LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / sudden battery discharge?

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: sudden battery discharge? -- page: 1 2 3

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

supereal
10-02-2011 @ 5:23 AM
Senior

Before you start swapping parts, put the leads of a voltmeter across each segment of the system with the power on. Any reading indicates loss in that part. Once you start to change parts, it is almost certain that you will have changed the problem, thinking it is fixed, only to have it happen again, probably at an inopportune time and place. As Henry put it, "diagnose, don't guess".

This message was edited by supereal on 10-2-11 @ 5:24 AM

fordmerc
10-01-2011 @ 1:42 PM

A follow up note to all who have helped: TomO has solved my concern about the solenoid having continuity when battery is connected, but not when battery disconnected.
The ignition switch was examined and tested on and off the car; it seems OK. There’s never been smoke. 3 solenoids do the same thing so that seems out, especially in view of TomO’s evidence.
I’ve reached the conclusion that the engine shutoff and the sparking are 2 different problems: The engine shutoff may have been no gas in the tank!!!
My plan is to isolate what seems to be a somewhat heat sensitive open circuit will be to isolate the various places that have been suggested as problem areas: brake switch and clock and anything else I can take out of the circuit; I can replace the current resistor with another. I feel I have eliminated the regulator cut out only because the problem has occurred with old and new voltage regulators . I have checked voltage at the coil and it is 3.4 V even when the short is present. I’ll let you all know when I have solved the problem, but it will take time because while it happens intermittently, I cannot reliably reproduce the problem. Thanks again for guidance.

37RAGTOPMAN
09-30-2011 @ 6:52 AM
Senior

ford merc
try a different starter solinoid, and see if it makes a difference, in might not be completely shutting off,and might be feeding a certain amount of elect to the starter, not enough to make it turn over,but enough to drain the battery,
I had this problem with a MODEL A one time,
feel the starter to see if it is warm or hot,
also feel the generator if it is warm,
does anything have a smell to it ?
my 3 cents, 37RAGTOPMAN

unclemark
09-29-2011 @ 8:36 PM

I had a model T that did the exact same thing, it turned out to be the cut out on the generator, later in a different vehicle I had a similar problem resulting from a faulty regulator. Hope this helps a bit.

TomO
09-26-2011 @ 11:20 AM
Senior

Fordmerc,

You seem to be concerned about the continuity that you read across the solenoid. I went out to my car and checked out the continuity across the solenoid.

I disconnected the ground cable from the battery and the ohm meter read 0 ohms. I suspected a ground loop, so I checked a spare starter. The meter reads continuity when it is connected from the starter lug to the case and a brush is on a commutator segment. I believe that this is what you are seeing.

If a short is causing your car to stop, you should be able to smell smoke. Because you did not mention the smell, I am inclined to believe that you have an intermittent open circuit. The usual causes are loose connection at the ignition switch, resistor block and at the coil, a bad ignition switch or a bad resistor.

The ignition switch is a brush that rides on a piece of Bakelite and makes contact with brass posts that the wires are connected to. After many years of wear, the Bakelite wears down and keeps the brush from making contact with the brass post.

Tom

fordmerc
09-25-2011 @ 6:44 PM

I'm convinced the problem is electrical. I have not been able to cause the engine to stop as it did on the road. Battery discharge seems to occur after the car has been sitting most of the times it happened; I think it rapidly occurred only twice. Continuity across the solenoid measured with an ohmeter is same with and without power to batt side. Yes, I've tried the bigger hammer approach.
Plan will be to start to try and find a short somewhere; I.e.,start over. biggest challenge is that the problem resolves spontaneously at an unpredictable rate.

Dolman
09-25-2011 @ 1:06 PM

Thanks for the reminder of the cranking amps (It's touted in every battery ad.) and the presence of reactance. Should of had the second cup of heart starter (pun intended). I'll accept the retroactive F now.

supereal
09-25-2011 @ 11:59 AM
Senior

When dealing with a coil, you have to know the impedance of the unit, as it involves both resistance (the copper loss) and the reactance of the windings. that means that without special equipment, the only test you can perform with a multimeter is resistance. The primary winding at 68 degrees F is .47 to .51 ohms, the secondary is 5800 ohms. Coils designed for 3.5 volts input will have lives shortened by higher inputs as the insulation and winding are heated. That is why the ignition resistor is used to provide a sort of voltage regulation. Anyone wishing to run coils at higher voltages, such as 12 volts, can have them specially wound for that purpose. As for the power demand of the starter, at maximum torque, 14 foot pounds, the current draw is 500 amperes. That is why the cables and connections must be correct. We check starter current with a clamp on meter, the only tool that can safely handle that level.

TomO
09-25-2011 @ 11:29 AM
Senior

Fordmerc,

You did not connect your meter leads correctly for the voltage drop test. One end should be connected to the stud with the cable going to the starter and the other end should be connected to the NEG battery post. With the starter engaged, the reading should be under 1 volt.

You say that there is continuity between the battery terminal and the starter terminal on the solenoid, but no voltage present on the starter terminal. How are you measuring this? You should not be using an ohm meter on a circuit that has voltage applied to it, it will give you false readings.

Because you have gas present after the engine stops, we are all assuming that the reason the engine stopped is electrical.

The engine will keep running as long as the coil has enough voltage to provide a spark or the coil opens.

You need to start like this is a new problem and try to isolate the sources of the problem.

When the car dies, is the battery always dead? Have you checked for voltage at the coil when it dies and will not start? Have you tried vibrating the ignition switch, the resister board and the coil by tapping them with the insulated end of the screwdriver while the engine is running?

Tom

Dolman
09-25-2011 @ 7:46 AM

Dr. Super, aside from fordmerc's problem, what is the effect on the longevity of the primary of the coil which is designed to see a nominal 3 volts and with the resistor bypassed, the coil then sees a nominal 6 volts? Keeping in mind that I have had only 1 cup of heart starter and I require 2 cups to fuel my brain, the resistor acts as a current limiter and with the engine running would drop 3 volts. The current through the primary would be 2 amps and dissipate 18 watts, ignoring the resistance of the coil, with the resistor jumped, the coil then drops 6 volts for a current of 6 amps and dissipates 36 watts. Considering Kirchoff's law, what is the current demand of the starter? I am clueless as to that value. If this discussion is inappropriate for this forum, if you have time, please PM me at amc@alaska.com

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org