LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / 1941 ford distributor change over

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 1941 ford distributor change over -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

ken ct.
09-27-2011 @ 9:14 AM
Senior

If you install rubber nipples at the plug in holes your problems will be solved. ken ct.

supereal
09-24-2011 @ 9:04 AM
Senior

With the use of an adapter, you can update your '41 to the later "pancake" style distributor used from '46 to '48. It is easier to service than the original "helmet" type, in use until '42. That year, the "crab" distributor, a forerunner of the "pancake" was devised, but the cap caused problems when moisture came thru the radiator and entered the plug sockets. One of the advantages of the Ford system is that the dual points provide extended "dwell" that fully charges the coil. The disadvantage is the primitive vacuum actuated "snubber" that is supposed to retard the timing when under load. Usually, that isn't a big drawback, as most distributors haven't been set up on a machine to calibrate that feature, anyway.

TomO
09-24-2011 @ 7:05 AM
Senior

Skip Haney may have a rebuilt distributor and coil for your 41. It should have 11A stamped on the drive tang. Here is a link to the website where you can get his contact information.

http://www.fordcollector.com/

Tom

4ford
09-22-2011 @ 11:26 AM

thanks for your help. I have bult a lot of cars but not this vintage. and had good luck with changing over to elect ignitions. But if you guys think its not the thing to do well i like your expert opions. I will need to get the distributor becuse there is none on the car.
thanks again!!!!!

supereal
09-22-2011 @ 10:57 AM
Senior

The original style Ford distributor is, as said above, one of the most reliable units, designed above all, to be reliable, and able to be removed, replaced, and serviced by non-experts. The mechanical advance is well suited to the relatively slow turning engines, As long as the weights are free, and the springs in good condition, there is usually no need for fiddling. When the all vacuum distributors came along in '49, the adjusting of advance curves began, requiring a machine. Most of the aftermarket ignitions require extensive adjusting to give adequate performance. If that is your "thing", go for it. For those looking for "set it and forget it", it is hard to best the original.

4ford
09-22-2011 @ 9:59 AM

So what all you guys are advising me is to leave well enough alone.. and the conversion to the two bolt is not a good idia.

again thanks for all input!!!!!

Mike

Stroker
09-21-2011 @ 3:16 PM
Senior

4ford:

I agree with Alan and Super in this regard: If you are building a "driver", stick with
a stock ignition. If you are building a "racer" then go with an MSD system, keeping in mind that it will set you back about $800 including the module.

If I owned an 8BA, or 8RT, didn't care about originality, and wanted to make it trouble-free, I'd consider jerking the "post style" side-mount distributor, and installing one of the earlier "helmut" or "crab" units, simply because they are so reliable.

Since you already have a 59A, why make life more complicated than it needs to be?
Henry's engineers were tasked with the concept of simplicity. The Model T low-voltage timer ran directly off of the front of the cam, because that is the location that will provide the most precise timing. The lack of monkey-motion skew gearing ensured that the spark would be initiated at the proper time. Today's engines go one step farther, by
eliminating the timing gears; and trigger directly off of the crank. Model A's and B's
violated this principle by driving the distributor off of the center of the cam with skew gearing, but we'll forgive them, since they also ran the oil pump off of the bottom end of the shaft.

Above all, AVOID "conversions"!

ford38v8
09-21-2011 @ 1:29 PM
Senior

Didn't want to give you this advice before you asked for it: Your original football distributor, when set up correctly with a fresh rebuilt coil (not a new chinese coil) is the best engineered,and most reliable of any mechanical ignition system ever made.

To consider changing it out because it's time to service it is not good advice. You'll spend less and have better reliability by working with the Ford system. You asked for ideas, you now have mine.

Alan

4ford
09-21-2011 @ 12:55 PM

Talked to a guy in tex today that will convert an two bolt distributor with elct ign and rertronix stuff in it. and give me a mounting plate with it?? sounds like the best of both worlds/ any thoughts

supereal
09-21-2011 @ 10:11 AM
Senior

We have installed the later, 8BA type, engine in several cars, the latest being a '38 tudor. The posthole distributor will clear the belt with the 8RT pumps. If the engine still has the narrow belt crank pulley of course that, too, must be swapped. The 8BA waterpump pulleys are offset, and won't work. Depending upon the type of distributor used, the carb may also have to be changed if the distributor is the later vacuum advance kind. As Dan pointed out, there is no boss on the pasenger side head for he distributor clamp unless you are using later heads. We make up a bracket to be placed under a head bolt, if finned heads or stock early heads are used. I have an aversion to aftermarket ignition systems, as I've chased problems in too many over the years. For street use, a properly setup stock distributor usually is the best choice unless you plan to constantly fiddle with the system.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org