LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Tires

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Tires

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

Stroker
10-24-2011 @ 4:18 PM
Senior

j.grif:

The "five on five and a half" refers to: 5 studs, on a 5-1/2 inch bolt circle. Ford used this for many-many years, from the Model T era up until the end of the Flathead era. The exception was 1936-1939, when they used the John Tjaarda-inspired "wide fives". John Tjaarda van Sterkenburg, a Dutch immigrant with exceptional talent for car design was instrumental in the design of the Volkswagen "Beetle", which used a smaller metric version of the same wheel. You have probably noticed some design similarities between mid-thirties Zephyrs, Fords, and Beetles. There is a reason for this, as they came off the same drawing board. In the mid sixties, Pontiac also offered the Wide Five as an option on full size vehicles.

The Wide-Five is very rigid, as most of the side loads are taken by the drum, rather than the wheel disc. For this reason, many sprint cars in the 50's-70's used wide five racing wheels. It's a really good design, but has become sort of obscure in recent years, especially when it comes to 36-39 brake drums, which are not being reproduced to my knowledge.

This message was edited by Stroker on 10-24-11 @ 4:40 PM

j.grif
10-24-2011 @ 9:27 AM

Thanks Charlie,
Not sure what you mean by 5 on 5 1/2 drums. Just a beginner here. But the drums do fit the spokes wheels
and there are no spacers. Could you let me know about the spacers location and size and purpose? Thanks

j.grif
10-24-2011 @ 9:11 AM

Thanks Super and Alan, so when the time comes will check out the condition of the spoked wheels with the tires off. I do have extra 36 drums. Somewhere I saw information that the coupe used to be in West Virginia and we live in Washington state. Has hyd brakes but the master cylinder and pedal was off who knows what and and we replaced that setup. Beginning to get the brakes repaired and adjusted for even stopping. Bought the car on impulse and suffering from nostalgia. Have no info about when the spoke wheels were put on. Lots of work but liking it. Thanks

CharlieStephens
10-24-2011 @ 9:04 AM
Senior

There has got to be a lot more to this story. Did a previous owner convert to hydraulic brakes and use 5 on 5 1/2 drums? If this is the case be sure you use spacers on the drums when you mount the wire wheels. I like the look of the wire wheels and might use them on a driver instead of going to the trouble of finding new brake drums and hubs. I have never heard of there being any problems with the '35 wire wheels. I doubt you could tell any difference in the ride between the two types of wheels. If you have the '36 wheels available I would get them and put them under the bench in case you decide to do a restoration in the future.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 10-24-11 @ 9:08 AM

ford38v8
10-23-2011 @ 11:29 PM
Senior

grif, yes, the '36 wheel is pretty solid, where the '35 spokeys may not be. The bigger question though, is how you wound up with spokies on a '36? I'm not sure if the backing plate will work, but at the least, the wide five '36 drums won't fit the '35 wheels.

If you keep the spokes, remember that your new tubes will need adequate padding to protect against abrasion from the spoke heads.

Alan

supereal
10-23-2011 @ 7:36 PM
Senior

Grif : One wheel is as good as another, provided they aren't bent, and have decent inner rim surfaces, and the lug holes aren't damaged (wallowed).

j.grif
10-23-2011 @ 6:21 PM

36 coupe has spoke wheels possibly from a 35 car but the tires are old and in bad shape. The spokes look good but have read where the 36 wheels ride better. So,should I go for the 36 wheels if available or stick with the spoked wheels when getting new tires?? I appreciate your help as always

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org