LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / starting problem 1940

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: starting problem 1940 -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

old1936ford
11-15-2009 @ 5:10 PM

The 36 has been running great. Still a little grinding but I found a transmission guy that's going to look at it. Now for the starting problem.
In the AM I pump it twice & she starts instantly. Runs just a little rough for a min or so then runs well. The next two or three times it will start instantly. Then it will get a little hard to start. May take 2 or 3 secs. I also can smell a little gas like it is flooding. I took the carb off & soaked it. The float seemed work fine. Plugs looked OK. I use MMO in the gas & oil.
36 with a 40 v-8,Electronic Ign. 12 volt. Elec fuel pump. Any Ideas? After cleaning the carb. it did the same thing.
Thanks, Joe

trjford8
11-15-2009 @ 8:22 PM
Senior

Joe, if you are running an electric fuel pump full time it may be putting out too much pressure to the carb and causing flooding. I would look at putting a pressure regulator in line as the carb only needs about 2-3 lbs pressure.

supereal
11-16-2009 @ 9:10 AM
Senior

More often than not, electronic ignition systems on old cars produce that kind of problem. They tend to be heat sensitive. If a car comes to us with an electronic ignition conversion and starting problems, almost without fail, we know just where to look. It is a mystery to me why anyone spends time and money on them when a properly set up stock system will run for years without problems.

old1936ford
11-16-2009 @ 12:51 PM

I have a regulator & it is set for 2#. Runs fine most of the time. Fule line is 5 in above the engine so I ruled out vaper lock. Any other ideas.

old1936ford
11-16-2009 @ 1:01 PM

Previous owner had duel points on the car. Couldn't keep the points adj so I changed to Elec. It has run well for about a year. Just started having to crank for a coupble secs. That dosen't bother me to much BUT the smell of gas is not good. It dosen't even have to be real hot to seam like it's flooding out. Past summer I ran 1000 miles in 90 to 100 heat. No problems. I'm going to soak the carb again & put in a new needle valve.
Wish I had an old dist. The old Fords ran with them back then. No reason why they can't run with them now.
Any other ideas?
Thanks,
Joe

supereal
11-17-2009 @ 8:20 AM
Senior

If there is a problem keeping the points in a stock distributor in adjustment, almost always the bushings and/or the shaft are badly worn, or the points are inferior quality.

TomO
11-17-2009 @ 9:18 AM
Senior

Which manufacturer and model carburetor do you have, Ford or Stromberg?

Ford carburetors may leak gas at the power valve gasket.

Tom

old1936ford
11-17-2009 @ 1:50 PM

When I had the carb (model 59 Ford) apart I filled the bowl with gas & let it sit for about 6 hours. The tissue paper I had under the carb did not have any signs of gas leakage. A year or two ago I replaced a bad power valve with a new one using a new gasket. Up until now I have never smelled gas or had any problem with starting. It always has run just a little rough after starting but with a couple pumps it smothes out. It's cool here today 60's. I just started the TAXI. It started instantly no gas smell. I am going to run it again this week end before I replace the valve in the carb. Any other ideas?
Thanks, Joe

TomO
11-18-2009 @ 8:05 AM
Senior

The two most common causes of flooding with the Ford carburetor are the power valve gasket and the float level.

When the carburetor is cold, the gasket may not leak as fast as when the carburetor is at normal engine operating temperature. When i do the leak test, I also look very carefully at the gasket for signs of gas.

Tom

old1936ford
11-18-2009 @ 3:21 PM

Thanks, I will check out both. I just received a rebuild kit. I will repace the gasket & check the float level. I just got back from a 300 mile tour & my gas milage was sameas always 15.1 MPG. The plugs looked real good. A light brown. I'm more inclined to think the power valve gasket may be the problem. We'll see.
Thanks again,
Joe

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org