LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Heater reducer 12v to6v

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Heater reducer 12v to6v -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

TomO
11-27-2010 @ 8:36 AM
Senior

son of 19.

Turn the switch to the right for defrost and to the left for direct heat. This agrees with your description of the switch.

If you are going to use the original switch with your 12 volt motor, be sure to replace the bulb with a 12 volt bulb.

Tom

sonof19
11-27-2010 @ 7:54 AM

I think facing the heater switch the first notch to the left defrost high. the next notch is low.and the motor is running backwards the first notch to the right is hi heat. and the next is low heat and the motor is running forward.any thoughts on this? son of 19

trjford8
11-24-2010 @ 11:43 AM
Senior

You might also try Napa Auto Parts. They have a good selection of heater motors. You need to know the rotation of your current motor(clockwise or counter).Somtimes you may have to shorten the shaft if you find one that will fit your mounting. Putting the 12 volt motor in your heater is the best solution.

sonof19
11-24-2010 @ 8:18 AM

Thanks for all the good advice. I think a 12v motor is the way to go. yes I do have new wireing.son of 19

37RAGTOPMAN
11-21-2010 @ 4:08 PM
Senior

I am with TOM O,
put a 12 volt fan motor in it,with a 3 way switch,
also I also HOPE you have ALL NEW WIRING in the car,PLUS disconnect switch,for safty sake
my 3 cents worth,37 RAGTOPMAN, and keep on FORDIN,,,!!!

supereal
11-21-2010 @ 10:48 AM
Senior

Can't quarrel with that, 46. Most non-professional meters can't measure current draw above milliamps, so we sometimes use a 1 ohm 20 watt resistor in series with the part to be tested, and put a voltmeter across the resistor. The voltage reading will be about 1 volt per amp. We have compared this with our Fluke clamp-on, and they are close. Once you know the current, you can approximate the amount of resistance to produce the nominal voltage. As even these small motors require more current than just a wire wound resistor can handle, a better voltage regulator/dropper would use a Zener diode and power resistor. A more cost effective solution is just to get a 12 volt motor, of course.

Early46
11-21-2010 @ 8:17 AM

I would agree, installing a 12V motor would be much better solution, just much more expensive. If you want multiple speeds, you will also have to find a switch/resistor combination designed for the motor.

Super,
I would agree that trying to measure the DC resistance of a motor to determine full load current is meaningless, but measuring the voltage drop across the motor or the voltage reducing resistor will only tell you if the voltage resistor is properly sized (i.e. correct resistance value). If the voltage reading is not to your satisfaction ( i.e. between 6 and 7 volts across the motor) then you should change the reducer. To determine the resistance value of the correct reducer, you will either need to determine the current draw or the value of the currently installed voltage reducing resistor.

Hopefully the resistance value of the reducing resistor is marked on the device, but if it is not then you must otherwise determine it's value.

As the nominal value is typically around 1 Ohm, making an accurate resistance measurement will be problematic, as most consumer grade VOM's or DVM's will be very inaccurate at this range. The measurement must be made with care, and you need to account for lead resistance and minimize probe contact resistance. Even using the Fluke 88, a high end automotive DVM requires the use of the Relative mode and then the accuracy will be around 20%. Once you know the resistance though, you essentially know the current and can compute an approximate value for the new resistor. This will only be an approximate value as the current drawn by the motor will change with applied voltage. That is why measuring the actual current at the nominal operating conditions is the best way!

An aside to everyone, the "voltage reducing" resistor sold by most after-market automotive vendors for over $12.00 is nothing more than a aluminum housed, wire-wound, chassis mount power resistor, available from most electronic suppliers for around $5.00!!

FINALLY, to the question of heat dissipation, the reducer will become warm, as it must dissipate around 30 Watts. To reduce the case temperature, I would recommend mounting the device on the firewall or frame so that the heat can be conducted away, essentially using the car as a heat sink. Make sure that there is very little between the resistor and the metal, as you need a good heat conducting path.

51f1
11-21-2010 @ 7:43 AM
Senior

Twelve volt heater motors are available from the usual parts suppliers. LMC has one for $109.95 on page 66 of their latest truck catalog. Phone 800-562-8782.

Richard

supereal
11-20-2010 @ 3:07 PM
Senior

Any good full service electric motor shop should be able to find one that will fit the mounting. We have one of those next door to our shop, and they have found all kinds of motor for us. Pull your motor and take it along.

sonof19
11-20-2010 @ 9:36 AM

I want to thank each and ever one of you for your help.no one should ever have any problem operating these old fords as long we have folks like the v-8 club.I thank I will buy me a 12v heater motor any one know where I locate one?

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org