LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Request for comment - new member

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Request for comment - new member -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

stevenwham
02-12-2012 @ 12:37 PM

Hello folks .. I'm a new member (in my USAF days I would be referred to as a "green bean"). I'm trying to figure out what I have. I recently bought a 35 five window coupe off Ebay. Of course, it was to some extent mis-represented. Nevertheless, it is a cosmetic beauty, with over $120k in documented restoration receipts with the work accomplished through the spring of 2011. THE PROBLEM: the engine was "cleaned and reassembled" with functional parts but was not "restored" or "rebuilt" with the result being that the engine DOES NOT HOLD OIL PRESSURE. Why in the world the owner/restorer would spend all this $ without installing a sound engine is beyond me. My cost is $30k and I'm trying to figure out what to do next. So, I would appreciate your comments on the market value of this vehicle "as is" and on what I should expect to spend to have the engine rebuilt to make it a meaningful "classic". There are 12 miles on the engine post-reassembly. Thanks!

TonyM
02-12-2012 @ 1:00 PM

Welcome.

Nice looking car.

TM

flathead4rd
02-12-2012 @ 4:16 PM

Could you be a little more specific about not holding oil pressure. Have you put a mechanical oil gauge on it to check for accuracy? What weight oil are you using? Lots of flatheads idle a less than 10 psi oil pressure, especially when hot.

ford38v8
02-12-2012 @ 5:45 PM
Senior

I agree. If the pressure n eedle moves at all while at slow idle, the engine will ber happy. Anything over 20 lbs at 25 mph is good.

Alan

Old Henry
02-12-2012 @ 7:51 PM
Senior

I agree with Alan. After having my engine rebuilt by one of the best in the country the oil pressure still reads low. He said mechanical gauge read normal. Could just be my gauge or sender. I've decided pressure is not as important as flow and figure if any pressure shows I've got oil flowing through and don't worry too much about pressure. I've put 20,000 miles on the engine with the gauge showing low oil pressure without any problems. I wouldn't worry too much about that. Certainly not consider rebuilding the engine again just for that.

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

trjford8
02-12-2012 @ 8:24 PM
Senior

As others have said check the pressure with a mechanical gauge. Spending 120K on a restoration without rebuilding the motor tells me the previous owner had more money than horse sense. I suspect all he wanted to do was show the car and not drive it. There are those folks out there who trailer their cars to every show and don't drive them.
It's a great looking 35 and $30,00K for a restored car is not out of line on price. Nice paint jobs today are $6000-8000. Upholstery is $5000-7000. Add in bodywork, tires, radiator, clean up of the running gear, and other miscellaneous parts, etc. you will spend another $7000-9000. Now add the purchase price of the original car prior to restoration and you easily get to $30,000.
If you have to rebuild the flathead you will probably spend $5000-6000. If it's an original 35 motor you will have to have the main bearings poured by a shop experienced in building older motors. Again, recheck the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge and get back to us with the results. You may get lucky and not have to do anything but drive and enjoy your new treasure.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 2-12-12 @ 8:25 PM

TomO
02-13-2012 @ 7:24 AM
Senior

Your car is very nice and well worth the money to rebuild the engine if necessary. I agree with the other posts that you get a mechanical gauge to check the oil pressure and post the readings here.

Tom

stevenwham
02-13-2012 @ 5:57 PM

Thanks for all these comments .. I really appreciate the thoughts and advice. I will definitely get the mechanical oil pressure check soon. I drove the car today (for the second time) and noted the following: cold start with temperature around 40 F, the oil pressure read about 18-20. As the engine warmed up the temp dropped to 10-12 and continued to drop while driving around at about 30 mph, eventually settling around 5 (at 30 mph). At idle and relatively warm, the pressure dropped to 2 or so. New gauges. I'll get the mechanical check and report back. Thanks again for your comments.

TomO
02-15-2012 @ 9:05 AM
Senior

Steve, try removing the sending unit and cleaning the threads on it and in the block. The sending unit needs a good ground in order to give an accurate reading.

You may have an 80# sending unit with a 50#oil pump. The sending unit should have 50 stamped on the brass fitting. If the 80# unit is installed, your readings would be normal with 10w30 oil.

The 50# sending units are getting hard to find.

Most of us use 20w 50 oil or straight 30 weight oil.

Tom

stevenwham
02-15-2012 @ 4:49 PM

Thanks for your comments, Tom .. and others .. I'll do some evaluation this weekend.

Steve

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org