Topic: Road/Fog Lights

jameson5938    -- 08-12-2011 @ 3:53 AM
  I have received multiple answers to the question of which road/fog lights are CORRECT for a 1937 Ford. Just wanted to get more answers/opinions on this before purchasing some! Is the UNITY brand the correct one or is the GUIDE correct? I read that there was a part# 78-15200 and did NOT have the Ford logo. If this IS correct, what is the size of the lens? I also believe this is a separate bulb, reflector and lens - is THIS correct?? ANY info. is appreciated!!!

James A. Westbrook

37 Coupe    -- 08-12-2011 @ 6:06 AM
  A lot of the information you are asking is in the 1937 Ford restoration book available on this site. In the book it states that the 1937 Ford road lights as they were called are marked UNITY MFG.CO Chicago ,Ill.USA and the Ford logo was not used until January 1938. The first lens were dark yellow almost orange fluted lens at some point changed to light yellow,some are marked 9065 with again Unity Mfg Chicago on them. Most of the ones I see for sale and the ones I have on my 37 Ford also say approved Penna 1937 on them. Pennsylvania was stict on Road lamp use and required two other than the usual one that Ford initially offered,probably to prevent them apearing as a single lamped motorcycle to oncoming.

mdurhan    -- 08-12-2011 @ 2:19 PM
  It is interesting to me that you mention that about Pennsylvania. When I was in the EFV8 club back in the 1960's and 70's, I had always heard that Standard model Fords (with one tail light) had to have two tail lights if they were going from Dearborn to a Ford agency in PA. Or, maybe the PA dealer had to add them. Anyway, whenever I see a standard with two tail lights, I always wonder if it spent some of its life in the Keystone State.

37 Coupe    -- 08-12-2011 @ 4:44 PM
  It may have been more than the State of Penna that required additional right side tailamp in 1937,I don't know what other ones but the 37 book only says "States that required right side on standard models".

jameson5938    -- 08-12-2011 @ 5:44 PM
  Okay - so it is the UNITY Road/Fog light or lights! I will post a WANTED in the proper section of this site and hope for the best! I would like to know what the mounting bracket would look like since I can find a photo for is on a CAR and I have a pickup! Thanks for all the help!!!

James A. Westbrook

trjford8    -- 08-12-2011 @ 6:33 PM
  The brackets would be the same for a pickup. The brackets are adjustable and clamp on the bumper irons.

37 Coupe    -- 08-12-2011 @ 7:18 PM
  The bracket for 1937 Ford should be the two piece style not the later three piece, both will work just don't know how correct you are wanting to get. I see why mayby you have not invested in the 1937 book because you have a pickup but a lot of information would pertain to what you may need,like road lamps some other accessories,engine and mechanical.

jameson5938    -- 08-13-2011 @ 1:16 PM
  I now have THE BOOK - "The 1937 Ford Book" from the club! On page 6-4 it shows the two-piece bracket and if I understand you correctly, this type will mount to my bumper. I am trying my very best to be as correct as I possibly can - even if it takes me many months or years to FIND the CORRECT part! I see so MANY that are no longer "original" or with new parts that are made LIKE the original and I am ONE MAN who appreciates things as they were originally intended to be!! I may be older and stubborn, but that is how I am!! To each his own, but for me - ORIGINAL!! I now see what I need - just need to find them!!! Thanks so much!! While I'm on here, does anyone have a recommendation for someone to restore a Sportlite Spotlight??? Reply or email westbrook4133@att.net
Thanks!!!
James

James A. Westbrook

ford38v8    -- 08-13-2011 @ 5:57 PM
  James, I can identify with your desire to make everything as original. Many, many guys understand that goal. Where the difference sometimes comes into play is that everyone's perception of original can vary by many degrees. What is "correct" as opposed to how it "Really" was are two very different things. I'm referring, of course, to the likelihood of a 1937 Ford truck having a road light and a sport light. I'm sure there were some, but how common a sight would they have been back in the day?

(This opinion from a guy with whitewalls on his '38 Ford!)

Alan

jameson5938    -- 08-14-2011 @ 5:45 AM
  Thanks so much for your opinions/thoughts! I totally understand and am weirded out a bit when I look at one of my 37 Pickups! The vehicle APPEARS to have original paint and windows, etc. although in poor condition. Was told it was in a barn for some 55 yrs! It appears the man purchased every accessory available to him when he bought the vehicle! Not sure if he was wanting to have one of a kind or had more money than sense!!! It obviously had a radio and a clock from the void holes. It must have had a spotlight because of the PARTIAL spot light remaining. I believe he also had road lights because of the evidence of two clamps on the front bumper. ORIGINAL in THIS situation would be to put it back as HE purchased it or had his dealership install original Ford accessories. Again - I totally understand what you are saying, but the man who owed THIS 37 Ford Pickup was all about BLING!!! If it was available, he wanted it!!! My job is now to FIND the parts that are partly missing or totally gone. I HOPE to bring my wife to the Auburn meet just to see some other vehicles and hopefully - find more parts! Think I will be putting white-walls on it too!!!

James A. Westbrook

ford38v8    -- 08-14-2011 @ 7:57 AM
  James, Now there you go! Total originality for your truck with the bling. It'd make you sad to not have the stuff that the first owner had. Gotta go for it!

Alan

Alan

Stroker    -- 08-14-2011 @ 5:09 PM
  Alan: I can certainly relate to the "how things were" vs "how things ought to be". My dad bought his 38 wagon from a dealer that he had purchased a 34,36 & 37 from, plus several Ford trucks. Dad would run his Fords for about 40K, and then trade them. The dealer knew that he had his own maintenance facility. including a service pit and lubrication equipment. Thus, there were always buyers for the trade in's as they had been impeccably maintained. Interestingly, one of the main
reasons to trade in for dad was that the battery was at the end of its' life. Batteries were very expensive relative to the cost of other consumables.

When dad bought his 38, my invoice shows a radio, Columbia 2-speed axle, and that's about it. I do know however that he went back to the same dealer and had a Loraine spotlight installed. He also
had a Southwind heater installed, but I'm unsure of the date. I have an old photo of the 38 when new, and it also sported a Trippe "Safety Speed-Light". I don't know whether this was dealer-installed or not, but if you were to inventory this particular vehicle during the year 1938, these
amenities would have been present.

So....for judging standards, only the radio and Columbia would be "admissible". If one takes the approach that "this is the way it was", then obviously there were some additions. If I ever enter this old gal into any sort of judging, it would probably be "touring", as that would not
require documentation on dad's "add-on's".

Dan

ford38v8    -- 08-14-2011 @ 6:35 PM
  Dan, Any car that has been lovingly restored as I know your wagon is/will be deserves to be point judged regardless of unauthorized accessories. Judging should not be considered to be only for the trailer queens and the totally correct cars. Judging is a way to get to know your car better, to know if this or that feature could have actually been on the car when it was new, all sorts of reasons besides trying to get an award. Your car is on the Concourse to show it's best face, and it wants to be appreciated to the fullest extent possible.

The unfortunate thing associated with judging is that many times an owner can come to resent someone else's critique of his pride and joy. Even though he's spent umteen hours and dollars to present his car for the admiration of others, he feels that a close scrutiny of detail doesn't really qualify as admiration. Kinda like a guy that is proud to have his beautiful wife on his arm, but would avoid walking her past a couple of guys on a park bench.

Alan

wmsteed    -- 08-15-2011 @ 10:12 AM
  There are many people in the old car fraternity that believe that if a vehicle was not shipped from the factory with accessories, e.g. radios, driving/fog lights, etc., then the car is not correct if these accessories have been added.
The fact of the matter is that the dealers were very thrifty, they would order in cars for stock that were about as plain as possible.. Once they had a deal pending with a prospective buyer then the subject of radios, etc., would come up.
Of course it is also fact that times were tough in the 1930's.. The majority of ORIGINAL OWNERS added nothing to their cars, however, following WWII, when most people had ample money to spend, the accessory's, spot lights, fender skirts, custom hub caps,etc., started to appear on cars.
People that did a lot of rural driving had more of a need for better lighting so they were more likely to add driving/fog and/or spot lights to their vehicles.
I know that I would not want to be caught dead in either one of my first two cars that I had in '49-50.. Both of these cars had been fitted with about every piece of "bling" that Western Auto had to offer.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3573