LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / BANJO REARS

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: BANJO REARS -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

DEUCEMAN
01-03-2010 @ 3:18 PM

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO DETERMAIN THE YEAR OF A FORD BANJO REAR, '32 THRU '48? AND WHAT ARE THE DIFFERANCES BETWEEN THE VARIOUS YEARS, THE CENTER SECTION AND THE AXEL BELLS. THANKS..

ford38v8
01-03-2010 @ 9:56 PM
Senior

Deuceman, with all due respect, we are here to answer specific questions regarding specific cars. The answer to this question would require research time and effort that you likely don't need. Please tell us what you are looking for, and we can tell you what will fit, or better yet, what is correct for your car, how to identify it, and with gear ratio options available to you.

Alan

37RAGTOPMAN
01-04-2010 @ 7:15 AM
Senior

hi
32 33 34 banjo housing size are alike, and 35 to 48 the banjo housing is the same, but drive shafts and gear ratio's are different,
what exactly do you want to know,
hope this helps
37RAGTOPMAN

42wagon
01-04-2010 @ 7:51 AM
Senior

In addition to what ragtopman has told you there is considerable difference over the years in the axle housings and axles. The big difference occurred when the springs were moved from over the axle to in front of the front axle and in back of the rear axle. This happened in 33 or 34 again in 35. In 41 the axle length changed and again in 42. In 46 a tracking bar was added behind the rear axle and in 48 tubular shocks were added changing how the shocks were attached to the axle. All of these changes would make interchangeabilty between various years difficult.

Again what specifically is it you want to know?
Ted

Stroker
01-04-2010 @ 8:38 AM
Senior

In addition, 32-33 used an open pinion in the center section, whereas all later banjo's had the much stronger "straddle-mount" pinion. Also, the 32-33 differential only has 3-spider gears,
where the later all had 4.

wmsteed
01-04-2010 @ 9:34 AM
Senior

A quick way to indentify the approximate year of a EFV8 rear end is by the radius bars.
If the bar mounts are a perminate part of the axle housing, the rear end is a 32-36.
If the bars are bolted to the axle housing/backing plates and are very long, extending almost the full length of the drive line tube, the rear end is a '37-40.
The '42-48 radius bars will be short, attached to the housing/backing plates and attached midway up the drive line tube.
Another quick indentifier is the brakes.... rods '32-36, cables '37-38, hydraulic, '39-48.
Ratio's are a whole different game. Generally speaking, the ratio will be stamped into the banjo housing below the pinion bearing...There will be three numbers, dividing the first number into the second number will give you the ratio.
The '36 and later center section "Banjo", complete with the "36 and later ring gear will work on any '36-48 axle/axle tube combination, however there are differences in the number of spines on the pinion and differences in the drive shafts.
As a general rule, if you are trying to upgrade the rear end, like a '33-34, stay away from anything earlier than '35.
The rear end under my '36 coupe is the original '36 Ford driveline/banjo with 3.78 gears. The radius bars are '37 and the axles/housings are '47-48 with a '47-48 Columbia.
I think Alan's response was a little "testy". Comments like his can lead people to believe that us Early Ford V8 people are not willing to share information to simple questions..

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

ford38v8
01-04-2010 @ 1:26 PM
Senior

Bill, I'm sorry that I seemed testy to you. I am very willing to share information, but as you can see, not all the pertinent information has yet been provided, and would still require research to be precise. I doubt that the poster needs all these omitted details, such as the 6 spine vs 10 spine drive shaft adapter, or the 16 tooth vs 18 tooth spider gears with axles to match. When he responds with his question in a form in which we can home in on, we can provide the information that he needs.

Alan

DEUCEMAN
01-04-2010 @ 3:54 PM

BILL, THANK YOU FOR THE TIME YOU TOOK TO HELP ME, IT'S APPRECIATED. ALAN, YOU EXEMPLIFY THE TYPE OF PERSON MOST PEOPLE THINK OF WHEN DISCUSSING OLD AUTOS, ARROGANT, AND SELF CENTERED, A GOOD OLD "KNOW IT ALL" WHO LOOKS DOWN ON PEOPLE WHO DON'T KNOW...I HAVE BUILT/RESTORED MANY OLD CARS IN MY YEARS. I THINK I HAVE THE FINEST DEUCE ROASTER YOU COULD WANT. I ALSO HAVE A DEUCE HI BOY HOT ROD WITH A FANTASTIC "FULL HOUSE" FLATHEAD ENGINE,A '39 BOX WITH LINCOLN GEARS I BUILT FROM THE GROUND UP AND IT'S PERFECT AND WILL RUN THE PANTS OFF ANY FLATHEAD YOU EVER SAW OR HAD. I ALSO HAVE A '27 TRACK T WITH A OFFY, YES A 140 OFFY A REAL SHOW STOPPER, AND SEVERAL OTHER #1 AUTOS, NOT FORDS. PLUS 20 OR SO OTHER #1 CARS OVER THE LAST 30 YEARS.
I HAVE 2 "BANJO" REARS, ONE LIKE NEW AND ONE GOOD THAT WOULD NEED A REBUILD. ALL I WAS TRYING TO DO IS TO IDENTIFY THE YEARS OF THESE REARS. I CAN TELL YOU ALL ABOUT THE FLATHEAD ENGINE AND HOW TO GET THE MOST POWER OUT OF THEM, AND THE FORD/LINCOLN TRANS, BUT I'LL ADMIT I'M NOT UP ON THE BANJO REARS. THUS MY INQUIRY. SO PLEASE HELP ME TO IDENTIFY THE 2 REARS I HAVE AND THANK YOU..HAPPY NEW YEAR.

ford38v8
01-04-2010 @ 9:33 PM
Senior

Dueceman, I apologized to Bill for not communicating my message clearly, and I extend my apology to others who deserve it.
To you, however, I'll neither apologize, nor will I spar with you on the fine points of being a rear end, as you've made it quite clear that you are the biggest authority on the subject.
Now I wish for you a Happy New Year, and I'll let you get back to polishing that image.

Alan

Alan
01-05-2010 @ 3:47 AM

You both need to grow up, this forum is to help people not carry on like kids.
Alan.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org