Topic: Battery Choice, Optima???

BigBlockFord    -- 12-20-2010 @ 5:56 AM
  I hear a lot of talk about Optima batteries. Are these the best choice out there for early V8's? Generally, what is recommended for cranking amps for the old Ford?

Thanks

kubes40    -- 12-20-2010 @ 6:08 AM
  Whenever possible I have the Optima's placed within the Ford battery case. They last for years as opposed to a regular acid type battery and crank well under all conditions. A bit more costly up front. However, in my opinion, well worth it...

Old Henry    -- 12-20-2010 @ 8:04 AM
  Optima battery in a script case are available here: https://secure435.hostgator.com/~dlvry40/ufolder/ShowProducts.php?c=1&s=17&g=129&t=958&tn=

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

BigBlockFord    -- 12-20-2010 @ 9:15 AM
  Thanks,

Just ordered one.

supereal    -- 12-21-2010 @ 1:52 PM
  You won't be sorry. The Optima is a perfect choice for collector cars. They hold a strong charge almost indefinitely, and don't leak metal-eating acid. With more than 800 "cold cranking" amps. they are powerful. The main drawback is that they are quite sensitive to charging rates, so your car's system should be carefully checked to see that the rate is correct, and if you need, or want, to use a charger on the Optima, it must be a slow charge, or damage can result. With care, these batteries last twice or more longer than conventional types. If you need details, check their website.

BigBlockFord    -- 12-28-2010 @ 11:41 AM
  OK, so I just got the battery and the instructions say not to let more than 7.2 volts charge at high idle. Unless, you turn on headlights or install a voltage regulator. Well, I don't think i want to drive around with the lights on all the time. So what voltage regulator have people installed on a '33? I am charging at 7.8 at fast idle, with lights on 6.5.

supereal    -- 12-28-2010 @ 12:53 PM
  It depends on how much night driving you do. If you use the headlights frequently, turn them on and set the movable generator brush for seven volts at an idle speed fast enough to cause the cutout to close. If you seldom use the headlights, leave them off when you set the brush. If you are using the original relay type cutout, you might opt for the electronic version, which is more like a 2 brush regulator. C&G sells them for the 32-39 Fords. The 6 volt version is about$80. As for the Optima, as old cars are seldom driven extensively, if the system voltage doesn't rise above 7.5 volts for long periods, damage is unlikely.

51f1    -- 12-29-2010 @ 2:18 AM
  For what it's worth: I've always used Interstate 2-XHD batteries. But I have seen 6-volt Optima batteries for about the same price ($139.00). The Interstate is guaranteed 30 months, and it will last at least that long. I don't use an Optima because they look funny in an old truck and I am not going to pay $300+ to get one disguised as an old Ford battery. Two Interstates cost less than a disguised Optima. I have never had any trouble starting my engine in any weather with the Interstate. I've never had a corrosion problem with my battery. It sits on a Battery Mat, and I have felt washers on each terminal.

Richard

This message was edited by 51f1 on 12-29-10 @ 2:22 AM

Old Henry    -- 12-29-2010 @ 8:34 AM
  If you like the looks of an original script battery but don't want to pay $300+ for one here's a kit for $30.00 that I put on my modern stock 6 volt battery to make it look script. I removed all of the modern stickers and put them on the back side of the battery against the firewall. Other than the battery posts being in the wrong corners it looks pretty realistic. It passed inspection without losing any points at my last concourse judging. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vintage-Battery-Repro-Kit-/220522996609?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item335831e381

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 12-29-2010 @ 9:55 AM
  I installed a AUTOZONE 6 VOLT battery in my 37 and my MODEL A,
WORK GREAT and no concerns with the overcharging problems that come with the OPTIMA,
and ONLY Cost about $80.00 and last maybe 4 to 5 years,, Instead of $160.00 to $200.00 plus,!!!for the OPTIMA
if you have battery acid problems , the battery is too old or the charging system is set to high,
changing out the battery after 2 years, or keeping on on a battery tender,... might also help
my 3 cents worth 37 RAGTOPMAN and KEEP on FORDIN,,,!!!

TomO    -- 12-30-2010 @ 9:34 AM
  Optima 6 volt batteries are available in the $119-$139 range. They do last longer than the regular lead acid batteries in the script cases and can be fitted into a script case easily.

They require less maintenance than the regular batteries and provide more cold cranking power.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2327