LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / 49 ford tudor and my 15 year old son

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 49 ford tudor and my 15 year old son

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

Renee
11-01-2009 @ 3:25 PM

Hi, I got your contact info from some great guys at the Fordbarn site.

My 15 year old son is trying to get his great grandmother's 49 ford tudor with a flathead 8 cyl,3 speed w overdrive running/restored. It seems to be in pretty good shape. The body only has 1 little crease. All of the engine is there, except someone stole the carb and distributor :^( The wiring is shot. The brakes? He managed to get 1 wheel/brake off 1 side (rear), but the other won't budge.
Some history: the car was bought new by my father for his mom and driven by her for 10 years. Parked for the next 10, rebuilt by my husband and driven by him for about 15 years. Parked for another 15. It has all original parts with a 3 speed with overdrive. I have tried with help from my neighbor's hubby to turn the engine manually and all is good there, the wheels turn and there was no noise from that area.
Being a concerned mom, I want the car to be as safe as possible and worry that if we keep everything stock(steering, brakes, etc) it won't be too easy to drive plus I have read alot of conflicting info regarding changing from 6v to 12v. Wouldn't it be easier if it were 12v to have newer/safer parts?
I know absolutely nothing about this (my husband is in Afghanistan) and don't have alot of money to throw at it (3K), so; I am hoping someone here can help us find websites that will give us an idea of where to start, step by step, manuals, etc??? It seems like such a huge job we don't know what to do first! We have alot of tools and he would like to do as much as possible himself.
Thank you,
Renee

flathead4rd
11-01-2009 @ 4:06 PM

Renee; Besides this web site also check out shoeboxford.com They deal specificaly with 49, 50 & 51 Fords. Call the 800 number at the top of the page or post any questions you have regarding your car. Everyone there as well as here are very helpful.

TomO
11-01-2009 @ 4:15 PM
Senior

I suggest that you start by having your son join the V-8 Club. That will give him access to the roster and Club members near him. These member can assist in evaluating the car and getting it running again. They will know some of the techniques to solve problems such as removing a brake drum that is stuck on. He can also post questions on this Forum and I would encourage him to do so.

I would start by rebuilding the brakes. After a car has been parked for 15 years, there is probably significant rust in the wheel and master cylinder. Brake parts can be purchased at C & G Early Ford Parts at this web site:

http://www.cgfordparts.com/online.html

They will also have the Shop Manual on CD and the wiring harness, which should be the next step. The distributor and carburetor can be purchased from Baxter Ford Parts. You can E-Mail him at baxterford@sunflower.com

I would not convert the car to 12 volts. It will not improve safety or reliability and the expense can be applied to other items that you will need such as new tires.

Your budget is large enough to purchase the above mentioned parts. If the engine has to be rebuilt or your son is not capable to handle all of the tasks, the project may run over your budget. I would encourage your son to do the work himself as it will be a great source of pride when he has got it on the road and will teach him the value of perseverance and following advice from local Ford enthusiasts.

Tom

Chevguy49Ford
11-01-2009 @ 4:32 PM

You guys need to get out to where the local car guys meet. A&W, whatever, and find out about local antique car clubs. These are the kind of people who are willing and able to help you out and will have lots of great advice. I think it's great that your son is interested in the car, and that it is a family owned car since new. How about posting some pictures? Where are you guys located?

Cheers, Scott.

1949 Custom Tudor.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e42/35thLE/49016.jpg

37 Coupe
11-01-2009 @ 5:01 PM

Christmas is coming, or other holidays.A new V-8 Club membership with the bi-monthly V-8 Times might be a good gift for the boy.

trjford8
11-01-2009 @ 7:31 PM
Senior

In addition to the other good advice about joining the V-8 Club, etc. the club also has a book on the 49-51 Fords. It's filled with some great facts that can help your son. The book can be purchased on this site.
In fact if your husband is in the armed services serving our country in Afghanistan, I will buy the book and send it to your son. Leave me a message by clicking on the private message box in the upper right corner of this message.

51f1
11-02-2009 @ 5:12 AM
Senior

I agree that conversion to 12 volts is not necessary. A properly maintained 6-volt system works just fine.

A car that old takes more effort to drive than a modern car. The brakes and steering require more effort. Stops and turns have to be anticipated more than with a modern car. But properly maintained and driven, it is safe. And, when you maintain it as original, you are preserving a little bit of history.

Or you could sell it to someone who wants to restore it and use the money to buy your son a more modern car.

Richard

This message was edited by 51f1 on 11-2-09 @ 5:14 AM

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org