LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / sudden battery discharge?

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: sudden battery discharge? -- page: 1 2 3

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

fordmerc
09-21-2011 @ 10:40 AM

After driving my '39 6-8 miles, engine shut off. Initially turned over vigorously and coughed, but didn't start. I cranked a few more times but battery died rapidly(few=3-4 for 5-6 sec). This has happened before with a different battery. I did not test for spark since I was on the street but near to home so I towed it home. Battery SpGr 1.015! Put in a new battery and it started right away. Last time I blamed coil, and present coil is different.The starter solenoid is also not the one in place when this happened before.
Any ideas on what could cause such a sudden and total battery discharge?

supereal
09-21-2011 @ 1:14 PM
Senior

Are you sure the battery discharged, or did one of the cables open up? Sudden full discharge of a battery is rare, unless there is physical damage to the battery itself. Your specific gravity test should clear the battery issue. Unless there is a very loose connection between the battery terminals and the cables, or the cables to the solenoid, I'd look for internal corrosion where the battery cables meet the clamp-on terminals. Acid creeps into that area and insulates the contact. Sometimes the heavy draw at cranking will cause enough heat at that point to reduce the output. That may be the reason installing a new battery seemed to cure the problem. The terminals were exercised enough to reestablish the contact. Occasionally, enough acid enters the cable at the terminal to corrode the cable, itself. There may be signs of heating, but not always. The best way to isolate these problems is to place the leads of a voltmeter across each connection, such as the actual battery post and the terminal. Any reading is an indication of loss. At 6 volts, it only takes one high resistance to cause the system to go dead. Unless your cables are of good quality copper, and properly sized, they should be replaced. Many cables sold today have undersized conductors hidden by thick insulation. Some are even aluminum, which oxidizes and forms an insulator. Good cables are expensive, but absolutely essential for reliable operation.

ford38v8
09-21-2011 @ 1:14 PM
Senior

fordmerc, I'm such a wizbang expert on electricity, I can afford to offer my golden rule tried and true advice: Don't touch electricity or it will snap at you like a vicious dog or an old wife.

That said, I remember when I was a kid, a sick battery would take a charge and last a few more days, but now, they give no warning at all before they go belly up. My vast electrical knowledge now tells me to dump some money into a new battery, and I'm an electrical genius.

Alan

fordmerc
09-21-2011 @ 3:06 PM

Cables are "new", no visible corrosion; I cannot attest to their proper size. This has happened with a 3 year old battery (this time)and with a brand new one.(In fact I blamed the new one as bad, but later it took a charge well and I think it is OK; the newer one started the car this time). When the car "shut off", I was able to crank it with "full power"(?), but it didn't start and then further cranking just quickly ground to a halt.

37RAGTOPMAN
09-21-2011 @ 4:45 PM
Senior

fordmerc
did you check the battery for a draw when attaching the battery cables.?
check this out and get back to us with your finding
thanks 37RAGTOPMAN

51f1
09-21-2011 @ 4:48 PM
Senior

Check all of the cables and all of the connections between the battery and ground and the battery and the starter. Check the solenoid. There is probably a bad connection somewhere. If you have access to a battery load tester, check the battery.

Richard

TomO
09-21-2011 @ 6:19 PM
Senior

I agree with Supereal that sudden discharge of a battery without smoke is very unlikely. If the Neg battery cable or post touches the battery hold down, you would drain the battery, but there would be sparks and smoke. You should be able to see signs of this happening.

The gas gauge reacts the quickest of all gauges. Do you notice a sudden change in the reading when this happens? If it goes towards empty or fluctuates, you may have an intermittent short circuit in the wire that feeds the dash. Your lights would also be affected, but you would only notice this at night.

Just as a SWAG, I would examine the wires on the drivers side of the solenoid for signs that they may be making contact with the firewall. I would also look very closely where the harness goes through the firewall under the loom cover. I would also drive without the loom cover until I found the problem.

As you have been fighting this problem for a while, it would be better to keep this thread going until it is fixed. It would also help if you listed all of the actions you have taken since this problem started. Did this start right after you finished the restoration, or did it start after you did some repair?

Tom

supereal
09-21-2011 @ 8:19 PM
Senior

The clue is that your cables are "new". That doesn't assure that they are not the cause of your problem. Defective parts are everywhere. Reread my original post. I've seen this problem many times, even with one of our shop trucks that left me stranded last year. The battery cable that was molded to one terminal on the battery made almost no connection when it was moved. It, too, was "new".

This message was edited by supereal on 9-21-11 @ 8:21 PM

fordmerc
09-22-2011 @ 11:56 AM

Thank You all for help. I will take advantage of TomO’s offer so here’s a rough chronology:
I think this problem has been present ever since reassembly of the car.
It is intermittent and not really reproducible, although it happens in about the same situation each time: drive 5-10 miles and the car stops. Therefore I'm afraid of it and am reluctant to venture farther.

Things that have been done: (“new” means whatever is on offer at the vendors)
1. New wiring harness throughout
2. New ground and neg-to-solenoid cable.
3. 2 voltage regulators ( 1 new, 1 old)
5. 4. 2 different coils (one old, one new)
6. 3 different starter solenoids (1 old and 1 new ,1 used repro)
7. 3 different batteries (1 new, 1-3 yrs old, 1-4yrs old)
Testing:
1. No current from neg terminal to solenoid with ign off
2. No cables touching firewall or battery hold-down
3. Starter button removed from circuit
4. No obvious corrosion or discoloration at any visible terminal
5. No warm or hot wires
6. Under loom cover looked fine
7. *On one occasion only (in past), spark when ground disconnected – I cannot reproduce this.
Today:
1. No electric shorts identified. Newly charged battery=7.6V
2. Recheck after connecting battery same
3. Car started readily, runs fine. Drove around the block twice in space of 25 minutes, engine ran 25 min(mostly at idle)
4. At 24 minutes :
a. *Batt gauge midposition, rather than “N” where it had rested
b. Temp almost beyond “H”
c. *Gas gauge closer to empty than half where it had been earlier (but mine moves around a lot)
5. At 26 min engine shut off; restarted quickly 2 min later
6. Testing:
a. Batt voltage 7.4 V
b. 7.4 V at batt terminal on solenoid
c. 0 V at starter terminal on solenoid
d. *No resistance between batt and starter terminals on solenoid !!!*** (there was no continuity when tested earlier)
e. To the best of my ability to tell, no hot wires
f. No current flow detected from batt at neg terminal
1 hour after shutting off engine:
a. no change in testing
b. Batt acid : approx SpGr 1.220!
That’s too many words but I think I have covered most questions raised. The only suggestion not addressed is the cable but it seems that if it were too small it would be hot and if it were corroded I’d see it.

supereal
09-22-2011 @ 2:59 PM
Senior

You have pretty well covered it. The corrosion or poor connection between the cable and the terminal is seldom visible. If the problem reappears, I'd change cables, just to be sure. I always run a second cable from the point where the ground strap connects to the the body and/or the engine to one of the starter mounting bolts. A common 12 volt cable with eyelet ends works fine. If you don't have a ground strap to one of the head nuts, be sure to add one. Remember, the starter draws a lot of current, usually measured in 100's of amps when under load. A good battery, such as the Optima, provides as much as 850 cold cranking amps, and is ideal for old 6 volt vehicles. If batteries in your car have a short (no pun) life, it is time to run a check of the charging system. I've spent over a half a century chasing electrical problems, and learned not to take anything for granted.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org