LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / LB bearing caps

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: LB bearing caps -- page: 1 2 3

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

37RAGTOPMAN
04-02-2011 @ 6:06 PM
Senior

superreal
If you read my post entirely,.all I was saying it might be worth a try,if it does not work, go to plan B
37RAGTOPMAN

supereal
04-02-2011 @ 11:02 AM
Senior

The reason the caps are unique to a particular engine is because of differences in the block casting itself. They are attached to the block before boring, which compensates for any differences. The main bearing clearance is very tight, between.000 to .003, literally leaving no room for error.

37RAGTOPMAN
04-02-2011 @ 5:39 AM
Senior

alanwoodieman
I with you, save the engine,!!! NOT MADE ANYMORE,!!!
I also think how far could the caps be off,
being FORD bored thousands even millions,and only had one set to bearing, I am sure these boring machine were kept on specs,
this was not a hand fitted engine,it was massed produced,
Put the caps on and torque down,then a simple bore gauge will tell you instanly if it is out of round,
my 3 cents worth, 37 RAGTOPMAN

alanwoodieman
04-01-2011 @ 9:24 AM
Senior

I still would try to locate a set of caps for this engine, regardless if you use it or not. Proper caps and a line bore would save this engine. A friend who builds engines and I just for the "H" of it swapped some caps between 39-41 engines and to our amazment they were identicle, or so close that a line bore would have made them good, so never say never

thespringman
03-31-2011 @ 9:37 PM

Thanks for your input and support, I guess that maybe I was trying to do something that is not that important since this will not be a concourse vehicle, I do intend to drive it and enjoy gently using it since that is part of a great hobby. I have two good 37 or 38 engines that would require very little effort to get cleaned up and running. Maybe just rings, a valve job and new bearing inserts as both are low mileage. Makes more sense to spend the money on other things to make the car look as it should. Seems like everything in this hobby costs so much lately - even the paint and I need to get the project done so I can enjoy it while I can although my Dad was driving his 1924 Chrysler Touring until he passed away at 80.
Again thanks for the support.

37RAGTOPMAN
03-31-2011 @ 5:24 PM
Senior

springman
what if you installed a set of caps and used a dial indicator and see what the run out is.
FORD bored out a lot of engines, and made std bearings that they used on all the engine they line bored,
I would think they should be close,
they did not have lots of bearings to chose from fitting every engine different,
this was a mass produed engine,and assembley was rapid to say the least, FORD had a system that worked well.
remember a dial indiactor would tell you if the hole is oblong,
if it is true, I would install the bearing and crank and see if it turns, with no binding,
then use plastic gauge to see if you have the correct clearance,on the main and rods,
just my 3 cents 37RAGTOPMAN

ford38v8
03-31-2011 @ 4:28 PM
Senior

Springman, Your engine is not "Factory Correct" for your 1936 car, but is historically correct nonetheless, as Henry envisioned it's use in your car as a "Short Block" by the manufacture of block-off plates for the conversion. Your engine is a 1937 engine, which in itself is something to brag about, a one of a kind engine, but for overproduction of which were also installed in some 1938 cars, and produced also for the exact purpose to which you have put it, namely, as a Service Replacement Short Block specifically for earlier cars having in-head pumps.

You are in the position now to instruct the majority of those V8'ers who look under your hood, as most will have never seen a blockoff plate, and you can sign autographs for them as one who did exactly as Henry predicted. Historical accuracy is without a doubt well served here, and were he alive today, Henry Ford would smile on you and your Ford as a pair of survivors.

As a Purist myself, I know that you are not completely satisfied with my justification of your incorrect engine, but I also have the happy news that your Service Replacement block will cost you a mere 20 points should you enter your Ford for point judging on a EFV8CA Concourse.

As Supereal posted earlier, it's about having fun after all.

Alan

supereal
03-31-2011 @ 2:14 PM
Senior

I know this heresy, but unless you are planning to build a concourse correct car, I'd opt for the best engine I could find, regardless of year. This certainly doesn't diminish those who do want to make them "as Henry built them", when the majority of those who view our cars really are not that impressed. Having a car that is reliable and fun to actually drive is the essence of the hobby. Many, if not most, of us old enough to remember these cars are retired, or close to it, and have to watch our pennies. That is no crime, and there are plenty of us out here who love the hobby and our cars. That is what keeps the Club alive!

This message was edited by supereal on 3-31-11 @ 2:17 PM

thespringman
03-31-2011 @ 12:32 PM

Sorry for the delay in responding to the replys to my question. You confirmed what I suspected was the case and that is that the block and caps were a matched set from the Ford factory which would explain why I couldn't find a part number for the caps in the copy of the green book I have.
As to the project, I have retired and am trying to restore a 36 Cabriolet back to original condition. I have had the vehicle since the late 1950's but it has mostly been in storage. It is basically in good shape excpt for some rust in the floor pans (Paul Bradley finally got around to running a batch of them and I got one of the first ones). Unfortunately when I was young and foolish the main bearings gave out and I took the easy way out and put in a 21 stud block with insert bearings but with the water pumps in the block. Now that haunts me as the water pump block off plates on the later engine make it obvious that it is not the "correct" engine for that year.
How far will I go to get the correct looking engine in the car depends on how much it will cost as funds are not unlimited. I would also want to have the LB block checked over very carefully before proceeding as I would hate to drop a lot of money into it only to find a problem. From the comments it sounds like it might be possible to line bore out new caps to match the block. Any thoughts on the idea to metal spray caps from a different block to get a little extra metal to allow for machining? Could also spray the block but then it might be difficult to locate the center of the bearings.
Again, thanks for your input and the car will be back on the road with or without a '36 moter in it and will not be made into a rod as long as I am around.

supereal
03-27-2011 @ 8:31 PM
Senior

When we build race car engines we often install special main caps. However, these caps must be machined to match the crank to be used. The problem with used caps is that they have already been machined, and have no excess stock to permit reboring. Almost always engines that have been stripped of main caps, etc, were junked due to incurable damage. I sympathize with anyone wishing to save a block, but most don't want to spend the higher cost of the work involved. We recently reclaimed big bore Chevy block that had damage due to a tossed rod, but it was one of our leased engines, and cost wasn't a consideration. This has been an interesting thread, and I hope not worked to death.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org