LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Starter Help

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Starter Help -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

bmwillia
05-03-2012 @ 6:44 PM

Hey everyone,

I am trying to get the flathead in my 33 running and I am having a problem right now where the motor will turn over with the plugs out but when the plugs are in, the starter engages and the pulleys budge a little and stop.

I have a new battery that was bought a few weeks ago and freshly charged. All of the connections look clean. I have cleaned the battery terminals and cables although I saw no sign of corrosion.

I will also mention that I have minimal wiring at this point. I have the neg. battery cable to the solenoid, then the starter cable to the other side of the solenoid. I have a wire from the battery side of the solenoid to the resistor/fuse block and then to the coil.

I am getting good voltage to the starter.

Do I need to rebuild or replace it?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Brad Williamson

TomO
05-04-2012 @ 8:28 AM
Senior

You did not say if you have a 12 volt system or a 6 volt system, so my answers are for a 6 volt POS ground system.

Your battery cables must be 6 volt cables (0 or 00 gauge).

The ground connection from the battery must be clean and free of paint.

The grounding connection between the starter end plate and the oil pan must be free of paint.

If you have a volt meter, connect the COM lead to the NEG post of the battery and the + lead of the meter to the lug on the starter. Read the meter while the starter is engaged and trying to turn the motor. The meter should read .5 V maximum. Any higher reading means too much resistance in the circuit. You can move the + lead of the meter to a connection point closer to the battery to isolate the resistance.

The ground circuit can be checked by connecting the + lead of the meter to the POS post of the battery and the COM lead of the meter to the case of the starter. A reading of more than .1 volt means excessive resistance in the ground circuit.

Tom

supereal
05-04-2012 @ 9:54 AM
Senior

It is likely that the starter, itself, is the problem. One or more of the brushes may be stuck in their holder. The commutator may be very dirty, or the bushings badly worn. Look at the pole shoes when you have it apart. If you see evidence of scr*ping, the armature is probably being pulled into the shoes when the starter is activated because the bushings are egg-shaped. Be sure you have a good ground strap between the engine and the battery, and that the face of the starter and the clutch housing is clean and bright.

bmwillia
05-04-2012 @ 6:50 PM

Thanks guys!

I started cleaning up the ground connections this evening.

I tested with a multimeter at the hot post of the starter with it engaged and I am seeing 2v. Well over the.5 Tom said I should have.

I want to try cleaning the grounds before pulling the starter.

Thanks!

Brad Williamson

TomO
05-05-2012 @ 7:33 AM
Senior

The 2 volts that you are seeing is the result of resistance in the circuit from the battery to the starter.

You may have undersized cables or your starter switch could have high resistance. Check by moving the meter probe to the input of the starter switch and take another reading. If it is less than .2 volts then move the meter lead to the output of the switch.

If it is more than .2 volts, your battery cable is undersized or the connections are corroded.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 5-5-12 @ 7:34 AM

bmwillia
05-05-2012 @ 2:55 PM

I pulled the starter and cleaned the face where it connectes to the motor. I have cleaned all of the grounds and have metal on metal at every one.

I put the starter back on the engine connected everything back up and now nothing happens when I hit the solenoid switch. I used to hear the starter engage and the pulleys would move slightly.

I checked voltage with the solenoid engaged and I am now getting .02 volts when the solenoid is engaged.

It seems that the starter is bad. what do you all think?

Thanks

Thanks!

Brad Williamson

TomO
05-06-2012 @ 8:36 AM
Senior

Brad,

Just removing and replacing the starter, should not cause it it fail in this manner.

Did the starter come apart when you removed it? if so, the brushes may not be seated on the commutator.

Check the ground connection of the starter to the oil pan and back to the battery also.

Your Bendix drive could also be jammed into the flywheel.

Tom

supereal
05-06-2012 @ 8:52 AM
Senior

If you don't hear the solenoid click when you push the starter button, start (no pun) there. To eliminate that as a cause, run a jumper directly from the battery hot side to the starter input terminal. Just be sure that the car is out of gear, and the ignition is off. If the starter turns the engine over, it is OK. If not, either order a replacement, or rebuild it, if you know how.

bmwillia
05-06-2012 @ 3:30 PM

Ok..

I took the starter back off and apart. I must have had the brushes jammed up or something because it is back to doing what it was before.

I think that my battery cables and switch to starter cable may be too small. Some guys over at the fordbarn.com suggested that the battery cables should be at least single 0 or 00 guage.

Thanks for the input guys! I am slowly working through this.

Thanks!

Brad Williamson

bmwillia
05-06-2012 @ 6:10 PM

Super,

I tried your suggestion and got nothing. I heard a click in the starter, but I didn't get any movement.

Looks like it is time for a new starter.

Thanks!

Brad Williamson

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org