Topic: Tires

j.grif    -- 10-23-2011 @ 6:21 PM
  36 coupe has spoke wheels possibly from a 35 car but the tires are old and in bad shape. The spokes look good but have read where the 36 wheels ride better. So,should I go for the 36 wheels if available or stick with the spoked wheels when getting new tires?? I appreciate your help as always

supereal    -- 10-23-2011 @ 7:36 PM
  Grif : One wheel is as good as another, provided they aren't bent, and have decent inner rim surfaces, and the lug holes aren't damaged (wallowed).

ford38v8    -- 10-23-2011 @ 11:29 PM
  grif, yes, the '36 wheel is pretty solid, where the '35 spokeys may not be. The bigger question though, is how you wound up with spokies on a '36? I'm not sure if the backing plate will work, but at the least, the wide five '36 drums won't fit the '35 wheels.

If you keep the spokes, remember that your new tubes will need adequate padding to protect against abrasion from the spoke heads.

Alan

CharlieStephens    -- 10-24-2011 @ 9:04 AM
  There has got to be a lot more to this story. Did a previous owner convert to hydraulic brakes and use 5 on 5 1/2 drums? If this is the case be sure you use spacers on the drums when you mount the wire wheels. I like the look of the wire wheels and might use them on a driver instead of going to the trouble of finding new brake drums and hubs. I have never heard of there being any problems with the '35 wire wheels. I doubt you could tell any difference in the ride between the two types of wheels. If you have the '36 wheels available I would get them and put them under the bench in case you decide to do a restoration in the future.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 10-24-11 @ 9:08 AM

j.grif    -- 10-24-2011 @ 9:11 AM
  Thanks Super and Alan, so when the time comes will check out the condition of the spoked wheels with the tires off. I do have extra 36 drums. Somewhere I saw information that the coupe used to be in West Virginia and we live in Washington state. Has hyd brakes but the master cylinder and pedal was off who knows what and and we replaced that setup. Beginning to get the brakes repaired and adjusted for even stopping. Bought the car on impulse and suffering from nostalgia. Have no info about when the spoke wheels were put on. Lots of work but liking it. Thanks

j.grif    -- 10-24-2011 @ 9:27 AM
  Thanks Charlie,
Not sure what you mean by 5 on 5 1/2 drums. Just a beginner here. But the drums do fit the spokes wheels
and there are no spacers. Could you let me know about the spacers location and size and purpose? Thanks

Stroker    -- 10-24-2011 @ 4:18 PM
  j.grif:

The "five on five and a half" refers to: 5 studs, on a 5-1/2 inch bolt circle. Ford used this for many-many years, from the Model T era up until the end of the Flathead era. The exception was 1936-1939, when they used the John Tjaarda-inspired "wide fives". John Tjaarda van Sterkenburg, a Dutch immigrant with exceptional talent for car design was instrumental in the design of the Volkswagen "Beetle", which used a smaller metric version of the same wheel. You have probably noticed some design similarities between mid-thirties Zephyrs, Fords, and Beetles. There is a reason for this, as they came off the same drawing board. In the mid sixties, Pontiac also offered the Wide Five as an option on full size vehicles.

The Wide-Five is very rigid, as most of the side loads are taken by the drum, rather than the wheel disc. For this reason, many sprint cars in the 50's-70's used wide five racing wheels. It's a really good design, but has become sort of obscure in recent years, especially when it comes to 36-39 brake drums, which are not being reproduced to my knowledge.

This message was edited by Stroker on 10-24-11 @ 4:40 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3880