LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Interior painting

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Interior painting -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

gmcbuffalo
08-10-2011 @ 9:50 AM

I assume that he interior body waw painted the same color as the exterior.

What was the original primer color for the body?

My coupe was painted Vineyard Green and I will repaint it the same.

Having trouble find the paint for that color. Each store has a different color for the numbers I give them. Anywhere from red to blue. One store came up with what they called Dark Olive Green (PPG). Most store can't even come up with a paint.

Thanks

Greg Meiling
1935 3 Window Coupe

supereal
08-10-2011 @ 11:00 AM
Senior

If you can find a place on the car that still has some original paint, such as the inside of the glove box lid, most professional stores can match it with a special device. Vineyard green is shown in the PPG book as a '37-'38 color, and has a chip to show. The formula in the book is: 333=12.3, 311= 51.3, 375=92.4, 358=420.9, 329=451.7 This is parts per quart for PPG acrylic lacquer paint. A professional can probably make sense of this. Most of the paint on the interior that I've seen seems to be mostly overspray.

gmcbuffalo
08-10-2011 @ 10:12 PM

supereal
Is the primer under the paint black?

Greg Meiling
1935 3 Window Coupe

ford38v8
08-10-2011 @ 11:00 PM
Senior

Greg, I've not seen any black primer, Mine and some others I've seen have red oxide primer. Regulators are black. Door skins and some outer panels have a spray coat of undercoat for sound deadening. None of this is visible, though, so do what you need to do.

Alan

watwasithinking
08-11-2011 @ 5:05 AM

Here is a great source for color information and paint materials for Fords:www.autocolorlibrary.com

Here is a link that you can copy and paste that will take you to the 1933 model year colors.
http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/aclchip.aspx?image=1933-ford-pg01.jpg

watwasithinking

nelsb01
08-11-2011 @ 1:27 PM
Senior

When I used paint remover on my 1936 fenders, there was a black oxide type material on the surface of the steel. I presume this to be some form of metal treatment that Ford used. I comes off with media blasting or sanding. It was probably the stuff that allowed our old Fords to be around today.

supereal
08-11-2011 @ 1:36 PM
Senior

Greg: I don't recall seeing any primer other than red oxide on the interior of very old cars, such as Model A's. I can't say that is a factory primer, as most of the cars I've restored were either abandoned "projects", or fairly tattered examples. I doubt that Ford used anything other than the common chassis black, if it wasn't red. Most fenders of the time were not spray painted, but dipped. Lacquer was used, and it usually didn't produce runs.

watwasithinking
08-11-2011 @ 9:26 PM

The answer to your question is red oxide primer.

Pyroxylin Lacquer Color was used until switch to Synthetic Enamel Color in April 1933.

Here are the steps used by Ford commencing in 1932:

!. Body was dipped in phosphoric acid solution
2. Rinsed in water and then forced dried
3. Pyroxylin Putty knifed on to correct inperfections in metal /Sanded Smooth When Putty Dried
4. Two coats of Red Oxide Primer Applied
5. Bodies were then baked at 160-180 degrees/ 60 min.
6. Wet Sanding with 400 grit
7. Two Coats of Pyroxylin Lacquer Color Applied
8. Air Dry For Five Minutes
9. Two More Coats of Pyroxylin Lacquer Color Applied
10.Color Is Then baked For Twenty Minutes
11.Final Wet Sanding
12 Machine Polished With Polishing Compound

Note: With the introduction of enamel color finishes Ford eliminated the need for final sanding and buffing.

watwasithinking

42wagon
08-12-2011 @ 3:07 AM
Senior

The black coating some of you are finding under everything else is created by the reaction between the phosphoric acid and the bare steel. In itself it provided some rust protection.

Then the entire car was given a coating of red oxide primer. Depending on the assembly plant the underside of the floor was either painted body color or black.

It appears that the iron mountain station wagon body plant painted the underside of the floor black.

The car was then given the coating of body paint on the outside. Any area on the inside of the body that would be covered with something else was not painted with the body paint. Why waste paint where it couldn't be seen?

gmcbuffalo
08-12-2011 @ 10:05 PM

Thanks Guys.

watwasithing I gave those numbers to a local paint store and nothing seemed closed to green. Which seemd strange to me.

Greg Meiling
1935 3 Window Coupe

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org