LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Something you don't see every day

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Something you don't see every day -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

deuce_roadster
03-29-2012 @ 1:52 PM

A few years ago I bought a 40 Std coupe that the previous owner bought in 1957 and put in his garage in '58 and was there until I bought it. He amassed a huge number of parts for it but never got around to working on it. One of the things he picked up was a brand new in the crate 59A engine that from the markings on the crate was made in 1953. This isn't a wartime engine like the ones I think Dennis Carpenter has or had. Here is what I find unusual about the motor. Besides being a 59 series block from 1953, the engine has cap screws holding the mains, 8BA rods and a 1BA crankshaft.

deuce_roadster
03-29-2012 @ 1:54 PM

Sorry, I hit the wrong button.... Also this engine has an aluminum timing gear on the cam. I will attach 2 pictures of the crate which is pretty cool.

deuce_roadster
03-29-2012 @ 1:56 PM

End of crate. I disassembled the engine and am hot tanking it to get the gunky stuff off of it but it is a virgin 3 3/16 bore engine which will find its way into the coupe it was bought for. Note "1953"

Stroker
03-29-2012 @ 3:32 PM
Senior

deuce roadster:

That is really great! In the late fifties I scored a 53 Merc crank in its' box at the local
(Pomona CA) Ford dealership. It still lives, albeit now stroked .125", in one of my motors.

I have found lot's of stuff I needed in the 50's and 60's scrounging rural Ford dealerships. Particularly good hunting grounds were in San Luis Obispo and Kern county, as they had lots-o
farm-oriented dealers who's customer base consisted of people like me with "old stuff", so they
tended to keep things that the higher-volume city dealers did not, and they were far enough removed from the SoCal Hot Rod movement to escape their "pickings". I only paid $50.00 for that
Merc crank, so obviously they wanted to "move it".

Having said this, the next source for increasing rare NOS stuff was Hemmings in the 70's. As
most of us are aware, Hemmings today; while a good read, is not a great resource. Our trusted
suppliers like Drake, Carpenter, CG, etc. only offer reproduction stuff, which is a nice option, but since much comes from off-shore,is of dubious quality.

Has anyone ever considered a NOS-only EV8 parts site? That would be "nirvana" for many of us.

deuce_roadster
03-29-2012 @ 3:55 PM

Stroker--Yeah, those were the days!! I don't know how this engine got up here (Seattle area) but inside the crate was evidence it came from a Ford dealer somewhere in Texas originally. I think it was purchased in the late 50s though. Like your $50 new Merc crank!

I like your idea of a NOS Only shopping site!

Was the crank wrapped in paper that looked like it was oil soaked? This engine had paper like this tucked all around it and it amazingly protected it all these years. The "oil" however was on its way to becoming tar.

Stroker
03-29-2012 @ 5:20 PM
Senior

Well, that was a LONG time ago, but as I remember, the parts counterman placed a heavy-duty
cardboard box with a Mercury logo on the counter and lifted the top off. I don't recall the heavy oiled paper, but I do remember it was coated in what I would call Cosmolene, and I believe
it had some wooden blocking to support the mains inside. Again, it's been many years. I would have never found it had I not known the parts man, and he knew I was building a large motor.
Helps to communicate!

trjford8
03-29-2012 @ 7:56 PM
Senior

For those looking for NOS parts there are a couple of sources. Louis Cote' in Fallon , Nevada has a ton of NOS parts and is a V-8 Club member. On my way to St. George , Utah I broke a passenger door latch in my 40. I was in Fallon and called Louis and he brought me a NOS latch. He only carries good used Ford stuff and NOPS parts. The other source is Stacy Brown in Arlington, Texas. He has NOS and NOSR(new old stock replacement)parts.To my knowledge he does not have any foreign made parts. Bill McGrath at the Early Ford Store in San Dimas, Ca. also has a lot of good used and NOS parts.
I should add that All Ford Parts in Campbell, Ca, also has a lot of NOS parts in additionn to their repo stuff.

supereal
03-29-2012 @ 9:01 PM
Senior

It is more likely that the engine is either a factory rebuilt, or more probably, someone assembled an engine from 8BA parts and put it in a crate that once held a 59A rebuilt. The last 59A new engines were built in 1948. The tipoff is the later rods, etc. These things surface now and then. From your description, it isn't a new engine found in an old dealership. We have been offered similar deals, from time to time.

deuce_roadster
03-30-2012 @ 7:34 AM

Super, it is definitely all new parts. Cylinders mic 3 3/16 no taper. It is a 59 series block not a bored out 3 1/16 block. If it is a factory rebuild, they used a new block rods and crank. All bearings are STD. My engine machinist (davetatom.com)is convinced it is new and he has built many hundreds of flatheads.
I am going to swap out the crank for a Merc and go with 3 3/16 Ross pistons so I can use modern rings but I'm NOT going to bore any of the life out of it just to increase power.
Dave said he has seen the aluminum timing gear on a few new industrial motors, it might be one of those.

supereal
03-30-2012 @ 10:30 AM
Senior

A "factory rebuild" 59A likely wouldn't replace the original floating rod bearings with the later insert type, and both aluminum and fiber timing gears are widely available. You state the the engine is "brand new, in the crate". I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but assuming that is is a "virgin 59 series block from 1953" is a tough sell.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org