it did was stick and almost overheat the engine,. it seemed to also most overheat then pop open, but one day the coolant blew all over,when I was plowing snow, so out came that piece of Junk.
try finding some NOS STOCK, or give THE V8 SHOP a call or JOBLOT in NY,or LITTLE DEARBORN,
THEY be a better way to go,they are always on e-bay
just my 2 cents,37RAGTOPMAN

Steves46
01-10-2010 @ 4:10 PM

Thank you; I will give them a call and keep an eye on E-Bay.

Stroker
01-10-2010 @ 4:34 PM
Senior

If all else fails, an old trick we used in the 50's in "Sunny So.Cal." was to install a fender washer the same diameter as the ID on the stat, with a 3/8" hole. The dual pumps on flatmotors will often pump so fast that the water doesn't have time to lose heat going through the radiator. The fender washer slows the coolant flow down to allow this to take place. Another (although "draconian") trick was to drill a 1/4" hole in each water pump impeller blade for the same reason.

ford38v8
01-10-2010 @ 5:34 PM
Senior

Stroker, now you've opened up a real can of worms!
I'm afraid, though, that the vast majority of guys these days will team up against that old opinion. The fender washer doesn't do any harm, but neither does it do any good, as the water will have shed as much heat as it gained in the same amount of time in the block. The holes in the water pumps were devised as a horsepower conservation measure in the oval track days.

The function of the thermostat is to regulate the temperature. In most cases, it will open and remain open, but in extreme temperatures, a two or three square foot section of cardboard in front of the radiator will help the situation.

Alan

Alan

Steves46
01-10-2010 @ 6:24 PM

Didn't mean to open a can of worms for I know this has been a "popular" topic over the years. Just finished rigging a 18 in wide x 10 in high piece of cardboard and placed it against the lower part of the radiator. Fired her up and within less than 10 minutes my mechanical gauges were reading 160. Much improvement! Thanks.

40fordor
01-10-2010 @ 7:32 PM

37RAGTOPMAN,
I was on another forum and read that thermostats placed in old F head Jeeps needed a small weep hole drilled in them (if not already there) to allow just a little flow through it to prevent the problem that you described. It has been since the 50's that I was around those Jeeps but I had great fun with them. Check out a Jeep forum to verify what I read.
Don

51f1
01-11-2010 @ 12:33 AM
Senior

Why are NAPA thermostats best suited? All brands are probably made in China and all brands are subject to failure. Go to any reputable parts dealer and buy your thermostats (NAPA will do just fine).

Why do you leave out the thermostat? The thermostat serves the purpose of regulating your coolant temperature and accelerating warm-up. Leaving it out makes no sense. The guys who designed your engine knew what they were doing. If your engine doesn't cool with a thermostat in it, find out why and fix the problem.

Richard

Stroker
01-11-2010 @ 6:06 AM
Senior

All:

Sorry about the worms. I believe Alan's response to my fender washer recollection is probably spot-on. After further thought, I think the fender washer trick was designed to mitigate the problems we created by throwing the thermostats away, wrongly assuming that they were the cause of heating problems. I'll plead CRS, and go apply for my "Geezer Plate" at the Auto Dept.

37RAGTOPMAN
01-11-2010 @ 8:41 AM
Senior

40fordor
When , I had that problem, of overheating in a middle of a snow storm, I removed the NAPA thermostat and looked at it, boy did in look familar,
I went into my shop and had a few new 49-53 FORD FLATHEAD thermostats, and matched it up, it was a exact fit,same thermostat fit many many different make of cars,for years, not like today,,,,
it was a 155 degree and it works perfect, a little less heat ,BUT ,I can live with it,
I stay away from a lot of NAPA parts,
most of them are made in CHINA,
ever use a reman alternator, or starter,from NAPA,
these are terrible, and not a warranty
I can go to AUTOZONE to buy CHINA,at a cheaper price,
its funny the CHINA parts are getting also expensive to buy also, they used to be cheaper,
I think NAPA should have a better quality control,
they should have put a small hole in the thermostat in the first place,,if that what was wrong with it,
I threw it away, what a piece of c----,!
why should the customer have to repair a new part to make it work,
thanks,old JEEPS are fun, mine is a 64 CJ5,
were is the old JEEP WEB SITE,
can you repley to this to let me know,
thanks 37RAGTOPMAN

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org