LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / NEWBY to discussion correct oil for 1940 v-8

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: NEWBY to discussion correct oil for 1940 v-8

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

garyordway
10-31-2011 @ 1:05 PM

Which oil type should I use in a 1940 ford flathead v-8? New to old cars and the V-8 club forum - thanks for patience with this Newby-

kubes40
10-31-2011 @ 1:12 PM
Senior

More information is needed to provide a good answer to your question.
Is the engine rebuilt?
Do you know what brand was used in it before you acquired the vehicle?
What type of driving are you most likely going to do? City? Highway?
Climate the vehicle will be used in?

alanwoodieman
10-31-2011 @ 3:39 PM
Senior

if you live in a cold climate 10W30 or 10W40, if you live in a warm climate 20W50 works the best. Stay away from synthetic oil-you will have leaks that you never knew could happen. I use a zinc rich oil 20W50 Kendal and I live is SC.

51f1
10-31-2011 @ 5:12 PM
Senior

Everyone has an opinion on which oil to use. And it's just that - an opinion. Any good brand of oil will work. Choose the weight that Henry recommended unless the engine is old and worn. In that case, go for a heavier weight.

Richard

ford38v8
10-31-2011 @ 7:37 PM
Senior

And yet another opinion here: Modern technology has brought us some excellent choices in oil. Multi-grade, Detergent, wear additive packages in the better oil, and in my opinion, Synthetic oil should also be considered. I have no excessive oil leaks as some say will happen, but even if I did, that would only indicate that Synthetic is better able to get to places it is needed.

Synthetic or not, no big deal, just don't cheapie down on oil, and change it often. As for additives, the top grade oils have all you need for a stock flathead. If we had the early GM overheads, or the later musclecars, a Zink additive would be a good thing, but it's not needed for a Ford Flathead.

Do consider using a few ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil in your gas tank, though. Our corn gas of modern times raises h*ll with the fuel system and varnishes our valves. MMM protects your fuel system from the rust that comes with the new gas, and helps prevent sticky varnished valves.

Alan

supereal
10-31-2011 @ 8:13 PM
Senior

We don't guarantee rebuilt engines if full synthetic is used against oil leaks, as primitive seals usually don't hold it well, and if used before breakin is complete, you run the risk that that piston rings won't fully seat. Synthetic is great in newer vehicles, and extends drain intervals. That said, six bucks a quart is pricey, and will buy lots of name brand conventional oil for more frequent changes, a very good practice in old engines.

TomO
11-01-2011 @ 7:16 AM
Senior

Modern oils are much better than the oils available in 1940. Use any major brand oil.

If you use a multi viscosity oil, use 20w-40 or heavier. If you want to use a single viscosity oil use 30W or 40W.

In any case, change your oil frequently, every 3 months or 1,000 miles, whichever comes first.

The oil in the antique cars gets contaminated from combustion products sooner than modern cars, due to the larger clearances. Another source of contamination is the very inefficient carburetor.

Tom

garyordway
11-01-2011 @ 9:01 AM

Wow - thanks everyone for feedback. This car had engine rebuild in 1985 and has been in long term storage since. I live in PNW and will be a Sunday driver around town. I believe the guy used 30W - nothing special.

Thanks again - I'm glad I signed up to this forum, very helpful for a rookie.

51f1
11-01-2011 @ 11:38 AM
Senior

I used synthetic oil in my 8RT for two years after I rebuilt it, and I didn't notice any excessive oil leaks (a few drips from the rear seal, which I consider normal). I switched to non-synthetic because I don't see any advantage to using synthetic in an old engine.

Richard

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org