LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / south wind heater

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: south wind heater -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

drkbp
02-27-2013 @ 10:34 AM

If you use the hot water heater, you will need to use the 180 degree high thermostats. Otherwise, the water won't get hot enough to make the heater work.

I only get 155 degrees in the top tank with the standard thermostats (with 70 degree ambient) idling in the drive. Without thermostats, I can't get but about 140 degrees so I haven't run without stats in years.

I had a '60 Corvair with the seven spark plugs (gasolene heater). That heater could run you out of there.

Ken in Texas

37RAGTOPMAN
02-26-2013 @ 5:25 PM
Senior

In the original FORD EXHAUST heater, the instructions said to remove it for the summer.
just imagine doing this 2 times a year,
hot water heaters took a while for it to heat up, for short trips were useless,and what about a hose exploding and scorching you,VERY RARE, but can happen.
the SOUTH WIND heater,worked great, as long as the very tiny pickup tube,picked up clean fuel and did not clog up,
as far as catching fire,I doubt that,I never heard of that happening, remember that there was just a small amount in the heater chamber at anyone time,
this is very tiny tube and did not hold much gas,
a friend of mine years ago had a 41 CHEVY with a SOUTHWIND in it,
talk about a heater,it was instant,
there was not much to go wrong with them,they had what worked like a glow plug to ignite the fuel.
you pulled the knob out this started the vacuum to flow and draw the gas though the line and ignite the fuel and the heater started to get hot,at the same time the heater fan turned on,and blew the heat out,
the exhaust from the heater went back to the intake,
a very simple and worked well,
you could even hook up to defroster vents,
they intalled these in aircraft,if these were no good,you think they would do that,?
also VW,CORVAIR, used a more modern unit in the 1960's and 1970,s
I installed one in a car, and used it for years.
but if you want heat or you want to show,
that is the QUESTION,
if for show, stay away from any heater,
everybody will have a different opinon
and if you do have full paper work that it indeed is correct for your car, documented fully,,,,!!!!
in my car, I hardly drive in very cold weather,if I do I roll up the windows,
and never bothered to install any heater,if I do it is not for a long trip,
my 3 cents 37RAGTOPMAN

Stroker
02-26-2013 @ 3:32 PM
Senior

Dso72:

bbrust's photo illustrates the great option you have of mounting it towards the right
side of the firewall. On my 38, the battery box precluded that, and the radio box required
forming a "notch-like dent" in the housing to clear as well. I have no idea of the relative
points deduction between a hot water heater and a South Wind, but either is preferable to the
original exhaust heat-exchanger. If someone would build a proper exhaust heater, using the
same technology (read materials) that are used in virtually all light aircraft heaters, we'd have a choice. Because there are so few of us that own pre-1939 vehicles, and given the current "litigious" society in which we live, this will never happen. If I could purchase
an exhaust heater for my 38 that was properly constructed out of stainless steel, I would in a heartbeat. In the meantime, we have our South Winds!

bbrust
02-26-2013 @ 1:03 PM

Dso72 - Here is a picture of the Southwind heater in my 35 Fordor back when I first brought it home.

This message was edited by bbrust on 2-26-13 @ 1:05 PM

dso72
02-26-2013 @ 12:33 PM

drkbp, I do have a radio in the car. I purchased the car from the original owner and it has been of the road since 1956. The radio in the car is a 36 according the the early v8 book (bottom left pg 117). The car also has an oval rear view mirror. According to the pink slip, it was made in May and sold in June 1935.
40 Coupe, thank you for clarifying the point deduction for a judged event.
It would be nice to have heat in the car. Isn't it better to have a Southwind heater than a hot water heater? Would the point deductions be the same?

Thank you for all the help!!

40 Coupe
02-26-2013 @ 5:17 AM
Senior

dso: You will get points removed on the show field for a South wind heater. I had one in a 40 I drove every day back in the late 60's and they do work VERY well. On the show field only Ford approved accessories receive no point deduction. The South wind was never a Ford approved accessory. The less accessories on your car, the less the chance there will be a point deducted for one of them.

supereal
02-25-2013 @ 7:24 PM
Senior

I've installed Southwind heaters, which were popular many years ago in cold climates because there was instant heat when the knob was pulled. It required drilling a hole in the carb bowl to insert the fuel line without affecting the float. Igniting the fuel was unique, and required service. Very few survived when hot water heaters became more efficient. They eventually suffered the same fate as the old exhaust manifold type, and disappeared from the marketplace.

drkbp
02-25-2013 @ 6:44 PM

dso72,

Do you have the radio in there? I have a '35 Cab also. There was a Southwind in mine and I too have a NOS one. But after filling the holes, just couldn't make myself install it. Gas fire inside the car.

I don't have my radio mounted in the car right now but it sure seems that it would be tight under there. Must have been under the radio box.

Ken

dso72
02-25-2013 @ 3:53 PM

Thanks Stroker. To find a complete factory manifold style heater is pretty tough. I thought the Southwind would be a period correct piece for the car compared to a hot water heater. For judging purposes, will I get dinged for it?
The engine is out of the car and the interior too. That should make installation a bit easier. I'm trying to get it together for the jubilee at Lake Tahoe.

Stroker
02-25-2013 @ 3:19 PM
Senior

You do realize that the Southwind is not an original item? Having said that, you have some options on a 36 given that you don't have the darned battery box in the way like 37. I'd make sure you place it so that the gearshift doesn't contact the main control switch in second gear, as that is a distracting issue whilst driving. Just to the right of centerline should allow the plumbing to clear the fuel pump stand. Remember...It's a lot easier to drill holes in your firewall than it is to fill them, and the Southwind requires a pretty bit "slot". They work great however, and they WILL keep you toasty!

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org