Topic: south wind heater

dso72    -- 02-25-2013 @ 12:50 PM
  I recently purchased a NOS heater for my 35 cabriolet. Is there an ideal spot to mount it? Can anyone send a picture or two of the unit mounted in their car?
Thanks.

Stroker    -- 02-25-2013 @ 3:19 PM
  You do realize that the Southwind is not an original item? Having said that, you have some options on a 36 given that you don't have the darned battery box in the way like 37. I'd make sure you place it so that the gearshift doesn't contact the main control switch in second gear, as that is a distracting issue whilst driving. Just to the right of centerline should allow the plumbing to clear the fuel pump stand. Remember...It's a lot easier to drill holes in your firewall than it is to fill them, and the Southwind requires a pretty bit "slot". They work great however, and they WILL keep you toasty!

dso72    -- 02-25-2013 @ 3:53 PM
  Thanks Stroker. To find a complete factory manifold style heater is pretty tough. I thought the Southwind would be a period correct piece for the car compared to a hot water heater. For judging purposes, will I get dinged for it?
The engine is out of the car and the interior too. That should make installation a bit easier. I'm trying to get it together for the jubilee at Lake Tahoe.

drkbp    -- 02-25-2013 @ 6:44 PM
  dso72,

Do you have the radio in there? I have a '35 Cab also. There was a Southwind in mine and I too have a NOS one. But after filling the holes, just couldn't make myself install it. Gas fire inside the car.

I don't have my radio mounted in the car right now but it sure seems that it would be tight under there. Must have been under the radio box.

Ken

supereal    -- 02-25-2013 @ 7:24 PM
  I've installed Southwind heaters, which were popular many years ago in cold climates because there was instant heat when the knob was pulled. It required drilling a hole in the carb bowl to insert the fuel line without affecting the float. Igniting the fuel was unique, and required service. Very few survived when hot water heaters became more efficient. They eventually suffered the same fate as the old exhaust manifold type, and disappeared from the marketplace.

40 Coupe    -- 02-26-2013 @ 5:17 AM
  dso: You will get points removed on the show field for a South wind heater. I had one in a 40 I drove every day back in the late 60's and they do work VERY well. On the show field only Ford approved accessories receive no point deduction. The South wind was never a Ford approved accessory. The less accessories on your car, the less the chance there will be a point deducted for one of them.

dso72    -- 02-26-2013 @ 12:33 PM
  drkbp, I do have a radio in the car. I purchased the car from the original owner and it has been of the road since 1956. The radio in the car is a 36 according the the early v8 book (bottom left pg 117). The car also has an oval rear view mirror. According to the pink slip, it was made in May and sold in June 1935.
40 Coupe, thank you for clarifying the point deduction for a judged event.
It would be nice to have heat in the car. Isn't it better to have a Southwind heater than a hot water heater? Would the point deductions be the same?

Thank you for all the help!!

bbrust    -- 02-26-2013 @ 1:03 PM
  Dso72 - Here is a picture of the Southwind heater in my 35 Fordor back when I first brought it home.

This message was edited by bbrust on 2-26-13 @ 1:05 PM

Stroker    -- 02-26-2013 @ 3:32 PM
  Dso72:

bbrust's photo illustrates the great option you have of mounting it towards the right
side of the firewall. On my 38, the battery box precluded that, and the radio box required
forming a "notch-like dent" in the housing to clear as well. I have no idea of the relative
points deduction between a hot water heater and a South Wind, but either is preferable to the
original exhaust heat-exchanger. If someone would build a proper exhaust heater, using the
same technology (read materials) that are used in virtually all light aircraft heaters, we'd have a choice. Because there are so few of us that own pre-1939 vehicles, and given the current "litigious" society in which we live, this will never happen. If I could purchase
an exhaust heater for my 38 that was properly constructed out of stainless steel, I would in a heartbeat. In the meantime, we have our South Winds!

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 02-26-2013 @ 5:25 PM
  In the original FORD EXHAUST heater, the instructions said to remove it for the summer.
just imagine doing this 2 times a year,
hot water heaters took a while for it to heat up, for short trips were useless,and what about a hose exploding and scorching you,VERY RARE, but can happen.
the SOUTH WIND heater,worked great, as long as the very tiny pickup tube,picked up clean fuel and did not clog up,
as far as catching fire,I doubt that,I never heard of that happening, remember that there was just a small amount in the heater chamber at anyone time,
this is very tiny tube and did not hold much gas,
a friend of mine years ago had a 41 CHEVY with a SOUTHWIND in it,
talk about a heater,it was instant,
there was not much to go wrong with them,they had what worked like a glow plug to ignite the fuel.
you pulled the knob out this started the vacuum to flow and draw the gas though the line and ignite the fuel and the heater started to get hot,at the same time the heater fan turned on,and blew the heat out,
the exhaust from the heater went back to the intake,
a very simple and worked well,
you could even hook up to defroster vents,
they intalled these in aircraft,if these were no good,you think they would do that,?
also VW,CORVAIR, used a more modern unit in the 1960's and 1970,s
I installed one in a car, and used it for years.
but if you want heat or you want to show,
that is the QUESTION,
if for show, stay away from any heater,
everybody will have a different opinon
and if you do have full paper work that it indeed is correct for your car, documented fully,,,,!!!!
in my car, I hardly drive in very cold weather,if I do I roll up the windows,
and never bothered to install any heater,if I do it is not for a long trip,
my 3 cents 37RAGTOPMAN

drkbp    -- 02-27-2013 @ 10:34 AM
  If you use the hot water heater, you will need to use the 180 degree high thermostats. Otherwise, the water won't get hot enough to make the heater work.

I only get 155 degrees in the top tank with the standard thermostats (with 70 degree ambient) idling in the drive. Without thermostats, I can't get but about 140 degrees so I haven't run without stats in years.

I had a '60 Corvair with the seven spark plugs (gasolene heater). That heater could run you out of there.

Ken in Texas

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5771