LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Battery Choice, Optima???

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Battery Choice, Optima??? -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

TomO
12-30-2010 @ 9:34 AM
Senior

Optima 6 volt batteries are available in the $119-$139 range. They do last longer than the regular lead acid batteries in the script cases and can be fitted into a script case easily.

They require less maintenance than the regular batteries and provide more cold cranking power.

Tom

37RAGTOPMAN
12-29-2010 @ 9:55 AM
Senior

I installed a AUTOZONE 6 VOLT battery in my 37 and my MODEL A,
WORK GREAT and no concerns with the overcharging problems that come with the OPTIMA,
and ONLY Cost about $80.00 and last maybe 4 to 5 years,, Instead of $160.00 to $200.00 plus,!!!for the OPTIMA
if you have battery acid problems , the battery is too old or the charging system is set to high,
changing out the battery after 2 years, or keeping on on a battery tender,... might also help
my 3 cents worth 37 RAGTOPMAN and KEEP on FORDIN,,,!!!

Old Henry
12-29-2010 @ 8:34 AM
Senior

If you like the looks of an original script battery but don't want to pay $300+ for one here's a kit for $30.00 that I put on my modern stock 6 volt battery to make it look script. I removed all of the modern stickers and put them on the back side of the battery against the firewall. Other than the battery posts being in the wrong corners it looks pretty realistic. It passed inspection without losing any points at my last concourse judging. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vintage-Battery-Repro-Kit-/220522996609?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item335831e381

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

51f1
12-29-2010 @ 2:18 AM
Senior

For what it's worth: I've always used Interstate 2-XHD batteries. But I have seen 6-volt Optima batteries for about the same price ($139.00). The Interstate is guaranteed 30 months, and it will last at least that long. I don't use an Optima because they look funny in an old truck and I am not going to pay $300+ to get one disguised as an old Ford battery. Two Interstates cost less than a disguised Optima. I have never had any trouble starting my engine in any weather with the Interstate. I've never had a corrosion problem with my battery. It sits on a Battery Mat, and I have felt washers on each terminal.

Richard

This message was edited by 51f1 on 12-29-10 @ 2:22 AM

supereal
12-28-2010 @ 12:53 PM
Senior

It depends on how much night driving you do. If you use the headlights frequently, turn them on and set the movable generator brush for seven volts at an idle speed fast enough to cause the cutout to close. If you seldom use the headlights, leave them off when you set the brush. If you are using the original relay type cutout, you might opt for the electronic version, which is more like a 2 brush regulator. C&G sells them for the 32-39 Fords. The 6 volt version is about$80. As for the Optima, as old cars are seldom driven extensively, if the system voltage doesn't rise above 7.5 volts for long periods, damage is unlikely.

BigBlockFord
12-28-2010 @ 11:41 AM

OK, so I just got the battery and the instructions say not to let more than 7.2 volts charge at high idle. Unless, you turn on headlights or install a voltage regulator. Well, I don't think i want to drive around with the lights on all the time. So what voltage regulator have people installed on a '33? I am charging at 7.8 at fast idle, with lights on 6.5.

supereal
12-21-2010 @ 1:52 PM
Senior

You won't be sorry. The Optima is a perfect choice for collector cars. They hold a strong charge almost indefinitely, and don't leak metal-eating acid. With more than 800 "cold cranking" amps. they are powerful. The main drawback is that they are quite sensitive to charging rates, so your car's system should be carefully checked to see that the rate is correct, and if you need, or want, to use a charger on the Optima, it must be a slow charge, or damage can result. With care, these batteries last twice or more longer than conventional types. If you need details, check their website.

BigBlockFord
12-20-2010 @ 9:15 AM

Thanks,

Just ordered one.

Old Henry
12-20-2010 @ 8:04 AM
Senior

Optima battery in a script case are available here: https://secure435.hostgator.com/~dlvry40/ufolder/ShowProducts.php?c=1&s=17&g=129&t=958&tn=

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

kubes40
12-20-2010 @ 6:08 AM
Senior

Whenever possible I have the Optima's placed within the Ford battery case. They last for years as opposed to a regular acid type battery and crank well under all conditions. A bit more costly up front. However, in my opinion, well worth it...

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org