Topic: 49 ford tudor and my 15 year old son

Renee    -- 11-01-2009 @ 3:25 PM
  Hi, I got your contact info from some great guys at the Fordbarn site.

My 15 year old son is trying to get his great grandmother's 49 ford tudor with a flathead 8 cyl,3 speed w overdrive running/restored. It seems to be in pretty good shape. The body only has 1 little crease. All of the engine is there, except someone stole the carb and distributor :^( The wiring is shot. The brakes? He managed to get 1 wheel/brake off 1 side (rear), but the other won't budge.
Some history: the car was bought new by my father for his mom and driven by her for 10 years. Parked for the next 10, rebuilt by my husband and driven by him for about 15 years. Parked for another 15. It has all original parts with a 3 speed with overdrive. I have tried with help from my neighbor's hubby to turn the engine manually and all is good there, the wheels turn and there was no noise from that area.
Being a concerned mom, I want the car to be as safe as possible and worry that if we keep everything stock(steering, brakes, etc) it won't be too easy to drive plus I have read alot of conflicting info regarding changing from 6v to 12v. Wouldn't it be easier if it were 12v to have newer/safer parts?
I know absolutely nothing about this (my husband is in Afghanistan) and don't have alot of money to throw at it (3K), so; I am hoping someone here can help us find websites that will give us an idea of where to start, step by step, manuals, etc??? It seems like such a huge job we don't know what to do first! We have alot of tools and he would like to do as much as possible himself.
Thank you,
Renee

flathead4rd    -- 11-01-2009 @ 4:06 PM
  Renee; Besides this web site also check out shoeboxford.com They deal specificaly with 49, 50 & 51 Fords. Call the 800 number at the top of the page or post any questions you have regarding your car. Everyone there as well as here are very helpful.

TomO    -- 11-01-2009 @ 4:15 PM
  I suggest that you start by having your son join the V-8 Club. That will give him access to the roster and Club members near him. These member can assist in evaluating the car and getting it running again. They will know some of the techniques to solve problems such as removing a brake drum that is stuck on. He can also post questions on this Forum and I would encourage him to do so.

I would start by rebuilding the brakes. After a car has been parked for 15 years, there is probably significant rust in the wheel and master cylinder. Brake parts can be purchased at C & G Early Ford Parts at this web site:

http://www.cgfordparts.com/online.html

They will also have the Shop Manual on CD and the wiring harness, which should be the next step. The distributor and carburetor can be purchased from Baxter Ford Parts. You can E-Mail him at baxterford@sunflower.com

I would not convert the car to 12 volts. It will not improve safety or reliability and the expense can be applied to other items that you will need such as new tires.

Your budget is large enough to purchase the above mentioned parts. If the engine has to be rebuilt or your son is not capable to handle all of the tasks, the project may run over your budget. I would encourage your son to do the work himself as it will be a great source of pride when he has got it on the road and will teach him the value of perseverance and following advice from local Ford enthusiasts.

Tom

Chevguy49Ford    -- 11-01-2009 @ 4:32 PM
  You guys need to get out to where the local car guys meet. A&W, whatever, and find out about local antique car clubs. These are the kind of people who are willing and able to help you out and will have lots of great advice. I think it's great that your son is interested in the car, and that it is a family owned car since new. How about posting some pictures? Where are you guys located?

Cheers, Scott.

1949 Custom Tudor.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e42/35thLE/49016.jpg

37 Coupe    -- 11-01-2009 @ 5:01 PM
  Christmas is coming, or other holidays.A new V-8 Club membership with the bi-monthly V-8 Times might be a good gift for the boy.

trjford8    -- 11-01-2009 @ 7:31 PM
  In addition to the other good advice about joining the V-8 Club, etc. the club also has a book on the 49-51 Fords. It's filled with some great facts that can help your son. The book can be purchased on this site.
In fact if your husband is in the armed services serving our country in Afghanistan, I will buy the book and send it to your son. Leave me a message by clicking on the private message box in the upper right corner of this message.

51f1    -- 11-02-2009 @ 5:12 AM
  I agree that conversion to 12 volts is not necessary. A properly maintained 6-volt system works just fine.

A car that old takes more effort to drive than a modern car. The brakes and steering require more effort. Stops and turns have to be anticipated more than with a modern car. But properly maintained and driven, it is safe. And, when you maintain it as original, you are preserving a little bit of history.

Or you could sell it to someone who wants to restore it and use the money to buy your son a more modern car.

Richard

This message was edited by 51f1 on 11-2-09 @ 5:14 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=238