LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Clutch replacment

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Clutch replacment

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

supereal
10-31-2011 @ 7:59 AM
Senior

The amount of pedal free play can be a sign of several problems. Of course, adjustment of the release linkage is obvious, but we have encountered vehicles with the wrong lever on the release shaft, probably due to a junkyard swap long ago. It is possible, but unlikely that the clutch disk is worn out enough to cause your problem. It is more likely that the pressure plate has weak springs, or the surface is burnt and scored. We have also seen egg-shaped holes in the clutch release shaft where the lever and fork are pinned, and sloppy release shaft bushings. You won't know until the clutch is removed and the above checked.

This message was edited by supereal on 10-31-11 @ 2:59 PM

FFracer
10-30-2011 @ 8:30 AM

Yesterday I drive the car about 30 miles 40-55 Mph up small hills and down went to a car show, never had any issue with clutch slip so I think that maybe I will just ignore it until it does become a problem. Not like this is my ride to work

Thanks for your advice and input.

Chris

shogun1940
10-28-2011 @ 7:45 PM

you should only have 3/4 of an inch free play, I would get that adjusted first, then if the clutch does not slip in third gear going up a hill I would leave it alone

40cpe
10-28-2011 @ 6:25 PM

I would have to agree with you that given you have free play at the top and a high engagement, your disc is thin. I also agree with your decision not to tear into it until it slips, that could be a long time.

FFracer
10-28-2011 @ 5:42 PM

no slipping, i have about 2" of free play. maybe this is just the way it is??? I have nothing to compare the "Feel" too. I agree with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality. So leave it until it does start slipping.

Again thank you,
Chris

Stroker
10-28-2011 @ 3:29 PM
Senior

Chris:

Given your dad's mechanical skills, I'd tend to agree. If the clutch isn't slipping in high gear
on a hill, I believe I'd simply adjust the clevis on the left side of the transmission "bell" to
give you the free-play you should have. If after doing that, the clutch doesn't fully disengage,
then a disc replacement may be necessary. The idea of an adjustable clevis was to accommodate normal
clutch disc wear. It's only when that just "doesn't do it" that you need to dig deeper.

Dan

This message was edited by Stroker on 10-28-11 @ 3:32 PM

FFracer
10-28-2011 @ 3:16 PM

This is what is killin' me, this was my Dad's car, we rebuilt it together way back when. Then he decided to do the motor (H&H rebuild) I just cannot believe he would not replace the disc, T.O. and pressure plate! He has since passed so now it's my pride & joy.
I did some digging and dropping the rear axle back does appear to be the way to go.
So does my diagnosis sound right, high pedal engagement is a worn-out disc??

Thanks I really appreciate your input.

Chris

Stroker
10-28-2011 @ 3:04 PM
Senior

FFracer:

Actually, you have a choice of either pulling the engine (pretty easy on a 33), or pulling
the rear end (also not that difficult). Unless you have engine issues that would encourage you to go the engine route, I'd opt for pulling the rear, since you won't have to drain any vital fluids, or break any fluid connections.

You will need to disconnect your rear brake linkage, remove the two U-bolts holding the spring in place at the center and raise the rear of the car enough for the rear spring to drop out of the rear cross-member. Disconnect the U-Joint by removing the two-piece cover/
ball socket for the torque tube, and simply roll the axle back a few inches.

Pull the floorboards, tin trans floor cover, disconnect the clutch clevis, and remove the transmission to engine bolts. You will now be able to grab the transmission by the shift lever, and pull it back and up out of the car. This is the perfect time to replace the throw out bearing, while you're at it. Proceed as you would for any clutch replacement on any vehicle.

Caveat: If at any time, the clutch was replaced with an 11-inch "truck clutch", you will have to pull the engine, as the larger diameter pressure plate won't clear the trans/engine opening, and will require pulling the oil pan.

If this was a 32, you'd have to pull the engine, as the rear transmission mount bolts through the cross member. I may be mistaken, but I believe all Model 48's (33-34) used the X-style frame, which allows pulling the trans, without pulling the engine. Model 48 experts: please confirm or condemn my instructions, as I have only worked on Model 18's and
Model 81's.

Stroker
10-28-2011 @ 3:04 PM
Senior

deleted double post.

This message was edited by Stroker on 10-28-11 @ 3:05 PM

FFracer
10-28-2011 @ 1:50 PM

Did a search didn't come up with anything... My pedal is engaging at the very top, now if i remember correctly that is a worn-out disc?
So I have done clutches on several vehicles just not a 1933 Ford Cabriolet with a closed drive shaft. Is it a major job or pretty straight forward I read somewhere it requires engine removal?

Any help is as always appreciated

Chris

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org