Topic: BANJO REARS

DEUCEMAN    -- 01-03-2010 @ 3:18 PM
  CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO DETERMAIN THE YEAR OF A FORD BANJO REAR, '32 THRU '48? AND WHAT ARE THE DIFFERANCES BETWEEN THE VARIOUS YEARS, THE CENTER SECTION AND THE AXEL BELLS. THANKS..

ford38v8    -- 01-03-2010 @ 9:56 PM
  Deuceman, with all due respect, we are here to answer specific questions regarding specific cars. The answer to this question would require research time and effort that you likely don't need. Please tell us what you are looking for, and we can tell you what will fit, or better yet, what is correct for your car, how to identify it, and with gear ratio options available to you.

Alan

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 01-04-2010 @ 7:15 AM
  hi
32 33 34 banjo housing size are alike, and 35 to 48 the banjo housing is the same, but drive shafts and gear ratio's are different,
what exactly do you want to know,
hope this helps
37RAGTOPMAN

42wagon    -- 01-04-2010 @ 7:51 AM
  In addition to what ragtopman has told you there is considerable difference over the years in the axle housings and axles. The big difference occurred when the springs were moved from over the axle to in front of the front axle and in back of the rear axle. This happened in 33 or 34 again in 35. In 41 the axle length changed and again in 42. In 46 a tracking bar was added behind the rear axle and in 48 tubular shocks were added changing how the shocks were attached to the axle. All of these changes would make interchangeabilty between various years difficult.

Again what specifically is it you want to know?
Ted

Stroker    -- 01-04-2010 @ 8:38 AM
  In addition, 32-33 used an open pinion in the center section, whereas all later banjo's had the much stronger "straddle-mount" pinion. Also, the 32-33 differential only has 3-spider gears,
where the later all had 4.

wmsteed    -- 01-04-2010 @ 9:34 AM
  A quick way to indentify the approximate year of a EFV8 rear end is by the radius bars.
If the bar mounts are a perminate part of the axle housing, the rear end is a 32-36.
If the bars are bolted to the axle housing/backing plates and are very long, extending almost the full length of the drive line tube, the rear end is a '37-40.
The '42-48 radius bars will be short, attached to the housing/backing plates and attached midway up the drive line tube.
Another quick indentifier is the brakes.... rods '32-36, cables '37-38, hydraulic, '39-48.
Ratio's are a whole different game. Generally speaking, the ratio will be stamped into the banjo housing below the pinion bearing...There will be three numbers, dividing the first number into the second number will give you the ratio.
The '36 and later center section "Banjo", complete with the "36 and later ring gear will work on any '36-48 axle/axle tube combination, however there are differences in the number of spines on the pinion and differences in the drive shafts.
As a general rule, if you are trying to upgrade the rear end, like a '33-34, stay away from anything earlier than '35.
The rear end under my '36 coupe is the original '36 Ford driveline/banjo with 3.78 gears. The radius bars are '37 and the axles/housings are '47-48 with a '47-48 Columbia.
I think Alan's response was a little "testy". Comments like his can lead people to believe that us Early Ford V8 people are not willing to share information to simple questions..

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

ford38v8    -- 01-04-2010 @ 1:26 PM
  Bill, I'm sorry that I seemed testy to you. I am very willing to share information, but as you can see, not all the pertinent information has yet been provided, and would still require research to be precise. I doubt that the poster needs all these omitted details, such as the 6 spine vs 10 spine drive shaft adapter, or the 16 tooth vs 18 tooth spider gears with axles to match. When he responds with his question in a form in which we can home in on, we can provide the information that he needs.

Alan

DEUCEMAN    -- 01-04-2010 @ 3:54 PM
  BILL, THANK YOU FOR THE TIME YOU TOOK TO HELP ME, IT'S APPRECIATED. ALAN, YOU EXEMPLIFY THE TYPE OF PERSON MOST PEOPLE THINK OF WHEN DISCUSSING OLD AUTOS, ARROGANT, AND SELF CENTERED, A GOOD OLD "KNOW IT ALL" WHO LOOKS DOWN ON PEOPLE WHO DON'T KNOW...I HAVE BUILT/RESTORED MANY OLD CARS IN MY YEARS. I THINK I HAVE THE FINEST DEUCE ROASTER YOU COULD WANT. I ALSO HAVE A DEUCE HI BOY HOT ROD WITH A FANTASTIC "FULL HOUSE" FLATHEAD ENGINE,A '39 BOX WITH LINCOLN GEARS I BUILT FROM THE GROUND UP AND IT'S PERFECT AND WILL RUN THE PANTS OFF ANY FLATHEAD YOU EVER SAW OR HAD. I ALSO HAVE A '27 TRACK T WITH A OFFY, YES A 140 OFFY A REAL SHOW STOPPER, AND SEVERAL OTHER #1 AUTOS, NOT FORDS. PLUS 20 OR SO OTHER #1 CARS OVER THE LAST 30 YEARS.
I HAVE 2 "BANJO" REARS, ONE LIKE NEW AND ONE GOOD THAT WOULD NEED A REBUILD. ALL I WAS TRYING TO DO IS TO IDENTIFY THE YEARS OF THESE REARS. I CAN TELL YOU ALL ABOUT THE FLATHEAD ENGINE AND HOW TO GET THE MOST POWER OUT OF THEM, AND THE FORD/LINCOLN TRANS, BUT I'LL ADMIT I'M NOT UP ON THE BANJO REARS. THUS MY INQUIRY. SO PLEASE HELP ME TO IDENTIFY THE 2 REARS I HAVE AND THANK YOU..HAPPY NEW YEAR.

ford38v8    -- 01-04-2010 @ 9:33 PM
  Dueceman, I apologized to Bill for not communicating my message clearly, and I extend my apology to others who deserve it.
To you, however, I'll neither apologize, nor will I spar with you on the fine points of being a rear end, as you've made it quite clear that you are the biggest authority on the subject.
Now I wish for you a Happy New Year, and I'll let you get back to polishing that image.

Alan

Alan    -- 01-05-2010 @ 3:47 AM
  You both need to grow up, this forum is to help people not carry on like kids.
Alan.

42wagon    -- 01-05-2010 @ 4:55 AM
  Deuceman
As I look through all the responses I still don't know what you want except a year by year list of all the changes made to the rear axle assembly that would identify the ones you have. That type of list just doesn't exist. I think by now you realize that it is not an easy question to answer given the variations in axle length, spring placement, radius rod arrangement and brakes over the years. We are all here to help you but we need more information. Can you describe the units you have or better yet post pictures of them? That would at least give us someplace to start
Ted

39 Ken    -- 01-05-2010 @ 7:00 AM
  D'Man
Here's a link to something that may be of help.
http://www.flatheadv8.org/fordrear.htm

Stroker    -- 01-05-2010 @ 7:29 AM
  39 Ken: That's a "keeper", thanks for finding it!

DEUCEMAN    -- 01-05-2010 @ 11:27 AM
  TO "39 KEN" AND "STROKER", THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO HELP. AND TO BILL, THANK YOU AGAIN. THE ARTICLE ON IDENTIFYING OLD FORD REARS HELPS ALOT..BEST REGARDS..

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=549