LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Road/Fog Lights

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Road/Fog Lights -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

wmsteed
08-15-2011 @ 10:12 AM
Senior

There are many people in the old car fraternity that believe that if a vehicle was not shipped from the factory with accessories, e.g. radios, driving/fog lights, etc., then the car is not correct if these accessories have been added.
The fact of the matter is that the dealers were very thrifty, they would order in cars for stock that were about as plain as possible.. Once they had a deal pending with a prospective buyer then the subject of radios, etc., would come up.
Of course it is also fact that times were tough in the 1930's.. The majority of ORIGINAL OWNERS added nothing to their cars, however, following WWII, when most people had ample money to spend, the accessory's, spot lights, fender skirts, custom hub caps,etc., started to appear on cars.
People that did a lot of rural driving had more of a need for better lighting so they were more likely to add driving/fog and/or spot lights to their vehicles.
I know that I would not want to be caught dead in either one of my first two cars that I had in '49-50.. Both of these cars had been fitted with about every piece of "bling" that Western Auto had to offer.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

ford38v8
08-14-2011 @ 6:35 PM
Senior

Dan, Any car that has been lovingly restored as I know your wagon is/will be deserves to be point judged regardless of unauthorized accessories. Judging should not be considered to be only for the trailer queens and the totally correct cars. Judging is a way to get to know your car better, to know if this or that feature could have actually been on the car when it was new, all sorts of reasons besides trying to get an award. Your car is on the Concourse to show it's best face, and it wants to be appreciated to the fullest extent possible.

The unfortunate thing associated with judging is that many times an owner can come to resent someone else's critique of his pride and joy. Even though he's spent umteen hours and dollars to present his car for the admiration of others, he feels that a close scrutiny of detail doesn't really qualify as admiration. Kinda like a guy that is proud to have his beautiful wife on his arm, but would avoid walking her past a couple of guys on a park bench.

Alan

Stroker
08-14-2011 @ 5:09 PM
Senior

Alan: I can certainly relate to the "how things were" vs "how things ought to be". My dad bought his 38 wagon from a dealer that he had purchased a 34,36 & 37 from, plus several Ford trucks. Dad would run his Fords for about 40K, and then trade them. The dealer knew that he had his own maintenance facility. including a service pit and lubrication equipment. Thus, there were always buyers for the trade in's as they had been impeccably maintained. Interestingly, one of the main
reasons to trade in for dad was that the battery was at the end of its' life. Batteries were very expensive relative to the cost of other consumables.

When dad bought his 38, my invoice shows a radio, Columbia 2-speed axle, and that's about it. I do know however that he went back to the same dealer and had a Loraine spotlight installed. He also
had a Southwind heater installed, but I'm unsure of the date. I have an old photo of the 38 when new, and it also sported a Trippe "Safety Speed-Light". I don't know whether this was dealer-installed or not, but if you were to inventory this particular vehicle during the year 1938, these
amenities would have been present.

So....for judging standards, only the radio and Columbia would be "admissible". If one takes the approach that "this is the way it was", then obviously there were some additions. If I ever enter this old gal into any sort of judging, it would probably be "touring", as that would not
require documentation on dad's "add-on's".

Dan

ford38v8
08-14-2011 @ 7:57 AM
Senior

James, Now there you go! Total originality for your truck with the bling. It'd make you sad to not have the stuff that the first owner had. Gotta go for it!

Alan

Alan

jameson5938
08-14-2011 @ 5:45 AM

Thanks so much for your opinions/thoughts! I totally understand and am weirded out a bit when I look at one of my 37 Pickups! The vehicle APPEARS to have original paint and windows, etc. although in poor condition. Was told it was in a barn for some 55 yrs! It appears the man purchased every accessory available to him when he bought the vehicle! Not sure if he was wanting to have one of a kind or had more money than sense!!! It obviously had a radio and a clock from the void holes. It must have had a spotlight because of the PARTIAL spot light remaining. I believe he also had road lights because of the evidence of two clamps on the front bumper. ORIGINAL in THIS situation would be to put it back as HE purchased it or had his dealership install original Ford accessories. Again - I totally understand what you are saying, but the man who owed THIS 37 Ford Pickup was all about BLING!!! If it was available, he wanted it!!! My job is now to FIND the parts that are partly missing or totally gone. I HOPE to bring my wife to the Auburn meet just to see some other vehicles and hopefully - find more parts! Think I will be putting white-walls on it too!!!

James A. Westbrook

ford38v8
08-13-2011 @ 5:57 PM
Senior

James, I can identify with your desire to make everything as original. Many, many guys understand that goal. Where the difference sometimes comes into play is that everyone's perception of original can vary by many degrees. What is "correct" as opposed to how it "Really" was are two very different things. I'm referring, of course, to the likelihood of a 1937 Ford truck having a road light and a sport light. I'm sure there were some, but how common a sight would they have been back in the day?

(This opinion from a guy with whitewalls on his '38 Ford!)

Alan

jameson5938
08-13-2011 @ 1:16 PM

I now have THE BOOK - "The 1937 Ford Book" from the club! On page 6-4 it shows the two-piece bracket and if I understand you correctly, this type will mount to my bumper. I am trying my very best to be as correct as I possibly can - even if it takes me many months or years to FIND the CORRECT part! I see so MANY that are no longer "original" or with new parts that are made LIKE the original and I am ONE MAN who appreciates things as they were originally intended to be!! I may be older and stubborn, but that is how I am!! To each his own, but for me - ORIGINAL!! I now see what I need - just need to find them!!! Thanks so much!! While I'm on here, does anyone have a recommendation for someone to restore a Sportlite Spotlight??? Reply or email westbrook4133@att.net
Thanks!!!
James

James A. Westbrook

37 Coupe
08-12-2011 @ 7:18 PM

The bracket for 1937 Ford should be the two piece style not the later three piece, both will work just don't know how correct you are wanting to get. I see why mayby you have not invested in the 1937 book because you have a pickup but a lot of information would pertain to what you may need,like road lamps some other accessories,engine and mechanical.

trjford8
08-12-2011 @ 6:33 PM
Senior

The brackets would be the same for a pickup. The brackets are adjustable and clamp on the bumper irons.

jameson5938
08-12-2011 @ 5:44 PM

Okay - so it is the UNITY Road/Fog light or lights! I will post a WANTED in the proper section of this site and hope for the best! I would like to know what the mounting bracket would look like since I can find a photo for is on a CAR and I have a pickup! Thanks for all the help!!!

James A. Westbrook

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org