LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / 38 Ford intake manifold

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 38 Ford intake manifold -- page: 1 2 3 4

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

supereal
12-06-2009 @ 10:39 AM
Senior

Maybe I've figured it out. I'll try it again.

supereal
12-06-2009 @ 10:32 AM
Senior

I have a pic of the one I have that I can e-mail to you. I still haven't mastered posting here.

42ford
12-06-2009 @ 9:59 AM

Can someone post a pic of the alum manifold?
I just might have an extra
Thanks
Dick

supereal
12-06-2009 @ 8:25 AM
Senior

The manifolds are out there. I bought one a couple of years ago at a swap meet to get the carb and linkage. There is no number on it anywhere, but it has a high carb mount, which I assume makes it a 37-39 piece.

Stroker
12-06-2009 @ 6:50 AM
Senior

Thank You! I've enjoyed the discussion, and I believe some of the answers merit being pasted in my new
38-39 Book when it arrives. I agree that Gary leaves some things to our interpretation. What I
respect is that he doesn't re-write history or speculate. I also want to specifically thank Alan for
giving me more column width to ramble in by bringing the little "dart" in the lower right corner to my
attention. Now I just need to find an appropriate aluminum manifold. Thanks Again!

ford38v8
12-05-2009 @ 10:28 AM
Senior

Tom, One very good thing about Gary Mallast as an Author is that he
reports what he can verify, and draws no hard & fast conclusions from
his
research. He maintains this attitude throughout his books, which
maddens
some, as a definite answer is not to be found, but rather, the reader is
left
to muddle through the various Ford documents he has reported. In this
way, Gary can not be faulted for reporting information since to be
found
in error. I applaud his self control in this as a researcher, rather than to
appoint himself Judge & Jury.

It is interesting to have this debate at this late date on the mix of
21/24
stud engines, as I would have thought the issue had long ago been put
to
bed. Surprisingly though, from his research, it seems that the question
remains without resolve. As the serial number of an
engine/transmission
assembly appears on the transmission only, engines could be swapped
without consequence at any time for these past 71+ years, so
observations on the Concourse are speculation at best. Below, you will
find a listing of pages containing evidence to support both yours and
my
opinions. When all evidence is taken together, I believe you will agree
with
my interpretation.

Page 4-33 E. Engine 1. Block
Page 8-2 B. Engine Numbers 1. 85 H.P. Engine Numbers
Page 6-2 B. Canadian variations

Not reported in the book, but from assumption, I believe that service
replacement engines would not have been mated with transmissions,
therefore would have no serial number, nor would other industrial uses
for the engine. (This would support the use of the September serial
numbers
in cars. All numbers authorized for 21 stud engines were assigned but
for
3393 engines, the last number used being in September.)

Alan

This message was edited by ford38v8 on 12-5-09 @ 10:31 AM

trjford8
12-05-2009 @ 7:59 AM
Senior

Al, the book does say that the 21 stud motor was produced through 10-4-38. Those motors were used for industrial use and for service replacement(for those early cars 32-37). I don't see anywhere in the book that says they continued to use the 21 stud motors in passenger cars until the supply was used up (wouldn't there have been a factory letter telling the assembly plants to use up the remaining 21 stud motors in the passenger cars?). It simply states that as of 12-7-37 ,the 24 stud motor was 100% of new vehicle production.
Many of those 21 stud motors and transmissions that were produced went overseas(England, Australia,etc) or to Canada and would have had a production number when shipped. Many of the NOS 21 stud motors that showed up in the 70's came from Canada and England.

ford38v8
12-04-2009 @ 11:08 PM
Senior

Tom, with all due respect, I must disagree with your interpretation of the facts
found in the 38-39 Book. While it does say that 24 stud engines were of 100%
production in December 1937, that only means that no more 21 stud engines
were to be cast for car production. In fact, and as also reported in the same
book, 21 stud engine/transmission assemblies carried serial numbers up to
mid September of 1938.

It must be understood that an engine/transmission assembly did not receive
a serial number until it passed the engine break-in testing. This could
represent quite a delay from casting to serial number. The end result is that
21 and 24 stud engines were mixed in production at the assembly line.

Stroker, you don't need to justify your 24 stud engine. A cast iron manifold,
however, should have documentation to avoid a Concourse point penalty.

Alan

trjford8
12-04-2009 @ 5:50 PM
Senior

Stroker, according to the 38-39 book the 38 passenger cars had 24 stud motors beginning Dec. 7, 1937.The 21 stud motors were then used as service replacement motors and for industrial use through 10-4-38.
The book does state that passengers cars used the aluminum intake manifold.The cast iron manifold was used on trucks, but it could be ordered through the Ford parts and placed on a passenger car. Technically the woodie was considered a commercial vehicle, so I think either manifold could be correct.My information comes from page 4-32 and page 4-37 of the 38-39 book.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 12-4-09 @ 5:52 PM

Stroker
12-04-2009 @ 4:52 PM
Senior

Alan:

Fortunately, I still have the original dealer bill of
sale, and the car was assembled in Long Beach, CA. I'll
see if there is anything that might justify a 24 stud. I
do believe that an aluminum manifold is correct. I don't
have one, so I will probably put it on a parts wanted
post. Thanks!

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3 4

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org