LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Need Advice

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Need Advice

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

Bill T
07-02-2011 @ 7:07 AM

Trying to get my 33 ford readyfor the Eastern National Meet at Saratoga Springs. The car is a new restoration and hasn't even been started yet. That is the problem. It won't start. The issue seems to be ignition. I can't even get a jolt by holding onto a plug wire, turning the ignition on and turning the engine over with the starter.

The distributor, coil and condenser are original and along with new points have supposedly been set up on a Sun Machine. The wiring is new, including dash/engine harness and fuse block. I assume it would be hard to screw this up. The wires that came assembled to fuse block can be connected to either termial on the ammeter and/or ignition switch with no effect on operation, except the ammeter might work backwards.

So far, with the ignition switch on, and the engine turning, the red wire to the distributor primary circuit is hot. No pulsation is seen on the ammeter and no spark is noted on the secondar circuit. Note: there may be a small leak in the ignition switch. It shows a small bump in the red wire(less than 1/2 volt) when the switch is off.

At this point: What to do? Is my reasoning right? Have I missed anything simple? I do have another distributor that was set up at the same time the first one was set up. If so is it possible to change the distributor with out having to pull the cooling system. I need advice.

Thanks,

Bill Taylor

TomO
07-02-2011 @ 8:02 AM
Senior

The ammeter just shows the current in the battery circuit and cannot be used to diagnose your problem.

If you don't have a voltmeter, go to Radio Shack or Sears and buy a meter with a needle (analog meter).

Check the voltage at the input to the coil. It should be above 5 volts with the points open and below 5 volts with the points closed.

If the voltage does not vary when you crank the engine, the points are not operating or the coil is not seated on the distributor. If the voltage does vary, then your coil is not providing spark. Your condenser could be the problem also.

Tom

supereal
07-02-2011 @ 10:47 AM
Senior

You can swap distributors without draining the cooling system. It is close quarters, but isn't a big job. Just be sure, when bolting on the different distributor, that the drive tang is in the proper position, It is made off center to put the distributor in phase, and if you try to bolt it on without being properly placed, either the bolts won't fit or, if you do get any started, it will break the ears off the distributor. From your description, I would suspect that one of the point sets isn't making contact. It will still show opening and closing of the circuit, but will not operate the coil. One set "makes" the circuit, the other "breaks" it. If either isn't closing properly, no spark is generated. This condition isn't rare in a long stored unit.

nelsb01
07-04-2011 @ 10:01 AM
Senior

Hint for you when changing out distributor......
tape a thin piece of cardboard over the radiator fins facing the engine.........will protect the fins from bending and also keep your knuckles from bleeding profusely..........

This message was edited by nelsb01 on 7-4-11 @ 10:01 AM

40 Coupe
07-05-2011 @ 5:15 AM
Senior

I find it difficult to check out an ignition problem with the distributor on the car. Some of the analog voltmeters do not change readings fast enough to see the voltage change at the coil terminal. To get an idea of what is happening and what you should see, take the other distributor you have and using an Ohmmeter connect one lead to the body and the second to the center pad where the pig tail on the coil would connect, rotate the distributor by hand and you should see eight places in every rotation of the distributor where both contacts of the distributor open and the Ohmmeter reads infinity. If this is the case the distributor should work.
A 80 year old ignition condenser should not be used to run your car, I suggest going to NAPA and getting another. The coil will also go bad with age and MAY start the car but will quickly go bad with heat from the engine. The original coil can be rebuilt and will have no change in appearance from the original.
When connecting the coil to the distributor make sure the coil pig tail makes good contact with the center connector pad and the carbon brush on the bottom should move in and out of the coil and when installed should have some compression on the rotor. With good components and voltage to the coil you should have spark.

TomO
07-05-2011 @ 6:39 AM
Senior

If you just bump the starter, you should be able to see the change with any analog meter.

Tom

watwasithinking
07-05-2011 @ 9:03 AM

Bill T,
just a reminder while tracing your electrical system...
One of the biggest mistakes made by flathead owners is to leave the ignition toggle switch on the column drop in the "on" position when the motor is not running. If the switch is left in this position for too long the ignition coil windings will get fried and short out. (If the points happen to be in the closed position they will also get burned and pitted). It is very easy to get distracted or have someone assisting you and not familiar with this no no and make this fatal mistake. Believe me...I know first hand....this is how I got my name.... watwasithinking.

Before replacing your distributor I would suggest that you simply swap out your coil and condensor with known good replacements. This should take about 15-20 minutes versus an hour and a half to r and r your distributor.

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org