Topic: 35/36 trunk handle disassemble

wilmalcolm    -- 11-18-2012 @ 11:58 AM
  I have a trunk handle that I want to take a part to have some of the parts re chromed. I do not have the key. Is this a straight forward job once I have a new key made? In a previous post for a different year a responder said to remove the cylinder by turning the key 90 degrees and inserting a pin to release the cylinder. Once the cylinder is out, is the rest of the dis-ssembly straight forward?

supereal    -- 11-18-2012 @ 5:17 PM
  I'm not familiar with yours, but most trunk handles are held to the lid by a large nut on the inside that is threaded on the shank of the handle.

wilmalcolm    -- 11-19-2012 @ 6:05 PM
  I really interested in taking the handle apart, it is already off the car. As you can see that the chrome has worn away and the brass is showing underneath. That is what I want to get at so I can re plate it.

Stroker    -- 11-19-2012 @ 7:11 PM
  Wilmalcolm:

I'm really hoping for someone to chime-in, as I have a 38 wagon tailgate handle that is very
similar, and like you I would like to re-plate if I only knew how to "field-strip" it.

wilmalcolm    -- 11-20-2012 @ 6:08 AM
  I think it requires that the cylinder be removed, but that requires one to have the key which I don't have. I will take it to a locksmith and have a key made. Maybe that will be a help.

TomO    -- 11-20-2012 @ 8:50 AM
  The locksmith can remove the cylinder or give you instructions on how to remove it.

Tom

supereal    -- 11-20-2012 @ 10:39 AM
  Before I invested in expensive replating, I'd look at the repro handles. I had to replace the NOS handle on my '47 when an idiot rear ended me, and I didn't want to spend the big bucks for another NOS. I bought one from Drake, and it actually looked better that the original, and worked better. They show the 1935-1936 trunk lid handle, which is also shown for the '38-'39 woodie, Dan, as 48-702352-B. C&G shows this item for $37. (800/266-0470). I don't know if Drake still has them, as they seem to havwe trimmed their stock. considerably.

40 Coupe    -- 11-22-2012 @ 3:11 AM
  Some of the handles are made of different materials such as stainless for the handle part, brass for the cylinder riser and stainless again for the circular escutcheon plate. The inside of the handle is made of a mild steel frame that extends down to form the threads for the attachment nut. If you have brass showing I believe the plating was bright Nickle not chrome, but it very well could be chrome. If you have stainless have it polished and don't plate. There are three parts inside the handle. There is the lock cylinder, under that a white metal cylinder shaped riser with a flat steel spring attached to the side, and under that is the square steel lock bolt that protrudes from the side of the handle assembly. All three parts have to come out. If you have the handle chrome plated the inside of the handle can not be plated due to close tolerance. The plater must know the material inside so his acid does not erode it away. The lower steel cup can be removed from the crimping under it and then the escutcheon and the riser can be removed.

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 11-22-12 @ 3:15 AM

supereal    -- 11-22-2012 @ 11:35 AM
  Very little, if any, old Ford trim was plated. Henry preferred "rustless steel" (stainless), which is why so much of it lasted beyond the rest of the vehicle, which was a gift to restorers. You don't fully appreciate it until you get some of today's repros.

G Tosel    -- 11-24-2012 @ 4:17 PM
  The photo is all of the parts of the handle. The first step is to remove the lock and lock extension. This will also allow you to remove the lock bolt. Grind the shaft near the cone cover to make it square and allow the cone cover to be removed. Then the brass plate and the brass collar can be removed. Caution that some handles will not allow the brass collar to be removed without taking the rest of the handle apart. Only the brass parts should be chrome plated, I have had a handle that was plated and the plating peeled off and the chemicals caused the inner carbon steel parts to rust and expand the handle. I hope this helps.

G Tosel    -- 11-24-2012 @ 4:19 PM
  Sorry wrong picture sent

Stroker    -- 11-24-2012 @ 4:19 PM
  Gary: Thanks for the breakdown!

Dan

wilmalcolm    -- 12-06-2012 @ 3:31 PM
  Yes, that's my handle. I took it to the locksmith (as I had no key for it) but he was unable to pick the lock so he couldn't make a new key. He was able to disassemble it so the brass collar is free to be plated, but I need a key. This guy seemed to know what he was doing but he just couldn't pick it. Anyone out there know someone who would be able to pick it and make a new key? I also have the same problem with my spare tire lock-no key

trjford8    -- 12-06-2012 @ 7:15 PM
  Go to this website; www.jessersclassickeys.com. This company specializes in keys and locks for antique vehicles. They also advertise in the V-8 Times.

JM    -- 12-13-2012 @ 9:23 AM
  Here is a post on Fordbarn that will give you the names and contact information for two very good locksmiths. My one and only experience with Jesser's was not good and I would never recommend him to anyone else. Other folks may have a different opinion.

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76944&highlight=lock+cylinder

JM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5428