Topic: Interior painting

gmcbuffalo    -- 08-10-2011 @ 9:50 AM
  I assume that he interior body waw painted the same color as the exterior.

What was the original primer color for the body?

My coupe was painted Vineyard Green and I will repaint it the same.

Having trouble find the paint for that color. Each store has a different color for the numbers I give them. Anywhere from red to blue. One store came up with what they called Dark Olive Green (PPG). Most store can't even come up with a paint.

Thanks

Greg Meiling
1935 3 Window Coupe

supereal    -- 08-10-2011 @ 11:00 AM
  If you can find a place on the car that still has some original paint, such as the inside of the glove box lid, most professional stores can match it with a special device. Vineyard green is shown in the PPG book as a '37-'38 color, and has a chip to show. The formula in the book is: 333=12.3, 311= 51.3, 375=92.4, 358=420.9, 329=451.7 This is parts per quart for PPG acrylic lacquer paint. A professional can probably make sense of this. Most of the paint on the interior that I've seen seems to be mostly overspray.

gmcbuffalo    -- 08-10-2011 @ 10:12 PM
  supereal
Is the primer under the paint black?

Greg Meiling
1935 3 Window Coupe

ford38v8    -- 08-10-2011 @ 11:00 PM
  Greg, I've not seen any black primer, Mine and some others I've seen have red oxide primer. Regulators are black. Door skins and some outer panels have a spray coat of undercoat for sound deadening. None of this is visible, though, so do what you need to do.

Alan

watwasithinking    -- 08-11-2011 @ 5:05 AM
  Here is a great source for color information and paint materials for Fords:www.autocolorlibrary.com

Here is a link that you can copy and paste that will take you to the 1933 model year colors.
http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/aclchip.aspx?image=1933-ford-pg01.jpg

watwasithinking

nelsb01    -- 08-11-2011 @ 1:27 PM
  When I used paint remover on my 1936 fenders, there was a black oxide type material on the surface of the steel. I presume this to be some form of metal treatment that Ford used. I comes off with media blasting or sanding. It was probably the stuff that allowed our old Fords to be around today.

supereal    -- 08-11-2011 @ 1:36 PM
  Greg: I don't recall seeing any primer other than red oxide on the interior of very old cars, such as Model A's. I can't say that is a factory primer, as most of the cars I've restored were either abandoned "projects", or fairly tattered examples. I doubt that Ford used anything other than the common chassis black, if it wasn't red. Most fenders of the time were not spray painted, but dipped. Lacquer was used, and it usually didn't produce runs.

watwasithinking    -- 08-11-2011 @ 9:26 PM
  The answer to your question is red oxide primer.

Pyroxylin Lacquer Color was used until switch to Synthetic Enamel Color in April 1933.

Here are the steps used by Ford commencing in 1932:

!. Body was dipped in phosphoric acid solution
2. Rinsed in water and then forced dried
3. Pyroxylin Putty knifed on to correct inperfections in metal /Sanded Smooth When Putty Dried
4. Two coats of Red Oxide Primer Applied
5. Bodies were then baked at 160-180 degrees/ 60 min.
6. Wet Sanding with 400 grit
7. Two Coats of Pyroxylin Lacquer Color Applied
8. Air Dry For Five Minutes
9. Two More Coats of Pyroxylin Lacquer Color Applied
10.Color Is Then baked For Twenty Minutes
11.Final Wet Sanding
12 Machine Polished With Polishing Compound

Note: With the introduction of enamel color finishes Ford eliminated the need for final sanding and buffing.

watwasithinking

42wagon    -- 08-12-2011 @ 3:07 AM
  The black coating some of you are finding under everything else is created by the reaction between the phosphoric acid and the bare steel. In itself it provided some rust protection.

Then the entire car was given a coating of red oxide primer. Depending on the assembly plant the underside of the floor was either painted body color or black.

It appears that the iron mountain station wagon body plant painted the underside of the floor black.

The car was then given the coating of body paint on the outside. Any area on the inside of the body that would be covered with something else was not painted with the body paint. Why waste paint where it couldn't be seen?

gmcbuffalo    -- 08-12-2011 @ 10:05 PM
  Thanks Guys.

watwasithing I gave those numbers to a local paint store and nothing seemed closed to green. Which seemd strange to me.

Greg Meiling
1935 3 Window Coupe

TomO    -- 08-13-2011 @ 7:16 AM
  Greg, your local PPG dealer should be able to look up the formulas in the antique car section of PPG web site. If he is giving you strange colors, have a pint mixed by TCP Global and shipped to you. Then spray a sample and show it to your PPG dealer for color matching.

The sample should be the same type of paint that you are going to spray on the car, ie: single stage urethane, base coat - clear coat, lacquer, etc.

The color match computer works best with base coat-clear coat.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3551