LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / 35/36 trunk handle disassemble

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 35/36 trunk handle disassemble -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

wilmalcolm
11-18-2012 @ 11:58 AM

I have a trunk handle that I want to take a part to have some of the parts re chromed. I do not have the key. Is this a straight forward job once I have a new key made? In a previous post for a different year a responder said to remove the cylinder by turning the key 90 degrees and inserting a pin to release the cylinder. Once the cylinder is out, is the rest of the dis-ssembly straight forward?

supereal
11-18-2012 @ 5:17 PM
Senior

I'm not familiar with yours, but most trunk handles are held to the lid by a large nut on the inside that is threaded on the shank of the handle.

wilmalcolm
11-19-2012 @ 6:05 PM

I really interested in taking the handle apart, it is already off the car. As you can see that the chrome has worn away and the brass is showing underneath. That is what I want to get at so I can re plate it.

Stroker
11-19-2012 @ 7:11 PM
Senior

Wilmalcolm:

I'm really hoping for someone to chime-in, as I have a 38 wagon tailgate handle that is very
similar, and like you I would like to re-plate if I only knew how to "field-strip" it.

wilmalcolm
11-20-2012 @ 6:08 AM

I think it requires that the cylinder be removed, but that requires one to have the key which I don't have. I will take it to a locksmith and have a key made. Maybe that will be a help.

TomO
11-20-2012 @ 8:50 AM
Senior

The locksmith can remove the cylinder or give you instructions on how to remove it.

Tom

supereal
11-20-2012 @ 10:39 AM
Senior

Before I invested in expensive replating, I'd look at the repro handles. I had to replace the NOS handle on my '47 when an idiot rear ended me, and I didn't want to spend the big bucks for another NOS. I bought one from Drake, and it actually looked better that the original, and worked better. They show the 1935-1936 trunk lid handle, which is also shown for the '38-'39 woodie, Dan, as 48-702352-B. C&G shows this item for $37. (800/266-0470). I don't know if Drake still has them, as they seem to havwe trimmed their stock. considerably.

40 Coupe
11-22-2012 @ 3:11 AM
Senior

Some of the handles are made of different materials such as stainless for the handle part, brass for the cylinder riser and stainless again for the circular escutcheon plate. The inside of the handle is made of a mild steel frame that extends down to form the threads for the attachment nut. If you have brass showing I believe the plating was bright Nickle not chrome, but it very well could be chrome. If you have stainless have it polished and don't plate. There are three parts inside the handle. There is the lock cylinder, under that a white metal cylinder shaped riser with a flat steel spring attached to the side, and under that is the square steel lock bolt that protrudes from the side of the handle assembly. All three parts have to come out. If you have the handle chrome plated the inside of the handle can not be plated due to close tolerance. The plater must know the material inside so his acid does not erode it away. The lower steel cup can be removed from the crimping under it and then the escutcheon and the riser can be removed.

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 11-22-12 @ 3:15 AM

supereal
11-22-2012 @ 11:35 AM
Senior

Very little, if any, old Ford trim was plated. Henry preferred "rustless steel" (stainless), which is why so much of it lasted beyond the rest of the vehicle, which was a gift to restorers. You don't fully appreciate it until you get some of today's repros.

G Tosel
11-24-2012 @ 4:17 PM

The photo is all of the parts of the handle. The first step is to remove the lock and lock extension. This will also allow you to remove the lock bolt. Grind the shaft near the cone cover to make it square and allow the cone cover to be removed. Then the brass plate and the brass collar can be removed. Caution that some handles will not allow the brass collar to be removed without taking the rest of the handle apart. Only the brass parts should be chrome plated, I have had a handle that was plated and the plating peeled off and the chemicals caused the inner carbon steel parts to rust and expand the handle. I hope this helps.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org